• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2024] Alpenexpress & Tiroler Wildwasserbahn Rebuild

Alpenexpress' station track has also been removed now
index.php

Source

Well that's unexpected. The airgates are gone also. Looks like there are going to be more changes than I originally anticipated, which may not be a bad thing but there is just something really quite fun about the better old school Mack Powered Coasters.

Another way to look at it is you might as well refresh everything whilst it is down.

The only modern Mack powered coaster I have done is T Rex Family Coaster and it is...mediocre

Modern ones seem to start off much slower then speed up for the 2nd lap. The new individual lap bars are also far more intrusive than the single locking position common lap bar found oh older models (when putting new trains on old track you get uncomfortable rides like Flying Fish).

All told, a full modernisation could well result in a considerably worse ride experience than before, purely in terms of the physical ride hardware.

It makes sense to fix it all up and have it work for the next 30 years rather than do a bit of work to it and have to revisit the project in 5 years time and replace the train etc

All told, a full modernisation could well result in a considerably worse ride experience than before, purely in terms of the physical ride hardware.

In terms of the speed, they are adjustable to how they want it. So the fact the newer ones start slower will be by design rather than a limitation of the hardware, thus it doesn't mean that is what we will get here.

Being essentially in house too, they will be able to modify the design and get it exactly how they want it.

The system for Pirates is a good example of this. They updated their 30 year old free flow boat ride design to fit their needs, then subsequently made it avalaible to purchase for other parks to buy.

So the park has filed planning documents with Rust giving us a first look at the future.

Alpenexpress is being rebuilt as before. Tiroler Wildwasserbahn pretty much also; minus a slight layout change.
Zauber der Diamanten however is history; the hall is not returning.

Instead a rockwork landscape will surround the rides, with outdoor guest pathways throughout with some small tunnel sections. There will be a new shop also.
F6KjUCtWwAAZwRt

F6Kj4lhWIAElVES

F6Kj4mXWkAAzTyK

The slight WiWa change - simply a slight bend in the trough has been replaced with a straight section.

F6Kkh_rWoAAwxzT
F6Kkh_9WcAA9zmN

Source

I'm not really seeing where these pathways are meant to be going.

In all honesty I'd have rather seen both the rides close and an expanded indoor walk through. Neither were anything to write home about, but the Diamond Mine was special.

Removing WiWa could have also opened up a lot of room for something really interesting. Even if it was just a modern Log Flume.

Reactions: D4n
A real shame, feels a bit like Chessie post Tomb Blaster incident and in order to remove potential issues no more massive building to catch fire.

I'd imagine the pathways will take inspiration from what Phannyland have done recently around Black Mamba. And I don't think anyone knows how they fit those in.

Very disappointing news about the diamond mine, however I am glad I got my first trip to EP in just in time to experience it for myself. It was delightful, but I remember it striking me then that it seemed to be from a bygone era and didn't feel like something that would ever be built these days. I guess I was right! Such a pity though.

Goodbye diamond mine! 😢
IMG_20230510_122837.jpg
IMG_20230510_122929.jpg
IMG_20230510_122902.jpg

Such a shame to hear the Diamond Mine (as we knew it) has turned to coal.

I have fond memories of it during my trips in 2016,2018 and 2019. Where with various groups I visited the former place, giving feelings of escapism and wonder. Amongst the charming models and ride interaction.

Though I’m sure what comes of the site will be interesting and still impressive, it just won’t be the same without this hidden jewel anymore. After many decades hiding away.

Diamond Mine was so beautiful and charming, and that is why I am in some ways glad that they are not bringing it back. Re-building it with the same charm would have been nigh on impossible.

I am looking forward to see what they do come up with. I'm not sure it will be as good, but I am sure it will still be great!

I agree with the sentiment that it was (excuse the pun) a hidden gem, but at the same time I am looking forward to seeing what this new development brings. I suppose it might also allow more people to enjoy a part of the park which I suspect a lot of day visitors were quite unaware of.

This really is sad news - one of my favourite spaces at the park - one can only hope there are segments of dark rides sections throughout the two rides etc - I did see somewhere an ad board saying the gem mine was returning with artwork that looked like the small diamond mine diorama on Josefinas boat ride - that makes me think some caves and dioramas will be amongst the development.

Some info was confirmed/revealed at a fan event yesterday:

- All of Alpenexpress' track is being replaced and it will have a new modern train
- Tiroler Wildwasserbahn will keep its boats
- There will be 30 figures (mix of animatronics & static) / Yomis throughout the new area
- One old Troll figure survived the fire and will be reused
- Edelstein Grotte Shop will be rebuilt as before

Source

There were also shown some artworks not yet public (no photos allowed) which show a dramatic mountain landscape with deep gorges and rope bridges over them to walk around. If it realized like that it will be spectacular.
And they will not only rebuilt the Shop, but the former walkway from the end of the hall along those strange gnome houses. But it is not clear, how much there will change. They plan to reintroduce the typical lemony smell there, too.

It would be lovely if they could try to re-create those gorgeous stone houses in one way or another, they were beautiful. And good to know that the Diamond Mine smell will return, not that I really smelt in on any of my more recent visits!

Complete new track and train for Alpenexpress does make sense, it secures the future of the coaster for many years to come and is an opportune time to do it. My only real worry is the throughput implications, hopefully it won't be too badly effected.