• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2024] Europa-Park General Discussion

I have to say I disagree about the roaming entertainment not being back to 100%. It felt just like how it used to be, for me (if not slightly moreso). Even saw that charming woman who walks around with a herd of geese.
This woman and her geese really are a delight. It is just a great pity that the dog that they all used to roam with has seemingly met its demise, poor thing.

• Wow
Reactions: Sam
I promised some fuller thoughts from our recent trip, so here goes: -

- Magellan Lounge is being worked on daily at the moment. Along with a full deck replacement, there is now a much larger external bar installed at the lower deck level. I’m not sure how I feel about this and the more prominent entrance. One of the charms of Magellan was its partial hidden feel and it never really seemed to struggle for custom, so I’m not sure whether the changes will ruin the charm. Let’s at least hope the Bowlen cocktails return.

- Ride operations are exceptional. And I mean truly exceptional. I know this isn’t a new thing but I’m not sure I’ve seen such consistently good ops, even by EP standards.

- Repeating this from the Voltron topic, but Beautiful Croatia is so much better than the previous recent Dream Dome films. Much more akin to the original Beautiful Europe film and all the better for it.

- There looks to have been an almost complete overhaul of shows, with all major show except the Spanish Arena show being new. Said Spanish Arena show remains a departure from the traditional jousting saga as has been true of the last few iterations. I understand why they wanted to mix this up, but it’s now run its course. Some form of jousting seems to work best here and I’d like to see a return to this when the show is revamped (I expect that’s due for next year).

- The magic shoe in Italy is decent. It’s perhaps a little old fashioned, but the illusions are mainly excellent with the exception of the finale scorpion saw piece, which is farcical.

- The Globe show is actually great this year - a step change from recent poor shows. The comedy turn is hilarious even if you don’t speak German. I maintain however that the venue is diabolical. There are perhaps a maximum of 30% of seats which have a good view.

- The Spanish flamenco show is, as I’ve come to expect, lacklustre. A rethink is required because it’s never been good.

- The puppet show however is excellent and appears to have had its production budget increased. The two artists are now mainstays and they achieve a charming, captivating and humorous show every year.

- The parade has seen a couple of new floats but I prefer the previous year’s soundtrack. Did we ever get the parade redo that was promised and then disappeared from the Mack Bank?

- The new film in Grimm’s Library is a prime example of a Mack IP foisted on a perfectly fine attraction. It’s incongruous in the otherwise whimsical and charming Enchanted Forest. A significant misstep for me, although it seems popular with kids.

- I’ve mentioned the ice show above, so won’t cover that again.

- Circling back to the stupid green attempt at creating a successful wider IP, the use of the Yomis in Josefina is just stupid. They are jarring with the regal feel of the ride, a perfect example of which is their appearance in the screen sections of the tunnel. They are there not because they fit in what the story being told, but because Mack want to foist them onto people as an IP. Outside of that complaint though, the redo of Josefina’s theming is much better. The external areas are now far more realistic, although I still think the tunnel section of the ride feels cheap and a missed opportunity for a detailed scene.

- We’ve always dined outside at Schloss Balthasar, so it was a treat to dine inside the castle itself this time. It is truly beautiful and I’d recommend it to anyone who hasn’t dined inside before.

- More great news is that O’Mackays upstairs bar has now finally reopened!

- The stage in Rock Cafe has been moved to the left and shrunk down in size. There was some live music there on the weekend. The burgers seem to have improved.

- Still no fire effects in either the park or at the hotels. I appreciate that the crisis still subsists, but it does detract from the feel of places like Bell Rock’s lagoon and Colosseo’s fire bowls. If or when the issue abates I would like to think we’ll see these return.

- Live music across the resort has started to increase. DJ in Bar Colosseo, painist at Buena Vista etc. There is still not the proliferation that there was befor covid, for example Buena Vista only had a pianist on Fri/Sat, there was nothing at O’Mackays nor the roving band and nothing across other parts of the park with the exception of Don Quichote which had both the string trio and the mariachi band. What baffles me is that I didn’t see the mariachi band perform anywhere else for the entire week. Have I just been unlucky? They must perform elsewhere.

- I agree with @Sam that Voletarium needs a new film. I’ve never been a fan and a film with some recognisable landmarks and less CGI would be an improvement.

- Euromir needs that redo now more than ever. I wonder whether the political situation with Russia might delay that…

- The Helles lager at the Biergarten is the best beer available in the park. However that is not a big compliment. The beer selection (or lack thereof) is woeful. The world has moved on from getting the same two lagers everywhere, Europa need to move with the times and significantly expand their range.

- The balloon ride being in its own area is not the right decision. It’s clearly been shoehorned into its own area as some money was available from someone at the Liechtenstein tourist board. There’s no tiger compelling reason I can see for it not be a part of an England. It would have integrated much more successfully.

- The park planting is exceptional at this time of year. For so early in spring he season the displays are spectacular and the gardening team do a fabulous job.

Overall, another really excellent trip. Europa remains for me by far the best park in Europe. Hopefully the few issues they do have are addressed in due course. Next year will be the 50th, so I expect big things alongside the new coaster. Having seen Voltron in person I’m confident that it’s shaping up to be one of the park’s best rides, and hopefully one of Europe’s best.

Attachments

• 40936CB4-014A-4D75-8AB2-5EB5EACE8DF6.jpeg
    40936CB4-014A-4D75-8AB2-5EB5EACE8DF6.jpeg
    632 KB · Views: 11
  • 3DE3A9A8-2026-4E19-8BCB-8B9F6E2316CC.jpeg
    3DE3A9A8-2026-4E19-8BCB-8B9F6E2316CC.jpeg
    166.8 KB · Views: 11
  • DA1CCDE8-00D4-4DB9-8513-C2CA67FC8A25.jpeg
    DA1CCDE8-00D4-4DB9-8513-C2CA67FC8A25.jpeg
    552 KB · Views: 11
Thanks for your thoughts @venny – a lot of what you said chimed with my experience.

Magellan Lounge was open when I went (Saturday 8 April). I was in the park on Thursday and Friday too, but can't remember if it was open. The app said it was closed the entire time we were there.

Buena Vista was closed on Wednesday and Thursday night, but open on Friday and Saturday night.

It seems odd, given that they still can't get everything open, that they have poured time and resources into building a new entrance to make Magellan Lounge more prominent to guests. If they don't have the staff to open everything, you'd have thought they'd leave it mothballed and assign those staff to one of the other outlets?

I have to say I disagree about the roaming entertainment not being back to 100%. It felt just like how it used to be, for me (if not slightly moreso). Even saw that charming woman who walks around with a herd of geese.

Agreed on the Magellan entrance move. As I say above, seems a little strange. I could understand it if they struggled for custom. What did you think of the new bar set-up? It looked like it was still being worked on all the days we were there and unfortunately never opened, despite my fevered and slightly desperate checking every time I passed on the Monorail.

I guess the roaming entertainment is very dependent on where you are and when, so we may have just been unlucky or vice-versa.

I reckon there's hundreds if not thousands of guests each day who don't come from that far away at all, and who could come by train but actually come by car just to avoid the stress of that bus connection. The only major park in Europe that is really good enough in terms of public transport connections is DLP, with a TGV station at the heart of the resort. This should be the benchmark to aim at.
I see no reason why the Rulantica shuttle bus couldn't extend to Ringsheim too. It's hardly adding miles and miles onto a trip, and the regularity of that would be perfect. There's clearly financial capacity for them to be able to run a free service...

Look into the reopened Magellan Lounge
342991078_776245057139537_3730113888783093866_n.jpg
342979062_230157636359691_323710593442816517_n.jpg
342975778_618027416899423_5492572499102013538_n.jpg
342914406_1301009177283682_8162976483645234778_n.jpg

343126771_201770379271427_2883431943007253377_n.jpg
342992000_614930813838071_4311387921245457555_n.jpg
343030511_488379680080444_5055585313146384863_n.jpg

Source

Good to see the bowlen return. Seemingly a more limited selection though.

Most importantly, do they still run happy hour?

Had a core memory pop into my head at work today….

Did anyone experience the after park lounge during the summer? That was PEAK Europa Park and a great way to end the day.

I appreciate staffing levels are still coming back up but I certainly hope they look into bringing it back next season.

They could incorporate the Magellan lounge now.

After Park Lounge was great. When living nearby in 2019 was there almost weekly. :sweatsmile: Certainly something it would be great to see return; was one of those unique EP offerings that made the resort stand out.

When we went it was hosted in Iceland around Kaffi Hus, but I also seem to recall a similar event that wasn’t After Park Lounge. It was kind of a beach club thing in Portugal, with deckchairs around the ASS lake and cocktails served from a wagon. My memory is fuzzy, but I think there was a DJ, although the vibe was more laid back than the After Park Lounge.

Hopefully we see a return to these type of events. It feels like the park are now slowly returning to 100% even if they aren’t fully there yet,

The Portuguese Beach Party events were late 2000s/early 2010s. What nights they were. Riding Atlantica at 1 in the morning, cocktails, beers, music. Amazing.

I am a lot older now, so don't know if it would still be my thing to the same degree - but these kinds of events are really good and it is something we have seen diminish in recent years.

It is where Hot Portuguese ASS came from.

I stumbled into one of these in 2012. Had no idea the event was going on, but noticed Atlantica was still running after park close. Just wandered back into the park, don't think I even had to show my park ticket or hotel card. Always stuck with me as a really unique event, that only somewhere like Europa would do.

Distinctly remember riding Atlantica with my restraint wide open, when they used to dispatch it at half midnight without even looking. Different times.

Distinctly remember riding Atlantica with my restraint wide open, when they used to dispatch it at half midnight without even looking. Different times.

Can confirm, I once rode it lying down on my side during the backwards portion, wisely chickening out and/or suddenly sobering up before the main plunge. Different times indeed!

Wait, is is actually possible to dispatch Atlantica (or any ride at Europa, for that matter) with the restraints open?

I’d have thought that the ride system wouldn’t allow a dispatch unless all restraints were closed.

Wait, is is actually possible to dispatch Atlantica (or any ride at Europa, for that matter) with the restraints open?

I’d have thought that the ride system wouldn’t allow a dispatch unless all restraints were closed.
Depends on the age and type of ride. Poseidon and Atlantica yes it's possible with their age and lapbar types. Blue Fire, Wodan and Silver Star absolutely not. CanCan you can when in manual maintenance mode but no guests would be there; and if you switched back to that mode during the day it would flag up in the head office so really it's not possible too.