• ā„¹ļø Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2024] Europa-Park General Discussion

New for 2023: Experience the aftermath of a Portuguese naval battle, as you float by debris and wreckages on Atlantica Super Splash.

Only at Europa Park.

On a serious note, glad to hear everyone seems generally safe. Reports of one rider with cuts (presumably from a stray cable or debris) and a performer with a leg injury, but certainly could have been much worse.

God, I didn't realise there were actually divers on there when it all collapsed. Europa-Park are so lucky that nobody was hurt.

Edit to add, response from the park:

From: https://twitter.com/EuropaParkFR/status/1691173274086993920

On 14.08, the mobile basin of the Retorno dos Piratas diving show cracked during a performance. 5 artists and 2 visitors were injured. 3 artists were hospitalized for examinations. A police investigation is opened. Atlantica SuperSplash will reopen tomorrow.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong, the UK counterparts go far, far too far the other way with H&S... but... I have always thought it a bold move to have such a high-risk activity in the centre of a ride area. Very lucky there weren't more serious repercussions for the ride/riders.

It looks like they managed to E-stop Atlantica before the next boat came around. If that is the case, bravo to the ride team for such a speedy reaction.

It does feel like there have been a flurry of incidents at the park recently from fires, raft boats breaking free and now this. Whether itā€™s bad luck or something else, itā€™s not a great look either way.

Last edited:
I do wonder if all this is (partly) a symptom of all/most year round operations, especially EP that have so many construction and development projects on..... basically are parks stretching themselves without having that Winter off-season to re-calerbrate/ catch up with the year/space to construct, do checks and audits etc. Things have to be rushed to be 'guest ready' all the time etc.
coupled with staffing issues exacerbated by covid, one less engineer or maintenance guy on sight etc etc

My comment isn't just about EP but the whole industry, I know Disney etc have been all-year attractions for eons, but they (at least DID) have the money and resources to do so) i.e. adequate/over staffing.

Just a thought.

I guess thereā€™s no reason why Atlantica shouldnā€™t open today. I expect that Europa will believe that the issue is with the pool itself, rather than with the ride.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I am not saying that I believe the blame to lie with the company who provided the diving show. I do not want to point blame at anyone until the investigation has concluded who was at fault.

Last edited:
I suspect itā€™s not maintained by EP, if itā€™s provided by an external provider then they will be responsible for maintenance.

Instinctively we associate danger with complicated machinery like rollercoasters and rides, but this goes to show even static displays and attractions can pose a risk.

Sorry, my previous post was badly worded. I didnā€™t mean that the dive show company should be the ones to blame. We, of course, donā€™t know who is at fault and we wonā€™t know until the investigation is concluded.

All I meant is that the issue isnā€™t with Atlantica and so itā€™s not that big a surprise that it reopened straight away. This is more of an issue with the pool itself. Sorry for my poor choice of wording.