• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2024: General Discussion

The key difference between opening until 8pm at this time of year versus the summer is that you give people a clear reason to stay - rides in the dark.

It’s been discussed a lot here over the years that if you don’t add something extra with later openings such as a show then the place is pretty quiet after 7pm.

Really hope this works out for them 😊

The only other time was 2021 however they also tried doing it on Sundays that year which didn't work as the park was dead long before 8pm.

The only other time was 2021 however they also tried doing it on Sundays that year which didn't work as the park was dead long before 8pm.
Sundays is going to be a bad one for late opening in my opinion as everyone will be wanting to get home to have time to get ready for work in the morning.

Saturday is a good idea as the bulk of the country don't go to work on a Sunday so they can afford to stay out later, as it were; especially if the visit involves a long journey or possible overnight stopover somewhere.

Well the 8pm opening for the first 3 Saturdays of the season has come as a nice unexpected surprise! When was the last time that Alton Towers opened until 8pm on a March Saturday!?

Something tells me they have a nice Nemesis lighting package they want to show off. Hopefully the park does stay reasonably busy until 8pm on these days, would really show them that there is demand for later openings.

I was about to say 2021... but then realised they didn't open until April due to the 'rona!

Even in the glory days of the early 90’s it generally only opened to 8pm in the summer. Though the rest of the season had generally longer opening (a dry Saturday would never have closed before 6pm, probably closer to 7pm).

This is fantastic news.

WIth the distance we have to travel we struggle to get to the park for opening so find with a 6pm close we are rushing to get everyrhing done.

With more time we would also most likely eat in rather than take food with us.

I agree a show on the main stage or in tower street 15-30mins would end the day nicely and give another reason to stay till close.

If it was popular though they would have to improve the running of the monorail to clear the crowds quickly rather than wait an hour with only 2 trains on.

If it was popular though they would have to improve the running of the monorail to clear the crowds quickly rather than wait an hour with only 2 trains on
With the 8pm close it should make the monorail queue much better, some people will leave around 5pm (especially with very young children), some leave at 6pm, some at 7 and some stay all the way to 8.30, that will spread out the crowds exiting over three hours rather than everyone trying to get on the monorail from 5.30 to 6.30.

Late to the party but later openings are a great thing to hear I would love for them to continue it on some long summer days

I feel like later openings are something that we enthusiasts are always keen for, but the vast majority of day ticket paying general public are not fussed about, and want to get home for their tea.
Maybe it will encourage quieter mornings, and more people will turn up later in the day to stay later.
Either way, it's going to be a use it or lose it situation.
I'm pretty sure back in 2003 or so when I first started going, the rides were open until 10pm during October half-term, which is now only until 9pm/8pm depending on the day, and I see the park is pretty quiet around those times because of fireworks, so I hope the rides don't end up closing earlier as a result.

I feel like later openings are something that we enthusiasts are always keen for, but the vast majority of day ticket paying general public are not fussed about, and want to get home for their tea.
Maybe it will encourage quieter mornings, and more people will turn up later in the day to stay later.
I'm pretty sure back in 2003 or so when I first started going, the rides were open until 10pm during October half-term, which is now only until 9pm/8pm depending on the day, and I see the park is pretty quiet around those times because of fireworks, so I hope the rides don't end up closing earlier as a result.

As far as I remember Towers has never closed later than 9pm (except for one specific corporate buy out event when they were open until 9.30pm).

Give folks a reason to stay, such as Halloween and Fireworks and they do. These events have grown to be the busiest of the year, with Scarefest being very profitable for the park, and Fireworks looking like they are adding a fourth date for the first time in nearly 20 years.

The fact these Alton after Dark events have the ‘hook’ of dark rides means they have a better chance of working for the park than just opening until 8pm in the summer. That said it takes years for any event to build so a long term approach is needed.

Last edited:
Summer is a tricky one due to it getting darker later. Ideally you would need an event or shows that go into the evening to give guests a reason to stay in the park. I personally would love to see something like a stunt show on the lake over the summer period.

I like the idea of testing the waters with staying open late this time of the year. If successful, maybe ‘Alton in the Dark’ can become a more regular occurrence.

Outside of events general entertainment is really lacking. I hope this is something the new management can address over the coming years. As a start, use the stage on the lawns outside of events and explore getting the theatre in Walliams World open with an indoor stage show.

It means a significant sea change to make longer opening hours work. A complete shift in mentality.

People staying all day want better places to eat, something to see at the end of the day, they want to know they don’t need to haul a pushchair over a badly lit terrible path at the end of the day, that there are a few good options available for breakfast, that if you’re staying there’s something to do in the evening.

They want better information on what’s on and open when.

Arguably after Nemesis and PH, AT could do with a “Project Resort” focussing on all the things they need to push them up a level in terms of resort offering, filler attractions and shows for 4/5 years.

I think that is why they are pushing them as after dark it gives a reason to stay later to ride in the dark. Sunset will be about 6.30 before the clocks go back so perfect for a few hours of night rides.

It means a significant sea change to make longer opening hours work. A complete shift in mentality.

People staying all day want better places to eat, something to see at the end of the day, they want to know they don’t need to haul a pushchair over a badly lit terrible path at the end of the day, that there are a few good options available for breakfast, that if you’re staying there’s something to do in the evening.

They want better information on what’s on and open when.

Arguably after Nemesis and PH, AT could do with a “Project Resort” focussing on all the things they need to push them up a level in terms of resort offering, filler attractions and shows for 4/5 years.
I understand the point you’re making but I think your expectations are very high. You’re expecting them to tick pretty much every box, which only a handful of parks in the world probably do

As far as I remember Towers has never closed later than 9pm (except for one specific corporate buy out event when they were open until 9.30pm).

Give folks a reason to stay, such as Halloween and Fireworks and they do. These events have grown to be the busiest of the year, with Scarefest being very profitable for the park, and Fireworks looking like they are adding a fourth date for the first time in nearly 20 years.

The fact these Alton after Dark events have the ‘hook’ of dark rides means they have a better chance of working for the park than just opening until 8pm in the summer. That said it takes years for any event to build so a long term approach is needed.

Not sure there is a restriction as such set but i believe the park and council have an agreement that ride close is never later than 9pm.

Saturday is usually the last day of the week I'd consider visiting for various reasons. But if some dark riding in the Spring is on offer, I'd consider booking one off work and getting up there. It's a great idea to make a kind of event out of this sort of thing, and doing so on their busiest day of the week is a good way to test the water.

That said, this does leave the inconsistencies in hours larger then I've ever known them to be as some of these late closures will sit alongside some 4pm closes. It's like feast to famine.

It could also shine a light on the fact that the park simply isn't set up for the long all day experiences that other parks in Europe are. Food options are worse than they've ever been and aren't even substantial enough to suit the needs of short days where people only eat on park once, let alone seeking to potentially eat 3 meals there. There's still little on the way of permanent park lighting, and Battle Galleons, the Sky Ride and the Rapids will all shut at dusk.

Long days where you can relax, enjoy the gardens, the towers, some food and maybe a few beers as opposed to just rushing round whoring as many coasters as possible to try and get your money's worth is just what the doctor ordered. I just hope they don't just look at the daily takings in Burger Kitchen and view large amounts of people vacating the park at 6pm due to years of conditioning as some sort of vindication that longer days don't work without considering the factors that I mentioned above.