• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2024: General Discussion

It appears as though there have been some changes to Thirteen’s queue line so that main queue, Fastrack and ambulant RAP all merge at the baggage hold and go up the right hand side of the stairs:

Non-ambulant RAP still goes up the exit, with the original exit having been reinstated.

Would it be totally wishful thinking to hope that they might be preparing to reinstate a single rider queue on Thirteen that uses the left-hand side of the stairs?

Oh that’s interesting. I presume that means ambulant RAP can now sit anywhere on the ride?

And conversely means main queue can now sit in the back row when available?

Anyone fancy some Charlie & the Chocolate Factory ride errr *checks notes* amputated arms?

I mean… 15 pounds is a steal for genuine ride scenery… it’s just a matter if I’m a hoarder or if I’m psychopathic enough to buy just the arms of Oompa Loompas…

How did this fella get their hands on it anyway? Did the lad just waltz on into the show building with a hacksaw and went “yup, I’ll be taking this one, and that one…. And that one. What a nice arm”

I mean… 15 pounds is a steal for genuine ride scenery… it’s just a matter if I’m a hoarder or if I’m psychopathic enough to buy just the arms of Oompa Loompas…

How did this fella get their hands on it anyway? Did the lad just waltz on into the show building with a hacksaw and went “yup, I’ll be taking this one, and that one…. And that one. What a nice arm”

They sold off the Charlie props for charity years back.

Why you would chose to dismember them and sell the parts separately is another matter altogether.

Anyone fancy some Charlie & the Chocolate Factory ride errr *checks notes* amputated arms?

Given what I see of Towers fans on social media these days, someone will buy them and make a cosplay outfit out of them within days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Just seen on the Alton Village discussion group on Facebook. Over the last few years people have been putting those stupid love-locks on what's left of the actual chained oak tree. However, over the past 24 hours someone has gone and cut them all off. Great work, what a legend 👍 :)

The video is on Vemo if that works any better:

The business that has supplied these kits also has a bit more info on its website: Link here. TL;DR: 17 new anaphylaxis emergency kits have been added across the resort. Partnership with Kitt Medical (supplying these kits) includes a subscription supply of adrenaline pens alongside CPD-accredited online training.

It's great to see this kind of thing added to the resort. In uncertain environments, anyone could have an allergic reaction, so it's good Alton Towers can now act more promptly if/when such emergencies arise. It's likely they had something in place before, but these kits act in a similar way to defibs, where you can grab and go with clear and simple instructions on how to operate.

I have been defending the park all season and have been very optimistic but I’m struggling to defend this one. Scarefest always draws in the big numbers there should be no reason to cut any corners here, they don’t as of yet have enough filler rides to soak up the crowds so the least they can do is open to 9pm.

There seems to be a sudden shift in cost cutting everywhere this season. Maybe with The Hex repairs costing more money, huge maintenance of the sky ride, wicker man remedial works, New flat currently being installed, Forbidden valley delayed construction including Rcade, Nemises queline, pipe work Etc. As well as the new scare mazes infrastructure and that’s just what we can see and not behind the scenes, but with lower guest numbers i honestly feel that money is drying out fast and hasbeen capped. Hence why the broken trommel on curse has been ignored again and CBeebies event is left to continue.

The start of the season started so well with late park openings, enhanced events of better quality which I might add still are, rollercoaster climbs, opening the towers for tours, forbidden valley I would argue a success however still incomplete. Also the additional of more roaming street actors which is fantastic, fantastic merchandise, accessibility on ride improvements, staff and guest canopies and shelters, new recycling bins and very well themed Coca-Cola freestyle units, sensory room in CBeebies along side smiler painting, X sector food trucks, there has been a considerate amount of improvements this season that we can’t forget.

I just have a feeling there was meant to be more Scarefest changes for this year, but I just feel Merlin has pushed the stop button to Bianca for the time being perhaps? The staggering opening hours of delayed ride areas availability does worry me slightly, as I feel it’s going backwards to post smiler incident. Which people will notice and complain about when arrive early, just to be slapped in the face with hefty parking charges, high food prices and leave AT with only riding a handful of rides with lengthy Que times. I worry if they continue this strategy they will drive people away and numbers will drop further.

Next year will be really interesting one to see if there investment and Maintence spending all stays within budget (as there was quite a fair bit for the new management to do this year) it will be interesting to see if operations and park hours improve.

This is all speculation of course only Merlin know what the bugger is going on but there defiantly seems a sudden shift all of a sudden.

Last edited:
Or is it more a sign that they have so little faith in Aramark not poisoning a guest with allergies they are being prepared…
The video is on Vemo if that works any better:

The business that has supplied these kits also has a bit more info on its website: Link here. TL;DR: 17 new anaphylaxis emergency kits have been added across the resort. Partnership with Kitt Medical (supplying these kits) includes a subscription supply of adrenaline pens alongside CPD-accredited online training.

It's great to see this kind of thing added to the resort. In uncertain environments, anyone could have an allergic reaction, so it's good Alton Towers can now act more promptly if/when such emergencies arise. It's likely they had something in place before, but these kits act in a similar way to defibs, where you can grab and go with clear and simple instructions on how to operate.

I have been defending the park all season and have been very optimistic but I’m struggling to defend this one. Scarefest always draws in the big numbers there should be no reason to cut any corners here, they don’t as of yet have enough filler rides to soak up the crowds so the least they can do is open to 9pm.

There seems to be a sudden shift in cost cutting everywhere this season. Maybe with The Hex repairs costing more money, huge maintenance of the sky ride, wicker man remedial works, New flat currently being installed, Forbidden valley delayed construction including Rcade, Nemises queline, pipe work Etc. As well as the new scare mazes infrastructure and that’s just what we can see and not behind the scenes, but with lower guest numbers i honestly feel that money is drying out fast and hasbeen capped. Hence why the broken trommel on curse has been ignored again and CBeebies event is left to continue.

The start of the season started so well with late park openings, enhanced events of better quality which I might add still are, rollercoaster climbs, opening the towers for tours, forbidden valley I would argue a success however still incomplete. Also the additional of more roaming street actors which is fantastic, fantastic merchandise, accessibility on ride improvements, staff and guest canopies and shelters, new recycling bins and very well themed Coca-Cola freestyle units, sensory room in CBeebies along side smiler painting, X sector food trucks, there has been a considerate amount of improvements this season that we can’t forget.

I just have a feeling there was meant to be more Scarefest changes for this year, but I just feel Merlin has pushed the stop button to Bianca for the time being perhaps? The staggering opening hours of delayed ride areas availability does worry me slightly, as I feel it’s going backwards to post smiler incident. Which people will notice and complain about when arrive early, just to be slapped in the face with hefty parking charges, high food prices and leave AT with only riding a handful of rides with lengthy Que times. I worry if they continue this strategy they will drive people away and numbers will drop further.

Next year will be really interesting one to see if there investment and Maintence spending all stays within budget (as there was quite a fair bit for the new management to do this year) it will be interesting to see if operations and park hours improve.

This is all speculation of course only Merlin know what the bugger is going on but there defiantly seems a sudden shift all of a sudden.

I've posted this in the Scarefest thread, but overall there are more days of Scarefest in 2024 than in 2023 and more later closing times than 2023. Its just the quieter weekdays close at 8pm. In 2023 those weekdays were closing at 4pm (with no scarefest).

Hard to say if its better overall to have more scarefest days, but some are 8pm. Or is it better to have more 4pm closures (with no scarefest on those days) but all scarefest days are 9pm.

That’s not correct for all weekdays.

I went to scarefest on 14/10 last year and it was 9pm close.
2024 has three additional days of scarefest compared to 2023. But 8 days overall are 8pm closures. So there are more scarefest days, but some of the days are currently 8pm closures.
Looking on the Wayback machine at last years hours. https://web.archive.org/web/2023082...an-your-visit/before-you-visit/opening-times/
Scarefest 2023 was 7th, 8th and 13th to 31st October = 21 days of 10am to 9pm
Scarefest 2024 is currently planned as 11th October to 3rd October continuously = 16 days of 10am to 9pm and 8 days of 10am to 8pm.

So three extra (week)days overall, but with all the quieter weekdays an hour shorter.

Depends if you look it as there are more 8pm closes overall in 2024 whereas 2023 had non-scarefest weekdays with a 4pm close, or that four dates are now an hour shorter. Overall its still more days with later closing than last year.

I think it’s a clear sign budgets have been stretched that’s certain cuts are now visible, and effects (the bloody trommel again) being left broken.

Real shame - such a positive start to the season risks petering out. I don’t think this is anything to do with AT management, more group management enforcing strict financial controls.

As for scarefest - yeh, like @jon81uk - if you look, there are actually more scarefest hours …. So it seems the budget has been altered to reduce opening times but extend to more days. Not a bad thing in my opinion, especially as most people bugger off by 5 anyway and most rides become walk on.