• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2024: General Discussion

I can't think of any day worse to visit than opening day most years. If it's a sellout, then it sounds especially intolerable this year. Although I'm glad Nemesis returning and late night opening seem popular enough to generate these kinds of crowds.

Not everywhere, even if just covering the areas those generators would be used. Its what 20-30 areas? No reason it couldn’t be done over a closed season

And in terms of generators, the park should (it may already have) its own back up generator for the entire site and/or redundant supplies into the park.

I imagine that’s already in place

The park do suffer power cuts though, at least a few each season, sometimes isolated to areas, other times park wide. Surely that rules out both generators and redundancy built into the park and cements the idea that a park wide power cut at night could still be dangerous and problematic.

Not everywhere, even if just covering the areas those generators would be used. Its what 20-30 areas? No reason it couldn’t be done over a closed season

And in terms of generators, the park should (it may already have) its own back up generator for the entire site and/or redundant supplies into the park.

I am not sure they do have to have back up generators, I am no ride tech but from an engineering point of view all the rides should have fail safes in the event of a big power failue, for instance on galacticas lift hill there is a small generator on the evac platform and even if they did have one it normally takes time to switch on meaning an evac would probably still be required, the only rides I could imagine a problem is river rapids, RMT and the sky ride the rest would probably end up in a place easily able to be rescued without power (maybe not 13 as idk on what happens during a power failure on that), apart from those rides there would be no reason to have generators as they would have to be masive to accually run the rides in a non emergency mode.

for lighting I would agree they would proably need some sort of back up system.

So it does indeed look like opening day has sold out with it not being able to book that date on the website. Just shows how much people love Nemesis, has an opening day for a ride ever sold out?

Smiler is better and more popular though only joking admin team, not trying to open that can of worms for the millionth time

So it does indeed look like opening day has sold out with it not being able to book that date on the website. Just shows how much people love Nemesis, has an opening day for a ride ever sold out?

Smiler is better and more popular though only joking admin team, not trying to open that can of worms for the millionth time
I think for a ride as loved as Nemesis it was always going to be a sell out. Back when Wicker man opened that reached about 200 mins so I’m expecting the same for Nemmy

I think for a ride as loved as Nemesis it was always going to be a sell out. Back when Wicker man opened that reached about 200 mins so I’m expecting the same for Nemmy
It didn't. I was there on the day it opened (accidentally believe it or not) and we waited less than an hour. It was a deserted weekday with snow on the ground. I presume you're referring to one of the Saturday's in opening year? Which would be expected on the busiest day of the week in the first year of a new coaster. I'm sure the queues for Nemesis will be horrific though. But I'm also sure I'll be better able to walk onto it within a few weeks. Maybe even days later midweek.

Last edited:
The park do suffer power cuts though, at least a few each season, sometimes isolated to areas, other times park wide. Surely that rules out both generators and redundancy built into the park and cements the idea that a park wide power cut at night could still be dangerous and problematic.

Not necessarily, backups for rides vs general power/redundancy are wholly different power requirements.

I don’t believe they do have any back-up generators for the park as a whole.

They have a diesel generator for Skyride and Galactica, they might have some UPS for some buildings lighting but I don’t think they have anything they would keep the external lights running in the event of a power cut.

It didn't. I was there on the day it opened (accidentally believe it or not) and we waited less than an hour. It was a deserted weekday with snow on the ground. I presume you're referring to one of the Saturday's in opening year?
Yes it was one of the Saturdays so for Nemesis reopening on a Saturday I’m expecting it to reach 3 hours or more at some point

10 days before the season starts and the park still haven’t updated their app. What are they playing at

They are playing at running an app that is used on the day you visit and not before. There's literally no reason for you to be on the app before you actually arrive at the park.
Thorpe updated their app and new map a week ago and they open after Towers

That’s fine, they have decided to get that job done earlier than Towers, still completely irrelevant to the purpose of the app.
I agree with what you’re saying but at the same time why don’t they just get it done now and out the way

I agree with what you’re saying but at the same time why don’t they just get it done now and out the way

Because when you work in a big organisation you plan your tasks and different people will prioritise different tasks based on other pressures on their time.

So long as you meet your deadline how you prioritise is up to you.

I just looked at the app, the map is still last year's map and there's nothing new on there yet.

Also the map on the website is still the same they should update it looks silly

Last edited by a moderator: