• ā„¹ļø Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2024: General Discussion

Hex is no excuse to be closed.. it's been down for a year. That should have been the last ride to be opening late.

You must work for Vekoma if you are so sure of thisā€¦.

It really frustrates me when people make these sort of assumptions. Itā€™s nothing to do with liking the park (I moan about it more than most), but I canā€™t tell you how often I have seen projects in my line of work delay by months because of unexpected issues discovered during other work.

You canā€™t always predict what you are going to find when you start looking closely at something. Same with Skyride.

Perhaps there should be a close look soon after closure?
Or is that simpleton luddite talk?
Proper preparation prevents piss poor performance.
Doesn't it?

Doesnā€™t work like that, some stuff only becomes apparent when you dig deeper and deeper. Not everything is visually inspectable before work starts.

Or you only know the extent of the issue once you have tried every other option and each has failed.

No-one outside of diehard enthusthaists are going to pause that video to see what is/isn't on the map. It really doesn't matter.
It'll be on the main, proper map that is used and thats what matters.

Perhaps there should be a close look soon after closure?
Or is that simpleton luddite talk?
Proper preparation prevents piss poor performance.
Doesn't it?

Totally agree. Surely decent routine maintenance would highlight most issue. Admittedly things do justā€¦.. break

Only just caught up with the Ā£10 parking charge news. One word - disgusting.

Merlin really are going out of their way to give its customers a poor day out. Overpriced hotels, awful overpriced food, a theme park just about functioning and now overpriced parking.

Just stunned by this money grabbing. Absolutely disgusting. And where some people try and compare this to European parks - these parks no doubt have better facilities, rides and food.

They would also have better transport links. Towers is hard to get to by public transport. It has poor links and the majority of its guests visit by car. The car park charge was only introduced to fund the relief road which never happened.

Shame on you Merlin. Shame on you.

Honestly I think fastrack pricing is the worst thing. Ā£130 for platinum are you kidding me thatā€™s crazy money. You can get a season pass and go all year for that price. If youā€™re paying that much and still end up queueing for 30-40 mins then Iā€™d be asking for my money back

Honestly I think fastrack pricing is the worst thing. Ā£130 for platinum are you kidding me thatā€™s crazy money. You can get a season pass and go all year for that price. If youā€™re paying that much and still end up queueing for 30-40 mins then Iā€™d be asking for my money back

But the idea is to reduce fast track so normal queues arenā€™t so bad - whacking the price up is fair enough. Itā€™s your choice. For the majority, there is no choice but to drive and park your car there.

But the idea is to reduce fast track so normal queues arenā€™t so bad - whacking the price up is fair enough. Itā€™s your choice. For the majority, there is no choice but to drive and park your car there.
The way I see it is Disney charge way more for parking, but towers probably charge more for fastrack and their prices should never be in the Disney range

Totally agree. Surely decent routine maintenance would highlight most issue. Admittedly things do justā€¦.. break
not really, depends on the maintenance required, some issues can be caught but a lot may not be, for instance if the maintance is check the rope, check all the towers and guide wheels and check the lubrication on the rope and main pulley, check tires and probably a few more things I am missing but for instance it may not cover the insides of the gear boxes, something which may only be avaliable to check after heavy dissasembly of the ride, also issues can be 2 problems in 1 where only after the first problem is solved the next rears it head.

The way I see it is Disney charge way more for parking, but towers probably charge more for fastrack and their prices should never be in the Disney range

Yeah but you canā€™t compare Towers to Disney. Itā€™s like comparing a Porsche and a Honda Jazz. Disney is a premium park - itā€™s debatable if Alton still is.

fast track being expensive is a really good thing, trust me disney putting it so low is so they get more money and only that as it turns the fast track essentially into another expense as due to the fast track there may only be a 10 min line but fast track people will have a priority and they will have a ratio arround 10-1 (so every 10 fast track 1 person goes in) that means the 10 min queue is now 100 mins unless you pay for the fast track.

so if you want to ride all the rides at disney the fast track being so cheap means you would have to pay fast track on a busy day.

Last edited:

Merlin really are going out of their way to give its customers a poor day out. Overpriced hotels, awful overpriced food, a theme park just about functioning and now overpriced parking.

Just stunned by this money grabbing. Absolutely disgusting. And where some people try and compare this to European parks - these parks no doubt have better facilities, rides and food.

They would also have better transport links. Towers is hard to get to by public transport. It has poor links and the majority of its guests visit by car. The car park charge was only introduced to fund the relief road which never happened.

Shame on you Merlin. Shame on you.

Itā€™s Ā£3 difference. Bit of an extreme reaction, donā€™t you think?

If you feel so strongly donā€™t go; if theyā€™ve got the pricing wrong people wonā€™t go, theyā€™ll make less money and then adjust the pricing accordingly.

I donā€™t think itā€™s extreme. The price rise is extreme. 43% extra compared to last year and for what? Guests are already paying enough for entry to the park and food. If the park justified the price fair enough but it doesnā€™t.

As for not going - I was thinking of going up a few times this year but I think it will be just the once now.

Iā€™m sick of companies rising prices just because other things are going up. There is no justification for this rise in parking charges. None.

Tenner basic parking...
If there was a decent alternative public transport system, it would be justified.
If the road infrastructure within the park was greatly improved, it would be justified.
Again, if peak flow into and out of the park was improved.
Likewise if the monorail was brought into the twenty first century with a few clear windows and airgates...and a couple more trains running, like it did for years, then higher charges would be ok.
But none will happen any time soon.
I have never increased my charges by more than a quid an hour, a year, for years.
Lots of smaller increases are more acceptable than a sudden 40% jump in one year.
More clumsy management.
Another could do better.