• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2024] Nemesis Reborn: Construction and Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Surprisingly I can't seem to find any of the announcements except this one which is the extended breakdown announcement. This is the voice I remember and wasn't aware it had been re-recorded

I love this voice-over, I guess because of nostalgic reasons as his announcements were used for many years, but yes, Alton re-recorded the operational announcements a few years back (I think it was the previous Ents manager).

The script is exactly the same, the newer ones are a bit more 'on theme' in terms of tone, whereas the originals could have been for any ride I guess, although I still prefer the originals.

Be great if they released that sort of stuff as, to my knowledge, Nemesis and Oblivion (and of course older rides) are the only announcements that have never been released?

I doubt any of the announcements have been properly released as such, it is just now they're easier to...borrow being in a digital format.

I've noticed that in the recent videos of Nemesis' new(?) audio roaring sound effect, it seems to sound like an angry elephant sound slowed down. Do wish they gave it a lower tone like the original 1954 Godzilla roar, probably the best roar of Godzilla and one that is actually terrifying compared to recent ones so just imagine hearing this in the pit when you are queuing...

That would get any punter's attention at what they are seeing there is a giant alien sitting there screaming to get out from the pit.

Fun wee fact, the original Godzilla roar is actually done by using a rubber glove and rubbing down a bass string tuned way down.

Reactions: Tom
I wasn't there to hear first hand but I think some subtle noises coming from the beast itself would be a nice addition. Nothing over the top, just some weird noises / rumbling every so often. I love the roar the Hulk does at IOA when it exits the launch.

Another vote for moving parts too, the eyes are asking to be animotronic imo.

Another vote for moving parts too, the eyes are asking to be animotronic imo.
I have mentioned this before though knowing Merlin's track record of maintenance, I'm unsure if they'd be able to keep it working. Maybe if it can operated from the control booth in the station, I could imagine the crew playing silly games such as making the eyes spin round or make Nemesis crossed eyed.

Another idea if possible is use a simple moving eye technique like what they had with the moving eye portraits in the HH in which could work as the eyes would always be focused on you which could actually make the experience more personal as if Nemesis is focusing on only you which would a subtle yet more unnerving experience while queuing or just watching the ride from afar.

I have mentioned this before though knowing Merlin's track record of maintenance, I'm unsure if they'd be able to keep it working. Maybe if it can operated from the control booth in the station, I could imagine the crew playing silly games such as making the eyes spin round or make Nemesis crossed eyed.

Another idea if possible is use a simple moving eye technique like what they had with the moving eye portraits in the HH in which could work as the eyes would always be focused on you which could actually make the experience more personal as if Nemesis is focusing on only you which would a subtle yet more unnerving experience while queuing or just watching the ride from afar.
Moving or not, just having one with no paint peeling off would be a massive improvement

Just looping back to these colour codes that have potentially been hinted at.

E0B238C7-19DF-42CC-911C-D54455E424C5.png

The original 94 colour scheme included much more detailed painting on the supports than the all black repaint from 2016. If this does refer to paint colours, it could be for the supports.

AAA8DC83-3EC8-4794-8DA3-29380C78DCC0.jpeg
Pretty pointless question- but why on earth does everyone have the same umbrellas??

Finally caught up on this monstrous thread and have a few thoughts.

Firstly, the atmosphere on Sunday was incredible, and I'm so glad I was there to experience it. The sheer vastness of actors, props, attention to detail, storyline, I think, was just fantastic. The combination of the huge number of actors, the post-fireworks announcement and the news report at the time of the investigation, added up to an amazing level of themeing and hype build up the likes of which I would say hasn't been seen at AT since the 90s (do correct me if not since I wasn't there lol). I don't see how anyone couldn't be impressed and happy with it, especially seeing it alongside the other new additions (Duel revamp, project Horizon) which to me indicates a vastly improved future of the park.

In terms of the involvement of the Phalanx, I do truly believe their presence is only for the time being to again allow for hype, and also continue the story for those who are interested. Which brings me to my next point. Nemesis is not being taken over by an over the top, spoonfed, nor vastly different storyline. So many of us, myself included, get so wrapped up in our enthusiast mindsets and enthusiast echo chambers that we forget how much these things matter, or are actually apparent to, the public. Had we not been there on Sunday, or following several theme park pages and accounts, or reading up on online forums, or avidly watching theme park youtube channels, would we know ANYTHING about the events of Sunday? Perhaps we might have heard murmurings, or seen some clips on social media, but hardly the extent of what went on. Heck, most of my GP friends still don't believe me when i say Nemesis is in fact not closed forever! This backstory and lore is out there for those who are interested, it is not overbearing, or even particularly apparent. I really believe the Phalanx actors almost definitely will not be loitering around post-Nemesis reopening.

Something I really do not understand is how Nemesis in its original form can be described as not explicitly sci-fi. It is a pinned down alien! The storyline has been expanded on and elaborated on since, but at its core, that is what Nemesis has always been about. There has always been an element of horror to it too, which I would say aside from the removal of the rivers of blood, is still present. Horror and sci-fi are not mutually exclusive (see: Alien, The Thing, Nope).

Overall: loved Sunday, very excited, don't think the Phalanx thing is a big issue, don't ultimately think Nemesis will be changed in such a way that will take anything away from its original form.

Whether or not people personally believe Phalanx will be a major part is here or there, we have no idea what the plans are. But if it did, like the advertising seems to suggest, would it be something people want?

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty pointless question- but why on earth does everyone have the same umbrellas??

I think this photo was from a press event. There appears to be various Gladiators from the TV show on the front row, I suspect that the park handed out those umbrellas to the guests as they would have been invited to the event, zooming in they also appear to have all been given some Nemesis branded caps too.

I think this photo was from a press event. There appears to be various Gladiators from the TV show on the front row, I suspect that the park handed out those umbrellas to the guests as they would have been invited to the event, zooming in they also appear to have all been given some Nemesis branded caps too.
Makes sense! I was starting to think umbrella makers of the 90s were severely unimaginative. On another note- I wanna get one of those Nemesis caps!

So time to write a few thoughts on the “origional” Nemesis closing…

I have been going to Towers since I was a baby, as although I’m a Yorkshire boy my mums family have a big contingent in Leek so it was a regular haunt. Nemesis opened when I was 9 and all my school friends dared me to ride it when they found out I was going as the ride was making such a buzz in the general population. So that year I did corkscrew for the first time and then Nemesis with my dad.

Anyway without getting too sentimental Nemesis has always been one of my favourite coasters, I think it’s genuinely one of the better coasters in the world track and train (not the best but top 30), and it has a lot of sentimental value. Needless to say my final ride was both thrilling (as she was flying) and sad.

Have to say Towers did a great job of sending the original off and it was nice to see Wardley on park for the send off. Been lucky enough to chat to him a few times and he’s a normal nice guy and i genuinely think it was nice to see him acknowledged in the way they did.

Anyway here’s is to Nemesis 2.0, god bless all who sail in her…

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.