• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2024] Nemesis Reborn: Construction and Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
The trains will have almost certainly undergone a lot of force in there lifetime and will likely need replacing at some point, it would seem the best time to do it at the same time as the re-track for me. I imagine the new style trains wouldn't ride drastically different but as @Poisson says they may well just got with the original style as to not overcomplicate things. Merlin will want B&M to be doing this as cheap as possible without changing the experience.

I think they’re only replacing parts that have undergone significant stress during the ride’s life, aren’t they? Hence why the lift hill and brake run aren’t going.

As for the trains, maybe they could replace them with the newer style to lower strain on the track? I’d imagine that less weight will lead to less strain placed on the track.
The brake run is under very considerable stress!
All that mass and momentum, coming to a quick halt in a short time and track length.

I think it really depends on if there is a need to swap out the trains for the new track (I don't understand why there would be) but more importantly, how old the components in those trains are ... none of the consumables will be original at this point.

If the station, lift hill etc are all good for another 30 years, the ride obviously (quite logically) hasn't aged at the same rate throughout.

The consumables no. The chassis yes. Fully original. This is also 80% of a train. It will be the condition of this that determines new trains or not. Due to it being 30 years it old, it is going to have metal fatigue and it is going to need more work as the years go on. So for this specific reason, I think we will see new trains.

Metal fatigue is the main aging element in track and metal like this. It will not age evenly because low stress areas such as the lift and station are exactly that, low stress areas, areas where fatigue will not develop. The chassis of the train, which as I said, are the original, will have fatigue developing like the high stress parts of the track. As years go on, this will get worse. You cannot fix fatigue then the metal performs like new. It still gets worse year on year. Hence the need for a re track. It is not until the crystals are re forged (in brand new steel) that fatigue resets so to speak.

The consumables only make up a small part of the train. That is very important to remember.

As for the stress in the break run, most of it would be transferred straight to the supports which are over engineered for this reason. It is a lateral and not a vertical force at the break run, this is why you see lateral bracing in this area. The trains would see a bit of stress, not much on the track itself. The load transfers straight to the supports via the track spine.

EDIT, thinking about this in detail today at work. Rob666 is correct. However, the forces placed upon the superstructure for stopping a train are mostly compressive, (compressive on the track and spine, more so tensile on the supports). Compressive forces are very very difficult for fatigue and fatigue based fractures to form (within certain parameters). Especially if the superstructure dissipates the force very well (which it appears to do). The tensile forces placed upon most of the free running track is a playground for fatigue to form, especially due to them being quite large, as the ride is quite forceful. But bottom line there is, Rob666 is correct in what he says. Just the way the ride is setup means it deals with the forces in a totally different way.

The beauty of structural engineering eh. I'll stop with the mini science lessons now. Roll on the reopening!!!

Last edited:
How nice of them to roll out a red carpet on The Smiler for his next visit ;)
On a serious note though, clearly they did a great job as it managed to make someone's day. With the park not being at its best in 2022 in my opinion (presentation wise and ride availability wise), it's great to see that the staff members will go to extra mile to make someone's day special, and creating that little bit of extra magic that can be hard to find on present day visits.

The monorail isn’t open this morning due to “work on Nemmy”… take from that what you will.

Preliminary work for the retrack, perhaps? I’m sure Nemesis V1 isn’t done yet, but maybe they’re doing some preparatory work?

I’ll see what I can see when I walk through FV.

Apparently The Smiler is closed today as well @Matt N? I know you're not a big fan but hopefully you don't have two major coasters down. Wonder what's happening with Nemesis. I know someone there today so I'll get them to see what the situation is with both as well.

Looks like smiler is gonna be closed today Nemesis looks like it could possibly open, just judging by what the app says

I walked through FV and got some shots of Nemesis as I went by:
8883036F-1D18-443F-AC92-54FC00A7DD05.jpeg
So as of about 9:30 this morning, a huge crane was hovering above the loop area and a train was stuck on the lift hill.

Attachments

• 4651D5B0-902D-4E19-B174-C8A2E0D44811.jpeg
    4651D5B0-902D-4E19-B174-C8A2E0D44811.jpeg
    221.9 KB · Views: 40
Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.