• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2024] Nemesis Reborn: Construction and Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I mean I said this was going to happen months ago but the “she looks slow” comments are hilarious.

The track layout hasn’t changed, laws of physics haven’t changed. What had changed?

1) New wheel bearings and compounds, these take time to loosen and warm up, there where times at the start of the season when Nemesis v1 would run slow as they had clearly replaced all the running wheels and it was warming up.

2) It was bloomin cold last week. Cold weather equals cold oil, cold oil equals slower running.

If B&M was concerned about the running speed of the ride they could have slowed down Nemesis v1 with slower wheel compounds but they didn’t, so I can’t imagine they have for Nemesis v2.

I'd actually love to take the loop at that speed for the hang time 😍

Twitter is rife with negative comments about Nemmy being way slower than before... as if the ride isn't in its testing phase during super cold temperatures 🙄😂 gotta trust the process!

The lady in the video mentioned there was 2 trains testing: I wonder if one train is more "bedded-in" as it were?
Perhaps. Or maybe testing different things with the wheel assemblies/wheel compounds (sometimes rollercoasters run with a mix of different wheel compounds to get the right performance).

It does like like one of the trains is running without the wheel covers on rows 7 and 8 but the other train has all the wheel covers.

Haven't really thought about the mechanics of it before, but what is it that 'runs in' on a new coaster? Is it just the wheels, or is the track expected to smooth out a bit?

Haven't really thought about the mechanics of it before, but what is it that 'runs in' on a new coaster? Is it just the wheels, or is the track expected to smooth out a bit?
Wheels,wheel bearings, the paint (most likely powder coat) on the running rails wears away which will inevitably make the train run faster. .

There will be alot of factors. . .

At the moment being cold and fresh rails . . It will probably run completely different now to what it will in summer (by then the rails should be bedded in and it'll be hotter). .they may have to change wheel compound then to avoid overspeeding

Wheels,wheel bearings, the paint (most likely powder coat) on the running rails wears away which will inevitably make the train run faster. .

There will be alot of factors. . .

At the moment being cold and fresh rails . . It will probably run completely different now to what it will in summer (by then the rails should be bedded in and it'll be hotter). .they may have to change wheel compound then to avoid overspeeding
True that, plus as it's testing AT can train ride operators in how the ride operates as well as conditions in which the ride can and cannot operate.

Plus it's good to have the ride worn in somewhat before the ride officially opens. As to see if any last minute changes need to happen.

And to make the H&S checklist happy...

I see, so I guess part of the testing is finding the right mix

To an extent but B&M will be fairly sure what is the right combination. Mostly the testing is to commission the mechanical and electrical systems and to get ADIPS certification.

But as an example one of the reasons Smiler is rough is because they had to put it on very hard compounds to stop it stalling.

To an extent but B&M will be fairly sure what is the right combination. Mostly the testing is to commission the mechanical and electrical systems and to get ADIPS certification.

But as an example one of the reasons Smiler is rough is because they had to put it on very hard compounds to stop it stalling.
Well that, and it was the first ever made infinity coaster model.

But with Nemesis, as you said, it's to get the certification ready and to see what conditions that Nemesis can operate under before it'd need to be closed for safety reasons.

Is that like lubricants?
No, as @rob666 has posted below.

The material the wheels are made of, harder rolls faster, at the sacrifice of some smoothness. . Softer will roll slower.

Compound will also affect the major servicing intervals of the trains I would have thought aswell.

As also stated - Nemesis is old enough now they probably know exactly what compound it should run on and may just need to experiment until its run in.

On the coasterlytical video you can see clearly one of the trains is clearing the top of the vertical loop quicker than the other. . So one is either on different compound wheels or has simply had more run time.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.