• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2024] Thorpe Park: Hyperia - Mack Hypercoaster

I honestly think a marginally edited version of this video would work well as the TV advert:

I think they’ve done pretty well at spreading awareness of the ride, and I feel that the initial, more ride-focused marketing, like this teaser video, was really good. It’s only in the last couple of days that I feel the marketing campaign has taken a strange turn.

I hope they go back to something more like this style of marketing as we head towards the opening.

Looking from a slightly different perspective, thoosies have filled four pages of this topic with over the top reaction to a sad little video, in twelve hours...so I'm guessing that from a marketing perspective, hyping a big new ride, they have done a top notch job of generating further interest, haven't they?

Can't base anything on websites or forums that generate numerous posts/pages on the current location of plant equipment.

It isn’t getting anyone *new* talking about he project
How do you know exactly?
Lots of people read only on this site, then go away and talk elsewhere.
It has generated talk and interest, undeniably, the last four pages on here make that clear...however crap the original material...it has generated more talk around the project.
It has served the original purpose.
Generating interest.

I think marketing should be effective for bringing attention to a general audience. There may be a few new people hearing about the ride based on their enthusiast friends telling them how bad the new videos are, but I don’t think that should be the goal of the marketing or be celebrated

In my view, they’ve done a fair job in terms of drumming up initial attention for the ride overall.

I think the initial promo footage with all the ride shots, the silhouette image of the coaster and all its big elements, and the general work they’ve been doing on spreading the word about Hyperia has been very good up to this point. To my knowledge, they have been showing the promo video with all the ride shots in various shopping centres and places around the South East, so they’re certainly spreading the word locally.

I think it’s only in the last couple of days, with the AI-generated image of the girl and then the big song and dance about the “story”, that it’s started to go a bit weird…

As we get closer to the opening, I hope that the wider advertising campaign is closer to the initial ride-focused stuff than the story-focused stuff of the last couple of days.

As mentioned in the Merlin thread, a new trademark application for "Skybound" has been lodged;

From: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=830234852474101&set=a.546286577535598&type=3&ref=embed_post

I think it will either be something to do with Hyperia's marketing or merch, or a new flat ride for the Fearless Valley area.

That would make sense, in my view. Thorpe were on about finally removing Slammer this season… maybe they’re planning for a new flat ride to replace it in 2025?

The comments section for the video on Instagram is brutal but TP are replying to everything and having fun with it at least.

This whole story is a bit strange, if they had even a little bit of theming this would work, but it's strange to push such a story to an area which clearly has no proper theme. I thought this ride was supposed to be 'stylised'?

That would make sense, in my view. Thorpe were on about finally removing Slammer this season… maybe they’re planning for a new flat ride to replace it in 2025?
As an update to this, Thorpe Park have now begun clearing the old queue of Slammer with machinery, as per Thorpe Park Mania:

Could this potentially be pointing towards work taking place on the old Slammer site and the possible installation of a new flat ride there?

As an update to this, Thorpe Park have now begun clearing the old queue of Slammer with machinery, as per Thorpe Park Mania:

Could this potentially be pointing towards work taking place on the old Slammer site and the possible installation of a new flat ride there?

If it is for a new ride and connected to the trademark application, a next-gen Intamin gyro swing like Loke at Liseberg would be nice. Would kind of fit the name as well.

If it is for a new ride and connected to the trademark application, a next-gen Intamin gyro swing like Loke at Liseberg would be nice. Would kind of fit the name as well.
I agree with that. As much as I personally am not a great lover of gyroswings, those rides are popular.

I also think the name "Skybound" would suggest something that involves going upwards in some capacity rather than simply spinning around, which limits your flat ride options to a drop tower (unlikely given that the park already has Detonator), or some sort of swinging flat ride. However, the park already has Rush and Vortex in terms of swinging flat rides, so I'm not too sure.

I agree with that. As much as I personally am not a great lover of gyroswings, those rides are popular.

I also think the name "Skybound" would suggest something that involves going upwards in some capacity rather than simply spinning around, which limits your flat ride options to a drop tower (unlikely given that the park already has Detonator), or some sort of swinging flat ride. However, the park already has Rush and Vortex in terms of swinging flat rides, so I'm not too sure.
Liseberg actually had a ride similar to Vortex and replaced it with Loke, so you never know.

Another interesting option would be a S&S shot tower with the new rotating seats, that would be cool.

The video is naff, the "area" name is laughable and unnecessary, the coaster is extremely short for it's height and speed, and the paint scheme makes it look like an ash tray full of fag butts.

But judging by the amount of posts hung up on the activities unfolding on those hideous social media networks, it's been a pretty successful campaign wouldn't you all say?

Thorpe Park aim to extract as much cash as possible from as many stoned out tracksuit wearing youngsters as possible. All these Twitter and Instant Gram platforms are like a religion to these people. As long as something catastrophic doesn't happen, who cares if it's short and the video is crap because it's a talking point isn't it? The target audience are talking about it, as many members are picking up on, and that's publicity whether it's critical or not. I'm sure "Forpe 'av a well lit coaster that's like literally well tall and fast innit bruv" posts will surely follow.

Something tells me that this strategy is intentional. They're not selling it to us lot, they're selling it to people they want to make money from. And those people are talking about it.

Last edited: