• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2024] Thorpe Park: Hyperia - Mack Hypercoaster

Any idea what team are working on it? I know RCS are over at Drayton and the progress they have made is very impressive. Am I right to guess this is the same people who worked on Nemesis?

Drayton Manor new coster is tiny, Hyperia is huge?

Nemesis already had alot of infrastructure and landscaping in place. Hyperia wind conditions come in to place with building at height and well…it’s huge? I’m not sure you can compare any of these different type of coasters, they all start of pretty fast as we’ve seen. But there various different reason set backs can occur, suppliers, contractors, weather conditions etc. I’m Not sure Drayton coaster will be open for opening season they still have a lot to do!

Last edited:
It's a huge construction project at a very high hight with maximum exposure to the elements.

Like above, alot of named storms that all mean the site needs to be locked down to keep safe.

I'd prefer a later opening than anyone of the builders hurt or put in danger. Safety should always be the top priority and if you consider each named storm probably ment 4 days of securing the site to be safe and not working at height that's 40 days!

Plus the rain and we don't know the tolerance of building at that height. Personally I think they have done a great job. I wish the rest of the construction crew a safe build for the remainder and would prefer no pressure from merlin or the community so it's built well and with safety as priority number 1!

Who cares if it doesn't open at the beginning of the season. I'd hate for a family to be missing a farther or mother because they didn't play it cautiously.

Exercising caution at a construction site during a winter storm is clearly a no-brainer.

It does beg the question of why the bulk of construction has taken place over the winter - I can only assume it was never part of the plan to be building the structure between October and February.

The higher-than-expected rainfall earlier in the year that led to the construction pit being submerged under water for weeks is more likely the main culprit here.

Exercising caution at a construction site during a winter storm is clearly a no-brainer.

It does beg the question of why the bulk of construction has taken place over the winter - I can only assume it was never part of the plan to be building the structure between October and February.

The higher-than-expected rainfall earlier in the year that led to the construction pit being submerged under water for weeks is more likely the main culprit here.
It’s also worth noting that the beginning of construction was delayed by a considerable period of time to begin with.

Thorpe Park originally intended for construction to start in September 2022, but due to the lengthy fracas with the Environment Agency, the planning application wasn’t even approved until November 2022, so construction ultimately started a good few months later than planned.

This might seem an odd thing to suggest, but as well as the size, I also reckon that the complexity of some of Hyperia’s supports might be contributing to its somewhat slower construction. It’s ridiculously over-supported in sections!

It’s also worth noting that the beginning of construction was delayed by a considerable period of time to begin with.

Thorpe Park originally intended for construction to start in September 2022, but due to the lengthy fracas with the Environment Agency, the planning application wasn’t even approved until November 2022, so construction ultimately started a good few months later than planned.

This might seem an odd thing to suggest, but as well as the size, I also reckon that the complexity of some of Hyperia’s supports might be contributing to its somewhat slower construction. It’s ridiculously over-supported in sections!

It can’t by definition be “over supported”. Mack wouldn’t put more supports in than needed as it makes it more expensive.

It can’t by definition be “over supported”. Mack wouldn’t put more supports in than needed as it makes it more expensive.
I didn’t mean “over-supported” in terms of supported more than it needs to be.

Perhaps “over-supported” wasn’t the best word, but I more meant that some of the supports on the ride are very bulky and complex, which could well have made construction longer. These supports certainly aren’t like the simple one or two tube supports you’d get on, say, a B&M Hyper Coaster. The combined support for the Immelmann and dive loop in particular is absolutely monstrous, and incredibly complex!

I apologise if that wasn’t clear.

I think ultimately the issue was the delay to planning permission. They won’t have signed a contract with Mack until they had permission then it needs fabricating. Add to that a particularly windy winter and you get the current delay.

If it is completed in March there is no reason with an intensive testing campaign they couldn’t make an end of May opening though. It’s not at the end of the day a mechanically complicated roller coaster.

Does anyone know if Hyperia is now Thorpes most expensive investment ever? I know Swarm cost around £18m-£20m so is it likely that Hyperia will be more than that?

Does anyone know if Hyperia is now Thorpes most expensive investment ever? I know Swarm cost around £18m-£20m so is it likely that Hyperia will be more than that?

Given the rate of inflation over the time period I’d say that’s a given. No idea on cost though.

While an exact cost was never confirmed, Thorpe Park always marketed DBGT as “[their] most expensive investment ever”, so I think it’s fair to assume that it did indeed usurp Swarm’s £18-20m price tag.

As for Hyperia, the construction cost was listed as £17.5m during the consultation.

While an exact cost was never confirmed, Thorpe Park always marketed DBGT as “[their] most expensive investment ever”, so I think it’s fair to assume that it did indeed usurp Swarm’s £18-20m price tag.

As for Hyperia, the construction cost was listed as £17.5m during the consultation.
Does construction include the manufacturing and stuff? What about all the marketing too

All marketing is included in claimed budget, for the sake of marketing!

Never seen anything more credible than the reported £13 million for Derren Brown's Ghost Train. They were robbed at that, so if it was any more that really would be laughable.

Hyperia is unlikely to be fully worth the Mack premium, but still a bold investment, finally.

All marketing is included in claimed budget, for the sake of marketing!

Never seen anything more credible than the reported £13 million for Derren Brown's Ghost Train. They were robbed at that, so if it was any more that really would be laughable.

Hyperia is unlikely to be fully worth the Mack premium, but still a bold investment, finally.
Derren Brown's Ghost Train would have shelled out a decent chunk of that figure for the Derren Brown IP alone.