• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2024] Thorpe Park: Hyperia - Mack Hypercoaster

I'm not a big fan of many of the design choices of this ride including the look of those trains, but that is a personal view and as long as the thing rides well, what it looks like doesn't matter.

Reading so much of the stuff online by enthusiasts does smack of hypocrisy though. This coaster is not themed... in fact you could say it's stylised. Lots of 'thoosies' who absolutely panned Icon at PB for being styalised, seem to have an exceedingly different take on this coaster. We are an odd bunch of nerds we are.

P.S. I think Icon looks way better in all areas if we are going to do a Mack beauty contest.

Reading so much of the stuff online by enthusiasts does smack of hypocrisy though. This coaster is not themed... in fact you could say it's stylised. Lots of 'thoosies' who absolutely panned Icon at PB for being styalised, seem to have an exceedingly different take on this coaster. We are an odd bunch of nerds we are.
See, I’d argue the opposite. This seems to be getting far more stick for being stylised rather than themed than I remember Icon getting, despite it being a large enough ride that it arguably makes properly in-depth theming impractical to some degree.

I never really remember people batting an eyelid about Icon being stylised during the construction process of that, but this seems to be getting all manner of stick for not being heavily themed. Granted, some of the specific design choices of Hyperia, like the queue, certainly seem to be attracting criticism, and BPB has never really done proper coaster theming whereas Thorpe Park has in the past, but Hyperia seems to be getting a lot more flack for not being heavily themed than I ever remember Icon getting.

As for the trains; I quite like the colour scheme and the front bar, but I’m not too sure on the nose car at the moment. I think it might have looked better had they gone for the Icon/Helix style nose car design.

Would assume they'll have to do the pull-through and clearance checks first before a full test run. Shouldn't be too long though hopefully!
I don’t think Mack usually tend to do pull throughs, if I’m remembering correctly. I certainly don’t remember rides like Voltron and Starfall Racers having pull throughs.

Not too many manufacturers do pull throughs; they tend to be more of an Intamin thing, from my experience.

Sorry to double post and go on a slight tangent, but I just wanted to acknowledge; thanks for teaching me a new word @Skyscraper! I had no idea “clandestine” was even a word… but apparently it is a different word for “in secret” that I’d never heard of!

You truly do learn something new every day…

Sorry to double post and go on a slight tangent, but I just wanted to acknowledge; thanks for teaching me a new word @Skyscraper! I had no idea “clandestine” was even a word… but apparently it is a different word for “in secret” that I’d never heard of!

Ah no problem Matt! As an example, JW uses it in Creating My Nemesis when describing Vampire's secret first test run in the early hours.

And that's a good point about Mack not really doing pull throughs, it hadn't crossed my mind that they're not always done.

Ah no problem Matt! As an example, JW uses it in Creating My Nemesis when describing Vampire's secret first test run.

And that's a good point about Mack not really doing pull throughs, it hadn't crossed my mind that they're not always done.
Funnily enough, I’ve actually read Wardley’s first book at least once, yet today was the first time I’ve ever twigged it being used… clearly I hadn’t noticed Wardley use it!

On a more on-topic note, I reckon we are mere days, or possibly even hours given that they’ve already filled a train with water dummies, from a first test run. We really are nearly there now, and I could not be more excited!
EDIT: Thorpe have confirmed that there will be no test runs today, so it’ll be at least tomorrow before the ride tests.

Really? Someone as intelligent, articulate, and well read as you has only just come across the word Clandestine?

Wow. I'm thick as they come and I'm very familiar with it's usage. Maybe it's a sign of the times and how our language is changing?

They'll probably test it after park hours in the coming days, probably have the local media there as well like they did with Nemesis Reborn.

I do like the train design but don't get how it fits with the name and story. Ironically the zero car design on Icon and Helix would seem more fitting to the theme they've developed.