• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

UK Politics General Discussion

What will be the result of the UK’s General Election?

• Other Result (Please specify in your post)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
20% of people went out and voted for Labour yesterday. That is lower than Corbyn in the 2019 so-called historic defeat where Starmer and others were to blame for the loss due to the stupidity of talking about a second Brexit vote, let alone the 2017 election under Corbyn.

We will see if Starmer is clever enough to survive more than one term. There is huge work to be done.
While this was the case, Starmer’s vote share was higher than Corbyn’s in 2019, and he did still get a lot more votes than any other party in this particular election. So his victory is no less valid than anyone else’s in the circumstances.

I do agree that Labour’s coalition of support could be fragile as a result of the considerable number of marginal seats compared to usual, but I think Starmer’s victory is just as applaudable as anyone else’s given the circumstances. Yes, his vote share was low for a majority government, but that was likely due in part to the absolute collapse in the Conservative vote share and the fragmenting of votes across a number of different parties compared to usual.

In a possibly related note, I also have my suspicions that an unusually high prevalence of anti-Tory tactical voting may have played a role in Labour’s low vote share; many of the folks who voted for the Liberal Democrats or Green Party may have been broadly supportive of a Labour government and simply voted Lib Dem or Green as it was the tactical choice in their constituency.

On a side note, why is Starmer’s cabinet choosing poor? I don’t see anything wrong with his choices myself.

That’s just section 28 dressed up for the 2020s - reject it and it will go away is a strategy that never works

The fact is, gender identity is a protected characteristic, and there is already robust law in place to protect single sex spaces. The narrative that has been allowed to take hold has led to huge rises in transphobia, attacks, and ultimately the murder of a teenage girl

If you don’t care about the politic climate and voices (including Rosie Duffield’s) that led to that I don’t know what else I can say and it certainly isn’t something that I wish to “debate” further
Great, because there's nothing to debate. The 4+ years of death and rape threats issued to Women like Rosie and JK by the trans community rendered any potential for debating this nonsense entirely null and void.

I have more concern for literal dead teenagers and trans people than the hurt feelings of millionaires and their cronies :)
Call me when they issue 4+ years' worth of death and rape threats to literally any trans person, then go explain to your female family members why some Women are fair game for threats of physical and sexual violence based solely on their refusal to view Men as Women or their hurty wurty tweets.

I think this highlights that the tories lost this election not Labour won it, Starmer managed to get 1m less total votes than Labour’s worst election result ever.

In the parameters of the system we have, they focussed their resources in order to achieve the win - strategy which succeeded. I know many many people who would ordinarily vote Labour went out and voted tactically this time around. We’ve been burned by FPTP allowing the Tories in for too long

In the parameters of the system we have, they focussed their resources in order to achieve the win - strategy which succeeded. I know many many people who would ordinarily vote Labour went out and voted tactically this time around. We’ve been burned by FPTP allowing the Tories in for too long
I agree with this. I reckon there was quite clearly a greater degree of tactical voting this time than usual, which would have lowered the Labour vote share overall due to more focused voting from anti-Tory voters.

With the Lib Dems in particular, I reckon that there would be a definite strong negative correlation between the Lib Dem vote share and the Labour vote share in a given seat; where the Lib Dem vote share is higher, the Labour vote share is a lot, lot lower, and vice versa. The Lib Dems won their highest seat share by some margin this time and had a notably increased vote share.

This effect was maybe not quite so prominent with the Greens, as they and some of their supporters do seem quite critical of Labour, but even still, I think Green seats tended to have a considerably lower Labour and Lib Dem vote share. The Greens had a much higher vote share this time and managed to win Bristol Central, Waveney Valley and North Herefordshire, which they’ve never managed before.

On a side note, we do have a topic about Gender Identity if people wanted to discuss the transgender debate further: https://towersstreet.com/talk/threads/gender-identity.5210/

To follow on Matt’s observation, this election was seen about more than just getting the Conservatives out, for many it was a real chance for reset. As Labour campaigned, it was a vote for change.

It’s clear that this election and political landscape has been one where people were able to say whatever they want without recourse, especially when it comes to exploiting fears of the electorate. The tactic of creating scenarios, false flag allegations, sensationalising, misquoting, personal attacks, and even ignoring whole quantities of evidence and law is all to familiar for anyone observing the Conservatives, their far right allies, and the figures that were able to platform their own views presenting themselves as a silent voices. It’s a strategy that is all too easy to spot and causes division and hatred

This election could signal an end to that, let’s hope for everyone’s sake we can move forward towards that future

As for the inbound cabinet, there have been some excellent choices. The most interesting is the appointment of Timpson as Prisons minister. He already has an extensive programme supporting ex convicts in his eponymous shops, this could suggest Labour are eyeing serious reform with the prison system

Last edited:
Mods feel free to chop up my post for moving to respective threads.

Relating to it, why is it always trans women who are seen as "the problem", if they are not considered women what do we do with trans men? Are they still considered women then and will they feel comfortable being forced to share women only spaces.

Amused by argument of "but the death threats", when the number of trans people who have committed suicide for a number of reasons seems to be ignored. Sure a number of them have received death threats too (I'm fairly certain that if I created a fake profile on Twitter announcing that I would be transitioning it would get a LOT of abuse). But me calling JK Rowling a bigoted arse is too far I guess (especially after her latest rant to the void).

Let people be want they want. I would bet a number of women would feel safer with a trans women as well as a bear over any cis het man, be it in the woods or a bathroom.

In Starmer news, day 1 is going well.

From: https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/1809313761301524729

Apologies if I’m missing something, but do you mean this sarcastically, or do you genuinely think that Starmer’s first day is going well? I find it hard to tell online…

I’m glad he’s scrapped the Rwanda scheme, if I’m being honest. I was never entirely comfortable with the idea of the UK doing something like that that violated international human rights law, and even putting the human rights violations aside, it was a very costly solution that couldn’t even cope with that many migrants (wasn’t it only something like 250 per year being sent?), so it was a very inefficient way of dealing with illegal immigration.
Didn't he openly say he'd do that during the campaign?
Yes, he did. It was in Labour’s manifesto.

Mods feel free to chop up my post for moving to respective threads.

Relating to it, why is it always trans women who are seen as "the problem", if they are not considered women what do we do with trans men? Are they still considered women then and will they feel comfortable being forced to share women only spaces.

Amused by argument of "but the death threats", when the number of trans people who have committed suicide for a number of reasons seems to be ignored. Sure a number of them have received death threats too (I'm fairly certain that if I created a fake profile on Twitter announcing that I would be transitioning it would get a LOT of abuse). But me calling JK Rowling a bigoted arse is too far I guess (especially after her latest rant to the void).

Let people be want they want. I would bet a number of women would feel safer with a trans women as well as a bear over any cis het man, be it in the woods or a bathroom.

[/i]

You can call JK Rowling whatever you like, I’d just like to think you wouldn’t send her a rape or death threat, just as you wouldn’t want a female family member or friend or partner or boss or bank manager or baker or candle stick maker to be on the receiving end of such a hideous thing. It’s got nothing to do with feeling sympathy or bank balances and more to do with rejecting the normalisation of such hideous acts.

When thousands of people at London trans pride last year screamed with approval when Sarah Jane Baker, convicted torturer, screamed “punch a fucking TERF in the face” into the mic, what is that exactly? If JK tweeted anything remotely similar, Lord the suicide myths and genocide propaganda machine would implode.

Transmen pose no threat to Men’s spaces, services, rights or sports (why so many TW athletes and competitors and next to no TM?). The same can’t be said about transwomen. Simple!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just had an odd thought… I think this may be the first time I ever properly remember a new PM being elected via a general election rather than through a Tory leadership contest.

I vaguely remember David Cameron first being elected in 2010, but I was only 7 at the time and didn’t follow politics whatsoever. I’ve always associated a new PM with the likes of Sir Graham Brady, “the 1922 Committee” and an internal Tory leadership contest, so seeing a new PM elected through a general election is quite an interesting change of pace for me!

It's not simple, as you've clearly demonstrated. It's far more nuanced, complex and emotionally charged.

Aside from any of that, none of this is about the General Election and is entirely off topic.

I'm not a mod, they would appear to be busy, but it has been asked of you to drop any further discussion, as some people might be getting hurt or upset. A few users have also attempted to bring the conversation back to the topic at hand too, and you have ignored them and continued.

We've all had a long evening, we've all had a long day. The General Election is now over and we're all trying to work out what happens next, perhaps it's best we all sleep on it and see what the morning brings?

Liz Truss arguing that the Tories failed as they hadn’t had enough time to “clean up the mess left in 2010” was a spectacular highlight of the day.
I think Liz Truss is one of the main causes of the Tory defeat. Utterly laughable few weeks at the helm .

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tom