• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[202X] Project Horizon (SW9?): Planning Approved

We know Merlin parks work on a 4 year capex cycle so I wouldn’t at all be surprised to see PH in 2028.

2025 Project ocean & Galactica glow up
2026 X sector flat & Flying Theatre
2027 TWWDW re-theme & Mutiny Bay Flat
2028 PH opens and Spinball removed

Not sure where a Flying Theatre would go?
Not sure where a flat goes in MB when XS and DF need them urgently?
Spinball has no reason to be removed?

I don't see this as being written off, more so a shuffling of the deck. The priorities are clearly being immediately addressed, with entertainment enhancements and filling the void created by the gutting of the flat ride line up. Another single coaster with lengthy queues (let's be honest, Horizon isn't going to clear more than 1000pph) isn't going to quell the average low ride count per guest on a busy day factor.

I'm also not going to discard the possibility of Intamin as the manufacturer. Studio Tour and Gold Rush are both pretty fair case studies in terms of flexibility for a ride of this scale.

They have permission to commence works up to June 2026, so they could postpone this to 2027/2028, and I wouldn't be surprised if they did. Heck, they could even ensure the warehouse starts construction before the permission expires and then open the ride whenever they fancy beyond that.

Say if they went for a 2027 opening, that gives them two seasons between now and then to sort out other areas of the park first.

I doubt it will be shelved simply because it sits within an area where permission for development is difficult, and an indoor ride does fill a void at Towers.

Regardless of when the ride would open, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw clearance work start over the closed season - wasn't the 2 new Scarefest buildings classed as storage too on the planning application? Maybe they're going to get Scarefest out the way then start using these 2 new locations to store stuff from the Horizon site.

Betting all the chips on Wickerman only worked temporarily though didn't it? And they virtually had to give away season passes to get people to come and ride it. Whilst Wickerman was undoubtedly an excellent investment, filled a hole in the lineup, and is well themed, the neglect of the rest of the place continued.

Aside from the 3 desperately needed new flat rides, they've had to divert masses of Capex just to try and stand still. This has come late in the day, and is why we've ended up with this season and the last being so lackluster. Something had to be done about Duel, The Skyride, Hex, and the PLC for Spinball. It seems like the to-do list was so long that it came too late for the Spa and Enterprise. Although Wickerman was desperately needed, it seems so were all these other things and Capex is finite.

Now, Galactica needs work, the Smiler has been looking visually bad for a number of years, and the rapids is pretty baron these days. There's aging hardware like Oblivion, RMT, and the Monorail that could need some serious attention soon. That's before we talk about all the peeling paint, empty buildings, awful permanent food offering, and needed Dungeon replacement. Horizon is expensive, and the costs of everything they're investing in at the moment, and need to invest in soon, has to come from somewhere.

It's likely that we can't have both, otherwise we end up in a situation like we're in now. The ride lineup has been embarrassing these last 2 seasons due to years of underinvestment. We spent 3 seasons with funfair flats drafted in. I'm sure Horizon would be wonderful and would attract a large number of guests in it's opening year, but what would the rest of the park be like by then? If they started work on Horizon soon, I bet you'd be looking at significant trade-offs elsewhere.

I agree with all the points above but may i also add this will be AT only fully enclosed family rollercoaster, which could be potentially utilised all year round especially in harsh windy and rainy conditions or when the temperature drops below zero, where other rides have to close we need a big high capacity filler for everyone. This would certainly be another great addition to the family market and very practical for events like Christmas, Feb half term etc. I would argue this is quite an important investment that needs to be sooner than later with the hope of expansion and re theme of DWL.

It’s also alot less Maintence with no annual pressure washing and no painting with little exposure to the outside elements. It’s a very practical investment In my eyes.

Last edited:
Not sure where a Flying Theatre would go?
Not sure where a flat goes in MB when XS and DF need them urgently?
Spinball has no reason to be removed?

Plenty of places a flying theatre could go at Alton. TWWDW, car park above CBeebies. Magic HQ car park. Air car park. In place of Dungeons. Coach park behind RMT. On the spinball site.

In terms of a MB flat im more getting at a family attraction of some sort. Alton won’t go that long without a family investment.

Spinball is on Alton LTDP as up for removal/relocation so ask them.

I honestly thought there was a chance they may relocate Spinball to coaster corner and enclose it. Seems a win win.

Last edited:
Plenty of places a flying theatre could go at Alton. TWWDW, car park above CBeebies. Magic HQ car park. Air car park. In place of Dungeons. Coach park behind RMT. On the spinball site.

In terms of a MB flat im more getting at a family attraction of some sort. Alton won’t go that long without a family investment.

You would have to do some hefty excavation work on any of those sites to keep the building below the tree line.

You would have to do some hefty excavation work on any of those sites to keep the building below the tree line.

Granted some feel more likely.

TWWDW it would be significantly lower than PH
By HQ I think would just about squeeze in, and Air car park.

The others (car park above CBeebies and behind RMT) are touch and go. But maybe suitable for less tall indoor attractions.

I honestly thought there was a chance they may relocate Spinball to coaster corner and enclose it. Seems a win win.
Glad to see that you've reconsidered your previous suggestion of adding it to the end of Hex.

I think ripping out car parks that hundreds of staff use on a day-to-day basis for a flying theatre or any kind of attraction is not the most realistic idea I've ever heard lol
You say that, but often staff amenities will take a far lower priority than guest attractions/amenities.

I believe the Legoland flying theatre was built on land which, whilst granted not as important as a car park, was regularly used for staff events and socials, as well as break space in the summer, leaving them without any equivalent external area now.

Horizon being built slowly is something I could see. Start work, leisurely do the concrete pad and warehouse ready for even as far as a 2030 opening, whilst opening 4 flat rides in the meantime.