• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[202X] Project Ocean: New Forbidden Valley Flat Ride

Coaster Rob has done a video about what could happen if Ripsaw did make a return. The image he has created is really good and if it did come back, I wouldn't be disappointed if it looked like that!

1712521077551.png

Wouldn't mind if new look Ripsaw has yellow as it's main colour much like how Nemesis and Galactica have red and blue as their main colours respectively.

Would actually help give some more colour to Forbidden Valley instead of being just red and black. Plus that video does have some good suggestions of having the water feature on the Top Spin being the acid saliva from the monster itself being spat at you, might even tie in with the returning waterfalls being now acid falls instead of blood waterfalls should the blood falls never return and overall creates a larger narrative for the area.

Wouldn't mind if new look Ripsaw has yellow as it's main colour much like how Nemesis and Galactica have red and blue as their main colours respectively.

Would actually help give some more colour to Forbidden Valley instead of being just red and black. Plus that video does have some good suggestions of having the water feature on the Top Spin being the acid saliva from the monster itself being spat at you, might even tie in with the returning waterfalls being now acid falls instead of blood waterfalls should the blood falls never return and overall creates a larger narrative for the area.
Yellow would also match with Ground Command Coffee which would be directly opposite

Coaster Rob has done a video about what could happen if Ripsaw did make a return. The image he has created is really good and if it did come back, I wouldn't be disappointed if it looked like that!

1712521077551.png

I can’t be the only one annoyed that this artistic rendering is running at such low capacity?!

If Merlin want to be taken seriously, all their unaffiliated artist impressions and fan fiction should be running at maximum throughput! Even on imaginary off peak Tuesdays!

Yellow would also match with Ground Command Coffee which would be directly opposite
Forgot to mention that, but would also match with Blade which could help link the two flat rides together storywise. Wonder if they missed a chance to repaint the exterior of the Sub Terra building to match in with the area a little more as admittingly it could do with a little TLC.

Only need to find something for Galactica to match with but that's another story.

Forgot to mention that, but would also match with Blade which could help link the two flat rides together storywise. Wonder if they missed a chance to repaint the exterior of the Sub Terra building to match in with the area a little more as admittingly it could do with a little TLC.

Only need to find something for Galactica to match with but that's another story.
Galactica is a hard one to pin down in FV as it doesn't really fit in with the theming and the ride itself unless themed as a phalanx jet fighter thing to help take on nemmy it really doesn't fit in
Or it's a portal jumper to take you to nemmys home dimension so you can see it's home turf (phalanx kinda exploring the area kinda thing)
But idk

Last edited:
Just a bit of speculative thought on my part, if this is indeed a Ripsaw replacement with an 'Ocean' theme. What if this was a device that The Phalanx have utilised some sort of Space Tech from Galactica's presence in order to control the flow the waves from the ocean to counter Nemesis and fight back.

And it would have the name "Operation Riptide", which pays homage to the original Ripsaw but without directly relying upon nostalgia for the old model...

Last edited:
Just a bit of speculative thought on my part, if this is indeed a Ripsaw replacement with an 'Ocean' theme. What if this was a device that The Phalanx have utilised some sort of Space Tech from Galactica's presence in order to control the flow the waves from the ocean to counter Nemesis and fight back.

And it would have the name "Operation Riptide", which pays homage to the original Ripsaw but without directly relying upon nostalgia for the old model...
Why can I see bpb taking this idea to wash out all the fun parts of there park 😂😂😂

Riptide is a great name to fit the Project Ocean theme and pay homage to Ripsaw. I would hedge a bet on it actually being called Riptide.

I think people are looking in to project codenames waaaaaaay too much.
Oh I don't think it's literally going to be themed directly to the ocean, I just got an idea that I wanted to share and entertain the idea a bit.

Just a bit of 'top of your head' style speculation.

I think it's worth remembering that the concept of having Themed lands, in which every ride shares a common story, is still relatively new (outside of Disney).
When Nemesis first opened it shared Forbidden Valley with Thunder Looper, The Beast, and Beastie. None of which followed the same theme.
The Forbidden Valley of the early 2000s is the one most people remember. But even then The Blade and Ripsaw stylistically matched the post apocalyptic feel, but not in story. A giant cutting blade and saw are a perfect match for each other, but would have more in common with Thirteens 'Forest out of control' story than 'a monster from another world'.

X-Sector is similar. Before The Smiler Black Hole, Enterprise, and Submission were more generic space than specifically tied to Oblivion. What mattered is that they all shared a style; Black with a bold font, each having a unique colour to set them apart.

I'm sure this new ride will have a long and complicated story linking it to Nemesis, and maybe setting up future plans for Galactica. But I'd rather it be a good ride first, with a theme that feels at home in Forbidden Valley.

@Tim spot on with your comments.

For me this whole story thing is so not needed. I don’t need my flats to link to the main rise and the coffee shop to link as well.

The key word you used was style. That’s a must. Areas but have a coherent style and I think we are now starting to see that in FV.

Old (proper) Forbidden Valley, and X Sector were just stylised. The anchor coaster was the centerpiece that carried the theme, everything else was just there for the hell of it and made to fit. Which is a good thing over all this nonsense story explanation crap. Less explaining, more entertaining.

Not every single thing needs some kind of story behind it if there's an overarching Lore. Just makes it all the more confusing when they rebrand or retheme.

Just build the ride, paint it black and red and job's a good 'un. Fits in to the current theme and doesn't have Jackanory behind it for people to pull holes in.

I think people are looking in to project codenames waaaaaaay too much.
I wouldnt say so given the poster I posted which is located right next to the project ocean site and clearly states there are 'Ocean' phalanx facilities. It will be similar to Ripsaw with the water element again, and they will tie this in as an 'ocean' related phalanx facility. The two theming elements either side of the ride I suspect will be giant water tanks with some kind of glass element to showcase the water inside.

If Alton Towers want to be taken seriously as a modern 'theme park', then theme (storytelling) is the way to go. They're not a stylized amusement park like Thorpe Park or Cedar Point. Today's park guests are well travelled or are aware of the kind of themed lands that exist at the Disney parks and the like. If Alton Towers is to survive as a theme park, it has to rely on storytelling, or at the very least authentic world building (which is still a form of storytelling, just take Rookburgh as an example of this) as any true theme park has to, which at the end of the day are all about immersing guests in worlds that don't otherwise exist in people's ordinary lives. Stylized areas don't offer the same level of escapism as authentically themed areas do. So I'm all for Project Ocean carrying a story theme.

Universal is potentially on the horizon for Bedford, this means that Alton Towers has to keep pushing immersive world building/storytelling over stylistic boredom.

Last edited: