• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[202X] Project Ocean: New Forbidden Valley Flat Ride

If i’m honest I don’t think this will have water for the following reasons:

1) It was a major cause of ripsaws technical issues.

2) It puts a main path for non-riders traversing FV in a splash zone.

3) It puts off some riders.

4) It’s harder to coordinate the jets with the gondola on the floorless version (you can’t do the over the head backwards splash as you would annihilate the other row for example).

If it does have water jets I suspect they will be programmed for near misses rather than a soaking.

On VHS, or DigiBeta with that camera. I'm not quite as old as @DiogoJ42, he ought to be able to confirm.

As has been mentioned, they're definitely all actors. Nice way to work the construction into their routine though!
It'll be a DigiBetacam. It's been the standard tape format for at least the last two decades. (Yes, younglings, believe it or not, tape is still used, especially with a PSC shoot in the out and about.)

The only other thing added to the application today, which still hasn't publicly been granted/denied planning permission, is how they're planning to protect the Deer Wall that runs along that side of Forbidden Valley. Not the most exciting document that we've seen but there is one curious element within it. Answers on a postcard as to what the 'splat' on the Galactica side of the ride structure could mean. I don't remember seeing it in any other document uploaded so far.

Untitled2.jpg
I've not seen this before! Is it me or does the "splat" look like a pond of some kind?

First instinct is it looks like a puddle. As if the planners are suggesting that water jets used on the ride may spill some water onto the path below. As others have suggested, these water jets or whatever could be turned off in colder weather.

Could be mis-interpreting it though.

It'll be a DigiBetacam. It's been the standard tape format for at least the last two decades. (Yes, younglings, believe it or not, tape is still used, especially with a PSC shoot in the out and about.)
Could I add I had an excellent V2000 system until quite recently.

Further to the height restriction discussion, when Talocan opened the height restriction was min. 1.45m / max. 1.95m. From my collection of old park maps it looks like the minimum height was reduced in 2012 as by winter season the lower height restriction had been brought in. I don't know why it was changed but it's possible the height restriction for a similar ride at Towers could be even higher than 1.4m.

Planning permission has been approved.

The delegated report details the proposal with the following:
The new ride will sit on top of a building which has dimensions of approx. 11.5m by 14.5m and which is shown to span across the existing wide path to form an underpass arrangement. The building has a height of 4.8m.

Details of the actual ride are not provided for commercial reasons, however the maximum parameters of the ride when operational are clearly shown. The top height in operation is 18m. When on site the Case Officer was shown a visual of the ride and is satisfied that the amount of information shown on the amended plans is sufficient to enable an understanding of the visual impact of the ride and its extent when operational.

Revised plans requested by the Case Officer now show the proposed queue lines formed within the area of existing green banking to the north west. Sections have also been provided.

The ride is accessed via external stairs leading to the top of the building. Guests leave the ride on the opposite side of the building, again via an external staircase. A lift is provided for any guests with mobility issues.

Two theming structures are shown either side of the ride – height of approx. 10m. Again detailing is reserved for commercial reasons.
The bold, regarding the queue, is a definite alteration to the original proposal which mentioned the queueline 'wrapping to the South and South-East'. So I guess we now know the reason for the hold-up and agreed extension.

This 'area of existing green banking to the north west' where this revised queue line will be is where Ripsaw's queue was, right?

Last edited:
We still anticipating a 2025 opening?

Does seem strange to do this amount of construction during the season just for a flat ride, especially after opening up the new Nemmy. Bit of an eye sore isn't it?

However I suppose it could be in anticipation of bad weather over next winter maybe? Probably a lot easier to do the work when the ground is softer.

We still anticipating a 2025 opening?

It seems suspiciously like they're intending to get it up and running this season.

If the 15-week build period given in the latest document is to be believed (and it does seem like a reasonable build time for what is proposed), then this will be up by the end of Summer if they are actually starting construction now.

Otherwise, even allowing for an extra month for slippage, there would be no reason to start construction before the end of the season.

It could be an interesting experiment for them to open something new in Septmeber-time ahead of Oktoberfest and Scarefest. It'd no doubt add some welcome additional capacity for the busy end of the season, but also interesting to see if a secondary ride opening at that time would lead to an additional bump in attendance during the quiet period in September.

IF it dose open in the september, and depending when hex reopens we could see a ride reopening every season this year (apart from winter of course), nemesis reopening after its retrack for spring, hex back hopefully for summer and ripsaw back for autum.

It’s funny that both new developments at Alton Towers are not new to Alton Towers.

It surprises me they’ve gone in this direction. They’ll have no doubt seen re-tracking Nemesis as a bigger risk since it’s technically not a new ride to bring the punters in… then they’ve gone and [almost] done it again with Ripsaw!

They’re putting their creative marketing skills to the test of late.

It seems suspiciously like they're intending to get it up and running this season.

If the 15-week build period given in the latest document is to be believed (and it does seem like a reasonable build time for what is proposed), then this will be up by the end of Summer if they are actually starting construction now.

Otherwise, even allowing for an extra month for slippage, there would be no reason to start construction before the end of the season.

It could be an interesting experiment for them to open something new in Septmeber-time ahead of Oktoberfest and Scarefest. It'd no doubt add some welcome additional capacity for the busy end of the season, but also interesting to see if a secondary ride opening at that time would lead to an additional bump in attendance during the quiet period in September.

Nemesis
Hex
Ripsaw returns

All in the same season.

Merlin have definitely got the fear.

Although I’d argue Ripsaw for Summer and Hex for Autumn would be a better fit.

Makes you wonder what awaits for 2025 if anything. A Galactica retheme and a flat in X Sector would be a steady year with Horizon for 2026