• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[20XX] Euro Mir 2.0

CSLKenny

TS Member
For a long time it's been no secret that Euro Mir is set to get the 'Sat treatment' at some point in the future; and it's a project that keeps sliding back with the 2018 fire, corona and other priorities (like Voltron).

Discussion around it has heated up this week after a picture made it's way online this week taken in the Mack NeXT offices - with various concept arts blurred out on the wall behind. However still legible are the words "Euro Mir 2.0". While blurred you can also make out shapes in the arts above which look somewhat like Mack's spinner trains with their back to back seating.
So presumably they are already in some kind of active development for the project.
IMG_5221.jpg

IMG_5221.jpg

It's probably too early to get too excited (or dismayed if you enjoy pain) given the issues facing the industry currently, delays with Voltron and who knows where this comes in the order of future projects we already know about; still given the discord around Eurosat it will be intriguing to see which direction this project takes in a few years time.
I doubt after Voltron and Croatia in 2024 we will see an immediate quick turnaround again as we did with Eurosat (2018) after Voletarium (2017) - so maybe 2026 at the earliest? 2027?

From: https://twitter.com/mackadam_epinfo/status/1576885335560052737?s=46&t=HqZ1ZZvfHgHwYoejfso-6w

I loved CanCan’s theming myself; I think the queue was absolutely gorgeous, and the ride itself is just completely nuts with all the scenery and can-can music playing!

It’s an absolutely impeccable themed experience in my view; to be honest, it’s probably the best themed roller coaster I’ve ridden outside of Disney or Universal!

If Euro Mir gets the CanCan treatment, then that can only be a good thing, in my eyes; CanCan is a really fun coaster and a lovely themed experience, in my opinion!

Also, I wasn’t a fan of the current Euro Mir at all on my recent visit, and I think a retrack would hugely improve it.

I’m with Matt. Eurosat was too much for my tastes, although I appreciate some loved it’s intensity. The redo was a joy and even if you don’t like the tamed down coaster, I think most agree it now fits in with the French area far better.

It’ll come as no surprise given my feelings for Eurosat that Euromir is also too much for my tastes. It too has a rather incongruous relationship with the rest of Russia and I truly hope that’s addressed in a similar way to CanCan. I have to admit though I’m a little less clear on how the redo may unfold. I’m guessing the lifthill will stay because of it’s uniqueness, as too the towers in some guise, but the track itself after the meander around the towers? If the trend is to make these rides more family friendly then there’s either a lot of trims or a new layout on the cards on would have thought.

Just came back from EP a couple weeks ago (big trip report forthcoming!) but after riding EuroMir again, this is great news. It's not a bad ride by any means, but I would hesitate to call it a good one, and it's second-to-last on my list of EP coasters, only ahead of the Swiss Bobsled Run. The only good part of the ride is the part just after the lift hill, the Wild Mouse section where you're spinning around the mirrored towers. The lift hill itself is pretty boring and the more intense coaster part at the end is not very comfortable if you end up backwards (or forwards, for that matter).

It is hard to say what a revamp would look like. At this point I would agree with Venny that the lift hill (hopefully with a retheme!) and the tower sections will likely stay, but the final third of the ride will see some changes. I hope they leave the mirrored towers up, they look very cool and it's a unique thing to EP's skyline.

I never rode EuroSat but I have mixed feelings on CanCan Coaster. Some parts of it are brilliant (the lift hill, the moon winking at you, the ending under the dancers' legs) but there are a few too many segments of pure darkness, and some of the effects could be spruced up a bit beyond the aforementioned cardboard cutouts. I did realize that the onboard audio was broken on one of the rides where I was underwhelmed, and when I rode again with audio working I liked the ride a lot more, so that might have played a part in it. I think Space Mountain (as the obvious analog to CanCan Coaster) works because space is pitch black, but a ride themed to speeding through the streets Paris could have a little more going on visually in my opinion.

I would happily see the ride pretty much ripped out and started again. Yeah the lift hill is cool, and so are the towers, but they also don’t fit in with the area or the way EP feels now. I would love a ride to happiness style ride, maybe themed to the rest of the Russian area, or even a new country.

The skyline around Mir is about to change dramatically. I think that once it does the question of if the towers fit in might give a different answer.
Personally I see the towers as iconic and worth keeping.

Do we know if the towers are actually used for anything? Most large theme park structures that appear to be empty normally have some back of house use, my own office is an unused part of a ride.

I'd love to see an extreme spinner replace Mir but I do wonder if that's really the target audience they are aiming for. Sat and Mir were always about on par with intensity. I've heard CanCan was deliberately toned down as many guests were finding it too rough and it had lost its family appeal. They might see Mir as that same mid-level thrill and convert it to a more traditional family spinner (Of which Mir was technically the first anyway).

Do we know if the towers are actually used for anything? Most large theme park structures that appear to be empty normally have some back of house use, my own office is an unused part of a ride.
Don’t they house some of the system that Reliable Coke uses? Obviously it’s well known that the coke itself is stored beneath the ride but aren’t some of the pumps and the overflow in some of the towers?

Second best coaster at EP, I hope if they feel the need to change it it's only for good. Still plenty more worse options to remove (BoredBarnes I'm looking at you)

Can't believe you're this wrong.

You can’t believe it because you know I am right :)

It’s a naff ride that appeals to the masochistic enthusiast who likes long boring preludes followed by shaking and juddering without thrill or fear…

It's still my second favourite coaster in the park and the one I'll miss most when it's gone - Wodan is better but there's a lot of good GCIs out there whilst Mir is totally unique.

I can see why people don't like it but I can't get enough of those final few turns, especially if facing backwards.

Unlike Sat, I have zero confidence that I'll enjoy whatever replaces it anywhere near as much

EuroMir getting torn down is literally the best thing to potentially happen at EP since swim up bars in Rulantica….
I think the removal of Euro-Mir to be replaced with another perfectly polished, heavily themed ride will probably be what happens.

Then people will whinge that the queueline is tedious and the ride bland.

Euro-Mir commands 40 minute waits on busier days, yet as an enormous throughput.

There's no evidence that the ride is unpopular even if some folk find it painfully rough.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

I think the removal of Euro-Mir to be replaced with another perfectly polished, heavily themed ride will probably be what happens.

Then people will whinge that the queueline is tedious and the ride bland.

Euro-Mir commands 40 minute waits on busier days, yet as an enormous throughput.

There's no evidence that the ride is unpopular even if some folk find it painfully rough.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

I suppose that assumes they do nothing with the queue line (though the queue would be a tough nut to crack as it’s hemmed in they managed with Eurosat that had the same issue).

Unlike Eurosat where the building limited the flexibility with the track design Euromir doesn’t have this issue, we know Mack have perfected their spinning coaster design and the layout of Euromir is already intense even without the terrible profiling. I think the ability to create greatness is far higher with Mir than with Sat.

The biggest issue is the optics of a refurb that forms part of a central marketing campaign that revolves around Russia isn’t exactly great at the moment.

As for current popularity, Infusion at pleasure beach gets a queue without 40,000+ park attendees and that’s a diabolical ride. A 40 minute queue at EP for a 1300 per hour capacity rollercoaster is not an overly ringing endorsement.

Well Silver Star barely ever gets 45 minute queues. What is the point here? Europa-Park is hardly a a queue-length hell.

They will re-work Euro-Mir, of course they will, but not because a few folk think it's a bit painful on their knees. The ride was built by Franz Mack - this will give it a level of protection against being bulldozed - even if a loud minority want it to be.

I’d say a 40 minute queue is a pretty good sign of fair popularity in EP of all places; during my April 2022 trip, I can only think of one or two waits that even hit 40 minutes, let alone exceeded it by any notable amount!

Euro-Mir has an insane throughput for something with trains that size (I timed it at 1,333pph, which I’d personally deem to be truly insane for a ride with 16-rider trains and no dual station or similar capacity-enhancing stuff!), and even putting aside train length, I think 1,300pph is a brilliant throughput by just about any measure!

I didn't like Euro-Mir at all and neither did my parents, but we’re clearly in somewhat of a minority; there are many comments, including a fair few in this very thread, singing EM’s praises and declaring how brilliant it is, and that’s even before you go outside of enthusiast circles, so the ride clearly maintains a certain degree of popularity.