• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Alton Towers/Merlin Typos & Grammatical Errors

'The Smiler is the world’s first 14 loop rollercoaster. It’s (Its not It's)twisting track combines the world beating 14 loops with a speed of 85 km/hr and a track length 3x longer than Oblivion! This will challenge your body and mind(no full stop)'
Hmmm...the "twisting track"...possessive, belonging to the ride, so the apostrophe is good isn't it?
Long time since my o level english.
And don't forget, some younger people apparently find full stops aggressive, so maybe they are just trying to keep the peace.

Hmmm...the "twisting track"...possessive, belonging to the ride, so the apostrophe is good isn't it?
And don't forget, some younger people apparently find full stops aggressive, so maybe they are just trying to keep the peace.
It’s is short for “it is”, so the possessive form of its (as used there) doesn’t have an apostrophe.

Otherwise, that sentence effectively means “It is twisting track combines the world-beating 14 loops with a speed of 85km/hr and a track length 3x longer than Oblivion!”, which doesn’t make grammatical sense.
That page couldn't even get the theme of Nemesis right so I wouldn't expect high quality grammar as well.
Surely the park themselves are the most trustworthy source for determining what the theme of Nemesis is, seeing as it’s their ride?

It should be Its not It's because 'It's twisting track' means 'It is twisting track'.
Edit: @Matt N got there first.

That would be the abbreviative apostrophe though, not the possessive.
"The dog's bollocks" is correct, and that isn't short for "the dog is bollocks", is it?
"It's twisting track" infers the twisting track that belongs to the ride, so that is right in my eyes.
Could someone with an english language or teaching degree referee this one, I have just looked up the general rules for possessive apostrophes on wikipedia, and now my eyes hurt.
Thats eyes, not eye's though.

"The dog's bollocks" is correct, and that isn't short for "the dog is bollocks", is it?
"It's twisting track" infers the twisting track that belongs to the ride, so that is right in my eyes.
Could someone with an english language or teaching degree referee this one, I have just looked up the general rules for possessive apostrophes on wikipedia, and now my eyes hurt.

I think @AstroDan has a degree in English. What you have said Rob, does make sense. However, in the case of 'its/it's', I think it might ALWAYS be 'its' unless you're pretty much only wanting to shorten 'it is', whereby it would be 'it's. Or something...

In that context, though, “dog’s” is a possessive noun, which has an apostrophe. “Dog” is a noun, so “dog’s” could be used to describe one of its attributes.

I believe “it” is a pronoun rather than a noun, so its goes by different rules. The rules of “it” go by the same rules as he/she/we etc rather than the rules of nouns, so in this context, using “It’s twisted track” would be like saying “He’s kind personality” rather than “His kind personality”.

If the park said “The ride’s” or “The Smiler’s” rather than “it’s”, the sentence would be correct because “the ride” and “The Smiler” could both be construed as nouns (or more specifically noun phrases).

The English language is very confusing…

Surely the park themselves are the most trustworthy source for determining what the theme of Nemesis is, seeing as it’s their ride?

I'm unsure what you're implying here? I don't think they're lying if that's what you mean because it's ultimately fiction. They own it so yeah of course they're free to change it to a fairy princess theme if they like.

I'm unsure what you're implying here? I don't think they're lying if that's what you mean because it's ultimately fiction. They own it so yeah of course they're free to change it to a fairy princess theme if they like.
I was only confused because you said that “they couldn’t even get the theme of Nemesis right”, inferring that you thought they were “wrong” about the Nemesis theme on their website.

My thought was that surely if anyone knows what the “correct” theme of Nemesis is, it’s Alton Towers?
Now we have cleared that up, now can somebody tell me why full stops can be seen as aggressive.
They are not...
Full stop
I’ve never heard that one before… I just think of full stops as punctuation.

Text speak related, I understand.
No punctuation in text messages usually, so a full stop can appear negative or aggressive if it is used?
Daily Fail immediately took the "snowflake" (word of the week 2019) angle, no suprise!

Text speak related, I understand.
No punctuation in text messages usually, so a full stop can appear negative or aggressive if it is used?
Daily Fail immediately took the "snowflake" (word of the week 2019) angle, no suprise!
Oh dear… that would mean that I’ve inadvertently been sending aggressive texts ever since I first started texting…

I always send my texts fully punctuated, with semi-colons, full stops, exclamation marks, correct capitalisation and all!

Text speak just feels unnatural to me, for some reason.

Oh dear… that would mean that I’ve inadvertently been sending aggressive texts ever since I first started texting…

I always send my texts fully punctuated, with semi-colons, full stops, exclamation marks, correct capitalisation and all!

Text speak just feels unnatural to me, for some reason.
I agree, I always send everything fully punctuated as well. Text speak just seems a bit stupid, how hard is it to write 'great' instead of 'gr8' etc?

I was only confused because you said that “they couldn’t even get the theme of Nemesis right”, inferring that you thought they were “wrong” about the Nemesis theme on their website.

My thought was that surely if anyone knows what the “correct” theme of Nemesis is, it’s Alton Towers?

Oh I see. Well they did get it wrong, the track was the monster and it always was and they changed it. In the context of this thread whether that was done purposely or was a mistake is something I'll let others decide. The first time I read it, it always seemed like a mistake to me.