Alton Towers/Merlin Typos & Grammatical Errors

Matt N

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
Sorry to bump, but it appears we have another entry for this thread… Alton Towers recently advertised their pirate takeover for FHT on Facebook and said that there would be “sea chanteys aplenty”.

They got reprimanded a few times in the comments, with many saying that the actual spelling is sea shanties…
 

NuttySquirrel

TS Member
Sorry to bump, but it appears we have another entry for this thread… Alton Towers recently advertised their pirate takeover for FHT on Facebook and said that there would be “sea chanteys aplenty”.

They got reprimanded a few times in the comments, with many saying that the actual spelling is sea shanties…

Sorry Matt, but that's actually a legitimate spelling. It's given as an alternative spelling on Wikipedia:

A sea shanty, chantey, or chanty is a genre of traditional folk song that was once commonly sung as a work song to accompany rhythmical labor aboard large merchant sailing vessels.

It's likely an archaic spelling - "shanty" is certainly the more common spelling in modern English. If you can indulge me to be really boring, the Oxford dictionary describes the word as originating from French:

Mid 19th century probably from French chantez! ‘sing!’

Obviously Merlin's marketing team is cleverer than we all thought...
 

Matt N

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
Sorry Matt, but that's actually a legitimate spelling. It's given as an alternative spelling on Wikipedia:

A sea shanty, chantey, or chanty is a genre of traditional folk song that was once commonly sung as a work song to accompany rhythmical labor aboard large merchant sailing vessels.

It's likely an archaic spelling - "shanty" is certainly the more common spelling in modern English. If you can indulge me to be really boring, the Oxford dictionary describes the word as originating from French:

Mid 19th century probably from French chantez! ‘sing!’

Obviously Merlin's marketing team is cleverer than we all thought...
Ah, fair enough; I was mainly going off of people’s comments on Facebook, which seemed to suggest it wasn’t!
 

Rick

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Crux
It could be a merge issue but given their IT woes over the years, it wouldn't completely surprise me if it worked fine but the field was blank.

They have done so many messy migrations. It's not all that long since you completed your details on a paper form and they were manually transposed to a database, stored only at the attraction where your pass was printed.
 

kydog1299

TS Member
Clearly didn't do a test send otherwise they'd have picked up on the missing first name value.

Could be, but can also be a result of data holes. First name values and most personalisation is pulled through dynamically. If there are any data gaps within the databases this information won’t pull through. E.g if 90% of people have a first name attached to their record in the database, this info will successfully pull through for those people. If the remaining 10% don’t, then it won’t pull that info through into an email, SMS or push notification.

It can be challenging to test anything dynamic, as it pulls through differently for each individual person to personalise the experience. Usually this means there’s some issues. Could be an error though, if so it’s a pretty big one!
One thing that does surprise me is that Merlin haven’t invested in copywriters to minimise the spelling issues. You’d obviously need a few to cover all ground but that’s a good way to leave spelling and grammatical stuff in the hands of the experts to approve.
 

Alsty

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Shambhala
I use different email addresses for every company I deal with (it helps with spam and fraud). This email came to an email address I used for The Cloud rather than the one for Merlin Annual Pass. Presumably signing into the online wi-fi at one of the resorts was enough to get you onto this mailing list.
 

Matt N

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
on the height restrictions for spinball Screenshot_20220313-164448.jpg
I noticed that... going off of that, the bulk of adults wouldn't be allowed on unaccompanied, as 1.95m is about 6'5", a height that not too many people reach... it's about 7.5", or 18cm, taller than me, so that would rule me out of riding Spinball unaccompanied!
 
SpinJam’s restriction board…

1. Whilst on the ride please follow the instructions of the ride ride host.
2. You must be able to grip or exert pressure pressure with 3 limbs.

It’s on all restrictions boards for the ride

f700c2b9fa20696a2bf5b5cfa8a33b2d.jpg
 
Top