• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Alton Towers/Merlin Typos & Grammatical Errors

I wouldn't say that it has crept in, it's been an ongoing issue for as long as I can remember now. Just a simple case of no-one checking material before it is sent off to be printed/produced.
I know that it's not officially the printer's job to check for errors but you would think that with the amount of work Towers sends to Leek Signs (presumably they printed these) that there'd be some sort of relationship between the contact at Towers and the Leek contact by now so they'd phone up and say "You know this doesn't make sense?" or "you know there's a typo?". Does seem strange.

You can't even say there's a subtle error with that one!

I know that it's not officially the printer's job to check for errors but you would think that with the amount of work Towers sends to Leek Signs (presumably they printed these) that there'd be some sort of relationship between the contact at Towers and the Leek contact by now so they'd phone up and say "You know this doesn't make sense?" or "you know there's a typo?". Does seem strange.

To be fair Leek Signs produce so much I doubt they ever read or look properly at what they are printing.

Even if they do notice, keep quiet and they get paid again to produce a new piece! £££

Just seen on the Merlin Careers site that they are after a new Graffik Diziyner.

On a serious note though, this is basic grammar. The app is littered with grammatical mistakes as well. Some of the ride descriptions are appalling.

I know in the past on Facebook when people have pointed out errors on Leek Signs Facebook posts they have often replied with “we only print what we are given” as I imagine most of the time Leek Signs don’t even design the graphics or anything, so just print them. Of course they probably then get paid more when they have to reprint the sign, or make a sticker to stick over the mistake.

Last edited:
You pay a sign writer to print it. Not to proofread (unless of course they’re offering you a design service).

If you need any further convincing, take a stroll down the prom in any seaside town and see how many different spellings of “accommodation” you can spot.

So when you go on the park's accessibility guide, you expect all the information to be correct, right?
1649869555055.png
I would love to know not only who has a 48cm waist but where this nonsense minimum age restriction has come from!
Heck, all of the main rides have incorrect chest restrictions

So when you go on the park's accessibility guide, you expect all the information to be correct, right?
1649869555055.png
I would love to know not only who has a 48cm waist but where this nonsense minimum age restriction has come from!
Heck, all of the main rides have incorrect chest restrictions
I suggested some changes last year and they said they'd do those but, months later, they're still not active lol

You pay a sign writer to print it. Not to proofread (unless of course they’re offering you a design service).

If you need any further convincing, take a stroll down the prom in any seaside town and see how many different spellings of “accommodation” you can spot.
I totally get that printers are not ordinarily paid to proof-read, and that does lead to some amusing mistakes (a hand car wash near me is "open 7 day's") but if the jobs pass through say, an account manager or other person who's got to know the contact at Towers because of how long they've been printing for them, I'd have thought there would be a sort relationship by now that allows them to say they've made a typo etc considering Towers' and their past history of mistakes?

If I was running a sign manufacturing shop then although I wouldn't accept liability for errors in the designs given to me, I'd still flag up obvious errors if I saw them. It's just good service. To just make it is poor.

That doesn't detract from the fact that there are presumably a few people involved at Alton Towers in specifying the text and signing it off who really should show more diligence. Even writing it in Word or similar software first would find most of these problems.