• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Alton Towers/Merlin Typos & Grammatical Errors

I just find it odd that someone’s gone to so much effort to photoshop rides from Towers in to Thorpe frames, when Picsolve must have 100s oh their own pics to use. My guess is someone at Picsolve who works near towers have had to make it and for some reason didn’t have access to thorpes pics.
At a guess, the original photoshop images might have been produced before the ride opened for the first time, to enable picsolve to have something to put on the posters. But then later on they are still using them.
Or picsolve are just idiots who can’t be bothered to get the rights to photos on all rides so just recycle the one block who allowed his pic to be used when at AT for a photoshoot.

I’ve found another one in the latest Rollercoaster Restaurant menu (https://www.altontowers.com/media/x2glrudv/online-menu-2022-no-allergy.pdf):
Biscoff Cheesecake
Caramel cheesecake with a lotus biscoff base, served with white chocolate oce cream.
630Kcal
I’m assuming they meant ice cream instead of oce cream there…

Also, shouldn’t mozambican in some of the starter descriptions be capitalised, assuming that they mean Mozambican to mean that it comes from Mozambique? I’ll admit that one is possibly a bit pedantic of me, though, so probably not relevant to this thread…

I’ve found another one in the latest Rollercoaster Restaurant menu (https://www.altontowers.com/media/x2glrudv/online-menu-2022-no-allergy.pdf):

I’m assuming they meant ice cream instead of oce cream there…

Also, shouldn’t mozambican in some of the starter descriptions be capitalised, assuming that they mean Mozambican to mean that it comes from Mozambique? I’ll admit that one is possibly a bit pedantic of me, though, so probably not relevant to this thread…

No, you're right. As registered trade mark names the words Lotus and Biscoff should also be capitalised.

No, you're right. As registered trade mark names the words Lotus and Biscoff should also be capitalised.
I was thinking that as well, actually; it did occur to me that Lotus Biscoff might usually be capitalised, but I didn’t want to say anything about it for fear of coming across overly pedantic or not recognising some sort of food terminology.

I wondered if Biscoff was simply so widely adopted now that it had become its own adjective instead of a trademark/brand name (kind of like the term hoover to describe vacuum cleaners).

I was thinking that as well, actually; it did occur to me that Lotus Biscoff might usually be capitalised, but I didn’t want to say anything about it for fear of coming across overly pedantic or not recognising some sort of food terminology.

I wondered if Biscoff was simply so widely adopted now that it had become its own adjective instead of a trademark/brand name (kind of like the term hoover to describe vacuum cleaners).

Well technically Hoover should still be capitalised if that name was trademarked as such. Much in the same way as if certain brand names are specifically not capitalised. Lotus Biscoff is a brand name and that menu is referring to that specific brand rather than a Biscoff type food in general.

Hoover is slang for a vacuum cleaner like Sellotape is for sticky tape which I'm sure neither brand owners mind. But if Towers were selling a vacuum cleaner, I doubt very much they'd call it a Hoover just to describe the type of appliance it is.

I'm told that in Australia, if you ask for some Durex they'd hand you a roll of sticky tape as opposed to a condom.

They don't have one. Clearly. No one bothers getting anything proofread these days, not even publishing houses.
Er, my oldest customers daughter is a professional full time independent proofreader...shockingly underpaid, but it is all she has ever done.
Admittedly she only went alone after her publishing house reduced wages further.
Running things through a spelling and grammar checker is quick and free however!

In fairness, I guess it’s hard to find little errors like this when first reading your work. I do empathise with Towers in that regard; it often takes me a few proof-reads to find all the issues in something I’ve written.

It’s a good thing Towers’ sign writers don’t work in a field like coding, however… in coding, an ability to detect syntax errors is a must for you to have any kind of working program, and even something as minute as a missing colon or bracket can derail your entire program. That’s something that I recently discovered the hard way after spending hours faffing about with a PHP program to discover that it was one missing quotation mark in my SQL query causing the error…

Er, my oldest customers daughter is a professional full time independent proofreader...shockingly underpaid, but it is all she has ever done.
Admittedly she only went alone after her publishing house reduced wages further.
Running things through a spelling and grammar checker is quick and free however!
It was my profession as well for five years. In academic publishing especially, publishers will usually pay (around minimum wage) for copyediting, but once the book is typeset, no proofreading takes place at all. This means any errors missed by the copyeditor or introduced during typesetting end up in the final book. Publishers seem to see this as an acceptable consequence of cost reduction.

It’s not beyond the realms of reason to expect a content writer to be able to spell and know when apostrophes are needed. Perhaps a P45 and a new job announcement is required.
In my experience, no one from any marketing department could find any errors in their own writing that were obvious to everyone else who looked at it.