• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Alton Towers/Merlin Typos & Grammatical Errors

Someone in another thread was pleased that the new "Property Repossessed. Strictly not unwanted guests. Due to unnatural displays in the area" sign had no spelling mistakes or grammatical errors, but (correct me if I'm wrong) I'm pretty sure "Due to unnatural displays in the area" is an unfinished sentence. There should be a comma between that and the prior sentence. It's like saying "Because of unnatural displays in the area". Because of unnatural displays in the area WHAT?

Someone in another thread was pleased that the new "Property Repossessed. Strictly not unwanted guests. Due to unnatural displays in the area" sign had no spelling mistakes or grammatical errors, but (correct me if I'm wrong) I'm pretty sure "Due to unnatural displays in the area" is an unfinished sentence. There should be a comma between that and the prior sentence. It's like saying "Because of unnatural displays in the area". Because of unnatural displays in the area WHAT?
I agree. I think I pointed this exact thing out in that thread also. I said: "Not so sure about the flow of it to be honest. Didn't like the way the sentence starting with "Due" followed the previous sentence. Doesn't really flow properly. It should have been something like: 'This is due to...'."

Last edited:
Yeah that was me whoops. It annoys me more every time I see it on socials now, as I realise it should be one sentence

Not a grammatical error, but why would "Alton Towers" send me this?

It was sent to me on Thursday, when I was actually at AT and not Chessington.

b226be05df01da2d91529283acdf8384.jpg

Not a grammatical error, but why would "Alton Towers" send me this?

It was sent to me on Thursday, when I was actually at AT and not Chessington.

b226be05df01da2d91529283acdf8384.jpg
Because their internal systems suck?

I work in systems development and it's quite apparent looking in even from the outside that Merlin systems are an utter mess. Their passholder booking system is a prime example of just how poorly integrated everything is. The a**e doesn't talk to the elbow.

I work in systems development and it's quite apparent looking in even from the outside that Merlin systems are an utter mess. Their passholder booking system is a prime example of just how poorly integrated everything is. The a**e doesn't talk to the elbow.
I you've got a point here, the student ticket booking system is a mess too, why you can't book them from the main booking page is really odd. I know the booking system bits are provided by Accesso, but the rest of Merlin's IT is even more of a mess, I mean look at the CCTV problems.

I you've got a point here, the student ticket booking system is a mess too, why you can't book them from the main booking page is really odd. I know the booking system bits are provided by Accesso, but the rest of Merlin's IT is even more of a mess, I mean look at the CCTV problems.
It's all a bit of a farce, every time I have to do passholder pre-book I have to key in a 16,000-digit passcode into the system before it even shows available dates. Then you have to put all your personal details in when you check out as if it wasn't possible to get them from your pass number. Oh and if I want to add Friends and Family tickets I have to do that separately (meaning I recently had to book a 3pm slot for myself and a 3.15 slot for my husband for a sealife centre - which they didn't even bother to check!).

Notice there's a testimonial from LLW Windsor saying they've worked with Accesso for over 10 years. That's a long time in systems development and I'd be surprised if there have been any major upgrades in that time period.

Last edited:
Notice there's a testimonial from LLW Windsor saying they've worked with Accesso for over 10 years. That's a long time in systems development and I'd be surprised if there have been any major upgrades in that time period.

More likely that Accesso have cornered the market in cloud based multisite attraction ticketing, bookings and membership systems, and this far down the road it’d be a ridiculously huge undertaking to switch to another provider or develop and maintain an in-house system. Particularly when for the best part it does it’s main job just fine.

Though I feel I must move the conversation back to grammar and typos - as the ticketing system could be a whole thread in itself 😂

Chessington really has gone downhill.

Still I guess that Scorpion Express removal rumours are happening.

You say that. My 2 year old now wants to visit Chessington, previously she didn’t even know it existed. IP return on investment in action.

From my hotel reservation - does anybody else find the Upper Casing Of Every Word Really Annoying?

1663102073190.png
That's appalling. They've not even applied title case correctly by omitting articles, prepositions etc. Total mess.

Tbf they're not the only ones, I don't have a picture but the queue line signage for Bobsleigh at Oakwood is even worse, just a random mix of capped and lowercase words.

The text looks poor as well, awful font choice.