• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Alton Towers Social Media

The most jarring thing for me is the blatantly casual text with imperfect SPAG (fine if that’s what you’re going for, it’s how people message these days) but then chucking in “Alton Towers Resort” as though they’re still going for a really corporate stance. No one calls it that in general conversation!

Who going Towers, innit?

Maybe I am just old, but the amount of these posts is excessive. I follow Towers on all socials but I am on the verge of unfollowing, particularly on Facebook, as I dont need to see these crap videos clogging up my feed multiple times a day. If its having that effect on me as a thoosie it would be interesting to see the GP reaction.

Edit, sorry posted in wrong topic somehow. Please move to social media.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
As I’m not really up with social media trends, I showed some of these to my sister to see what she thought given that the forum has been up in arms about it.

She has recently completed a degree with a heavy component of social media marketing and done various work placements involving social media marketing, so I figured that she was probably on board with current social media marketing trends.

She said the first tweet was “just plain weird”.

She said that the memes were “fine”. She said “They’re a bit weird, but social media marketing is a bit weird these days. As much as the forumers may not like it, this is the sort of thing that engages young people in this day and age”.

She said that the text-to-speech video was “not a bad idea, but very poorly executed”. She thought that the random integration of slang felt “clunky”, and that the different voices overlapping “just [felt] lazy given that you can easily edit to not make that happen”.

Personally, I find it all a bit strange, but as I say, I’m not really on board with current social media trends at all, so I thought I’d show the material to my sister, someone far more on board with current trends in social media marketing, and see what she thought. I found it interesting hearing her opinions.
Funnily enough, I showed them to my brother who is a social media manager for a university. He said very similar to your sister. So it’s possibly just us on the forum who don’t like it, and the outside world will be loving it!

If you're a random person scrolling on tik tok, who doesn't know anything about Alton Towers and saw some of their new videos, you would just skip past it, as most don't show any of the park. You would just think it's some cheap attraction. The most viewed and liked of the recent videos is the one where it shows some of the park. But their videos from before, all show the coasters and the park, leading to people scrolling past stopping to watch it, and like, and probably want to find out more. The new videos will not get as many likes and views as the previous ones.

Imagine having free reign to go wherever you want in the park and use a drone etc at will and then putting out generic rubbish to ATTEMPT to appeal to 11 year old girls with the latest trendy meme type stuff and not even pulling it off effectively.

I stopped understanding social media after Facebook. I don't get Twitter and only hear bad things about it. One of the platforms I've heard is about pictures that delete themselves after 10 seconds and I can't think of a single situation in life in which I would find something like that at all useful! Anyone care to explain?

Anyway, point is, maybe all this wierd stuff is so cringworthy to us because we're not the target audience? Maybe it's a stroke of genius and the cool kids are topping up their fake tans and "like well literally innit bruh" flocking to Towers right now having been "influenced"? This might as well be in a different language to me. If you want people my age to visit, a good high quality TV ad is probably the better way to reach us. I'm sure someone reading through the hearing aid and Stanna Stair lift print ads at the back of the Daily Mail over their cornflakes this morning is more likely to visit if there was a traditional styled AT and among them. I don't think many of us are supposed to understand this stuff. If it drives visitors in, then good on 'em.

I stopped understanding social media after Facebook. I don't get Twitter and only hear bad things about it. One of the platforms I've heard is about pictures that delete themselves after 10 seconds and I can't think of a single situation in life in which I would find something like that at all useful! Anyone care to explain?

Anyway, point is, maybe all this wierd stuff is so cringworthy to us because we're not the target audience? Maybe it's a stroke of genius and the cool kids are topping up their fake tans and "like well literally innit bruh" flocking to Towers right now having been "influenced"? This might as well be in a different language to me. If you want people my age to visit, a good high quality TV ad is probably the better way to reach us. I'm sure someone reading through the hearing aid and Stanna Stair lift print ads at the back of the Daily Mail over their cornflakes this morning is more likely to visit if there was a traditional styled AT and among them. I don't think many of us are supposed to understand this stuff. If it drives visitors in, then good on 'em.
They need to advertise on the Talking Pictures TV channel in-between the funeral plan & cremation ads, the e-Foldi mobility scooters ads and the Stilltz Home Lifts ads to reach some of us!! (and I include myself in this group because I watch that channel and it can show some decent old stuff!)

Twitter?
What is this twitter you complete tweet...
Do You Mean X?

From: https://www.facebook.com/reel/3561590507421413?s=yWDuG2&fs=e

Whilst I'm fine with the title, because of course you are never too old for the Runaway Mine Train, it would make sense to show people on the Runaway Mine Train.

The video seems to have been removed but I did manage to see it before it was removed.

I think this type of content works well on platforms like TikTok or Instagram Reels but really doesn’t work well at all when it comes up on a Facebook feed.

I think most of the content is OK. Having a quick browse on the Facebook page, there's a mix of memes with serious posts. Reading this thread, I was expecting only memes on Alton Towers Facebook page! Maybe they could stagnant it a little, a meme a week?

The video posts are better suited to Tik Tok and don't suit Facebook. Perhaps they need to concentrate on tailoring media for each platform individually.

I would like to see some BTS content on social media. I think they are missing an opportunity there.

The change in tone has given me significant whiplash. From super infrequent, ridiculously corporate posts to massively outdated and cringeworthy constant posts seemingly overnight was an... interesting tactic to say the least. They've gone from one extreme to the other.

Their old social media tone was less than ideal, but this tone is even worse. They need to find a balance somewhere in the middle desperately.

If they really wanted to commit to this idea, the transition needed to have been introduced slowly - this is way too much way too soon.