• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Alton Towers Social Media

Don't forget Alton's track record on marketing / social media is not particularly good...!

Back in the Ralph Armond era we had www.ihatework.co.uk - a domain they registered & loaded with content to suggest you phone in sick at work to go to Towers instead.
Then we had the infamous Mr "It's better than nothing" on social media a few years ago.

Not necessarily directly about the social media post itself - but more towards the brand and branding - noticed they’ve started using this typeface in a lot of their recent promotional material, almost a slightly more toned down version of Mother Hen

From: https://www.facebook.com/100064790227894/posts/pfbid0ZWbi8qwgGMngGsWpwYR659bSJVWRazRX7r4nyFCDpykbhzv7BTtd5p9JyuBghuXTl/?app=fbl

I actually prefer this new font, it's easier to read and clearer. It's not a massive change but overall I think this is perhaps the only thing they're doing right in the social media and marketing department at the moment. I mean all these cringy video's make no sense but at least they're using a better font....

Then we had the infamous Mr "It's better than nothing" on social media a few years ago.
This won't have been marketing, though. This will have been the guest experience team who respond to this, and also cover the Trip Advisor reviews, if memory serves correctly. Responses (or at least the lack of these days) aren't attributed to marketing.

There ought to be a blanket tone of voice rolled out across all the marketing comms and guest experience responses - something fun and fizzy but doesn't cheapen or damage the overall brand.

The biggest issue I see with this marketing, is they now tweet and post loads. Yet they still seem to have no one actually responding to general comments or questions on social media. Which if anything all these posts make it seem worse.

“They have time to post a meme but not answer my question” is what members of the public will think. What makes it worse is they often will respond to some people interacting with the meme but not to general questions or complaints. I’m guessing because it’s marketing and guest services who do this and are two separate teams.s

One of the most bizarre posts I’ve ever seen from a UK park. I get that it’s a meme but surely there’s got to a better way of engaging than stuff like this.

https://twitter.com/altontowers/status/1689924402115158017?s=46&t=ZU30ls1ozCOoaB_QLf2GCQ

e2c12b2e7ef5d87cea49558779e24c02.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The text to speech voices and cringey attempts at slang are back.

From: https://www.facebook.com/reel/1679490122475928?s=yWDuG2&fs=e

I actually don't recognise half of the slang this time, what does skr mean?

I've no idea either, the Urban Dictionary has a few meanings with this one probably the one (but can't see the video so don't know the context):
Common reaction to when someone suggests something completely ludicrous and ridiculous that is generally a bad idea. Loosely an alternative to a facepalm.

Originated and popularly used amongst the youth of South London, like its brother, nao.
A: "I'm gonna ask her out."
B: "Skr; you can't even talk to your sister without fainting, fam, and she is well clapped." <--- I hope that's not rude!

A: "Let's invite Jordan to Croydon..."
B: "Skr; he's like bare awkward."

A: "Safe, can you wait one minute for me?"
B: "Skr; that's sooo long doe!"
@Craig could you put pinned message at the beginning of this thread with a link to the urban dictionary so anyone older than 16 can have a chance at understanding some of these posts Towers are making?! 🤣 🤣