American Adventure Park

Discussion in 'European Parks and Attractions' started by BigT, 26th Jan 2015.

1. Sam

Sam TowersStreet Member

Matt N, Mattmash, Jonathan and 5 others like this.
    Posted 9th Jan 2018
  2. OilyWater

OilyWater TowersStreet Member

Lol, very true.
    As far as I understand it, American Adventure was always a flawed site for a big theme park and could only serve a certain regional audience, which was never going to fully support its long term future, plus a spate of mismanagement. It was good while it lasted but wasn't going to last, a product of a time when it was less costly to build theme parks and people were more ready to get out to have some casual fun, without needing to blow your socks off.

I never went but looked like it had some fun to offer. The petition is embarassing and probably rose-tinted, but at least nice that people care. Hopefully no more regional UK parks go the same way, because we're never going to get any new ones pop up now.

3. BritishThemeParkArchive

BritishThemeParkArchive TowersStreet Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ParkBoi and Sauron97 like this.
  4. Towerslover

Towerslover TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Icon
  5. Rob

Rob TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    That chap who started the petition won't give up hope will he? He thinks that it is not safe to build houses around a lake, deary me! Don't let anyone tell him that some houses are built on the coast by the sea!

:)

Matt N, MaxPower, Towerslover and 5 others like this.
  6. Brad97

Brad97 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Montu
    But it's perfectly OK to build a theme park next to a lake, of course.

Matt N, MaxPower, John_P and 2 others like this.
  7. Lordy

Lordy TowersStreet Member

I didn't even realise just how much of a short life span the American Adventure had, opening in just 1985. It wasn't even 20 years old before all the trouble kicked in. It's sad that it became so big and just suddenly failed in such a short amount of time.

And with regards to this petition, his persistence is admirable, but it's hardly reopening the "American Adventure", it's just countryside now.

8. Dar

Dar TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Taron
    I love that he's so pumped at getting 11,000 signatures, not realising that that's one busy day's worth of punters! What's his plan for the other 100-odd days of opening? Or is his expecting all these people to go everyday?

DiogoJ42 likes this.
  9. OilyWater

OilyWater TowersStreet Member

God this guy is embarassing. Fair enough if he really wanted to do some petition but now that he's got a comprehensive, well reasoned explanation from the reps, he replies "It's what the public wants". Uhhh

Last edited: 22nd Jan 2018
    Matt N, skyscraper, Ted and 1 other person like this.
  10. WillPS

WillPS TowersStreet Member

I don't think he gets how it all works.

skyscraper likes this.
  11. Sam

Sam TowersStreet Member

Unfortunately for Declan Salmon it looks like capitalism is at it again. :pensive:

Plastic Person likes this.
  12. Plastic Person

Plastic Person TowersStreet Member

Frankly, if there's no place in Derbyshire for a leisure park themed partly around the erasure of indigenous people, then I'm not sure it's a county I even want to buy a new-build home in!

13. Rick

Rick TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Crux
    If someone was writing a sitcom about this exact type of thing I am pretty sure ‘Declan Salmon’ would be in the running for a character’s name. Astonishing.

Plus, it goes without saying, but the park only existed in the first place because of nasty evil capitalism.

14. Martin

Martin TowersStreet Member

If anything it was because of the protestants, up to no good as usual...

Jb85, Rick and Jonathan like this.
  15. WillPS

There's no reason (other than NIMBYs) why it couldn't have been a lot more than regional park. It's a huge, picturesque (but not of any real heritage value) site smack between two junctions on the M1.

With the right vision, it could have been fantastic. In fact, with the right vision it *was* briefly fantastic. John Rigby's original American Adventure was a high quality attraction. Unfortunately everything that was added after 1988 was, at best, lazily themed. As Alton Towers upped their game massively in the 90s, American Adventure added half-baked attractions, often using Granada's collection of ITV IPs which although popular didn't fit in at all. The attractions themselves were underwhelming (except Nightmare Niagara).

Under Ventureworld the game very quickly changed from investing loads and making a premier attraction to investing almost nothing and extracting as much revenue as possible.

OilyWater likes this.
  16. Rick

Rick TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Crux
    @WillPS Do you think that would be the case alongside Alton & Drayton? I had some great days there, but I really don't think the market could support three large parks.

I'd be a little torn between Drayton and AA on most fronts. It'd have been interesting to see what Six Flags might have done in Ilkeston during their largely unsuccessful European experiment, but alas it was never to be.

OilyWater and Matt N like this.
  17. Spark

Spark TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    It seems to be a similar story now at AT with the profit being sucked out, admittedly they are still investing when Ventureworld stopped.

If only that Woodie had been built :)

18. WillPS

With an equal level of investment, I expect American Adventure could have been more successful than either park. I don't buy that the market is too small to support all 3 though. The Midlands is massive (total population 10+ million), and the American Adventure would have been an easier journey for people in the North East than Blackpool, Drayton Manor and Alton Towers.

It's easy to say as a small park it was always doomed but it was only a small park because it was never fully developed. The park used the infrastructure put in place by Britannia Park and extended around the lake to Fort St. Laurence and Space Port/Trading Post. The park stopped growing physically after 1989 - but they had a huge plot of land allocated to them on a hill behind Fort St. Laurence. The whole top end of the park comprising the proper entrance and Pioneer Playland/Aztek Kingdom was always under utilised. The 'Pavillions' building itself was half the size Britannia Park had originally intended.

The park was never subjected to height and noise restrictions, and in any case lay in a natural basin so had some room to play with.

It's all academic of course, but if you're looking at the potential of the site itself, American Adventure could have been something awesome.

19. Rob

Rob TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    Mr Salmon is not giving up. He has started a Crowdfunding page, aiming to raise £1 million to get American Advnture open again. Mr Salmon is so keen for it to happen that he has put a huge £10 in himself; a further £2 has since been donated.

So £12 raised in just one week. It's time to get excited about another theme park in the UK!

:)

20. Brad97

Brad97 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Montu
    Only £999,988 to go. It's looking more likely every day! :cool: