• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Anything Radioactive Topic

... In other news, if any of you live in the north Wales area, looks like there's a production of When The Wind Blows in Wrexham this Feb.

I have to look into that. Wrexham is only 18 miles up the road from me.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Thank you Diogo, not for the being in the danger zone but for the heads up on the show.

Just bought tickets for Tuesday night :D

The show was great. Had a lot of charm and humour which undercuts the tension for the most part. I'm sure the older of the audience got a lot more of the references than my mate and I did, but would fully recommend it to anyone in the area.

Slightly off topic but also a slight return the favour, have you checked out Eugenius Diogo? It's Warwick davies produced musical,apparently it's a bit of an 80's-athon. Its got ok to solid reviews :)

Anyway back on topic, Plutonium yada yada yada.

Last edited:
If my visits to any of these pro "simulator" places has taught me anything, it's that as a sim buff yourself, you'll likely come away disappointed because your home brew cockpit will probably be better even if it doesn't have the full 6dof motion rig.

But if they don't have a simulated nuclear kersplosion I will be very dissapointed.

Anti flash windows covers are used when dropping a weapon of that type. So no visisual, however simulation of blast wave may be included.

Shuddup Delta, don't go ruining my dream with boring facts I already knew! There could still be a 10KW HMI lamp pointed at the cockpit to provide a bit of light leak round the edges of the blinds.
... I wonder if they provide an eyepatch, or should I bring my own?

And I know what you mean Ian. I had a sesh in a 737 sim in Westfield years ago. It was a home made job, running on FSX- something I could have built myself. The "instructor" couldn't understand why I wanted to do full start up and taxi etc, rather than just sit there and play. I think I may actually have known more than he did!

But this is run by the guys who preserve XH558, so I expect a certain leven of quality, even if it's not a full motion platform.

Oh my god. Two hours in a flight sim for only £300.

Oh yeah, did I mention it's VULCAN simulator‽‽‽

http://www.vulcantotheskystore.co.uk/vulcan-flight-simulator-experience-3605-p.asp

Goes without saying I'm going to have to investigate this. I like the sound of the "high level bombing run" mission. But if they don't have a simulated nuclear kersplosion I will be very dissapointed.
If you can see the exterior in the simulator, make sure it's got the anti-flash white colour. When I first heard that was to reflect thermal radiation, I thought, jheez, this plane has got some badassery to it :)
Just to let you know if you're a fan of XH558, a lot of people are angry at the charity that you posted a link to for not taking her to Bruntingthorpe and leaving her outside exposed to the elements at Robin Hood airport. She's still doing taxi runs and everything, but some people don't want to pay for anything the charity offers as they feel they've made the wrong decisions after she stopped flying. I'm not sure how to feel about it to be honest.... just thought it would be worth letting you know

To be fair, the Flying Triangle spent more of it's service life in low level camo than in white. ;)

I've been a V bomber fanboy for almost three decades now. I'm gutted I never got to see XH558 flying in person (always thought "I'll go see it next time"). Bought plenty of raffle tickets over the years, where the first prize was a ride along in a taxi run.... but second prize was fly in a Spitfire, in formation with the Vulcan!!! I swear they got those two the wrong way round!

I actually had a dream years ago about my "perfect" flight sim game: You pick your V bomber of choice (TRS2 available as an expansion pack), fly realistic training missions for either high level or low level "bomb toss" attacks depending on the era you've chosen, then take shifts on QRA.
There'd be a slider in the settings menu for how likely you are to scramble. Then if you ever get the call, you'd have to fly the full mission all the way to your target, bomb it, then sit back and watch a glorious cut-scene of the doomshroom rising behind your plane. Then when you get home.... there's no base left for you to land at, the whole UK is consumed by a firestorm, and you'd have to ditch in the north sea. No one is coming to rescue you. Game over dude.
:p

As I've mentioned a few times, I'm building a [civilian light aircraft] simulator at the mo. It's almost finished now. Might post some pics when it's done. I jokingly said the other day that next time I build one, it'll be a Vulcan. Just need that lottery win mansion first...

They definitely got that the wrong way round! That would make an epic flight sim game, apart from the depressing end part, at least have some airstrip on one of the islands out there for an emergency landing :)
I'm doing a PPL H course at Wellesbourne and the first thing you see approaching the place is XM655, which is still thankfully looking in great condition. Also capable of doing a taxi run, and I'd bet she's airworthy, but .. H&S and all probably wouldn't allow it these days, and we all know they can't replace those Bristol Olympus 301's anymore either :( .
Oh, and please do post pics on the flight sim, because that is bloody awesome.

Out of all the V bombers, the vulcan is the best looking.

There is a unsubstantiated story that Gene Roddenberry (CPL holder) passion for aviation influenced some parts of his screenwriting. And the science officers species was named as a nod to this machine.
If this is a myth or the true, we will never know.

Out of all the V bombers, the vulcan is the best looking.

There is a unsubstantiated story that Gene Roddenberry (CPL holder) passion for aviation influenced some parts of his screenwriting. And the science officers species was named as a nod to this machine.
If this is a myth or the true, we will never know.

He was an Air Force pilot during World War I, and then went on to fly for Pan Am before he wrote Star Trek, to say he had a passion for aviation is a bit of an understatement. It's also fairly common knowledge within trek circles that Vulcans were named after the bomber.

I'm pretty sure there are a couple of drunken skype quotes on the wiki regarding the things I would do to a Vulcan. I cannot repeat them here though. ;)