• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Anything Radioactive Topic

Imagine being stuck in that. Knowing civilisation has all but gone up stairs, ya family is more or less kaput. Being near someone else's piss and shit with limited rations and on very little sleep and with no means to escape.

Can guarantee after a week you would be at each others throats. What if the other bloke dies first. Stuck in there with a rotting corpse. Nobody alive would be able to drag a body up those steps.

Shivers

Slightly tenuous, but my local heritage railway is having their 50th anniversary celebrations at the moment, and as part of that they’re doing behind the scenes tours of their yard.

One of the (many) interesting things they have is this carriage which was part of the nuclear trains. According to our guide, the windows would have been manned by 2 observers to keep an eye on the flask. There would have been a similar carriage on the other end of the flask too.

Apparently, after they did the famous tests (smashing a train into a flask) they decided 4 observers were overkill, and the carriages were retired.

Attachments

• IMG_4114.jpeg
    IMG_4114.jpeg
    171.8 KB · Views: 13
No, even though the local nuclear plant is called Springfields...(Westinghouse, near Preston.)
Always studied nuke stuff, I am of that generation, young uns today don't seem as interested.
Reading into Sellafield...one scary story from the time.
If one single bloke hadn't insisted on a tower filter screen...
The nuke storage carriers were highly lit while moving...makes it a little obvious what they are while slowly trundling past the bedroom in the night.

It really annoyed me when I saw the Back to the Future musical, that they made the plutonium glow green. No! It glows blue you morons!

Not been sleeping well lately. This morning - a day off, I hasten to add - I woke up about 7am. Finally got back to sleep about 9.

I was then rudely blasted awake by a nasty loud buzzing next to me. I thwacked my alarm, but it didn't stop. I checked my phone, but it wasn't that.
... Then I noticed the carrier control unit on the bedside table, which was shouting, "Attack Warning Red!" at me. I freaked out, naturally.
Then the world went white, and I woke up for real, in a panic. Thankfully, there was no carrier control unit in sight.

I gave up trying to sleep.

I think you need to stop watching so many nuclear war you tube video mate.
If anything, I've been watching less cold war stuff than usual lately. Maybe my brain was trying to make up for withdrawel?
Or it could just be the fact that right now we are closer to being nuked than we have been since I was in primary school.

If anything, I've been watching less cold war stuff than usual lately. Maybe my brain was trying to make up for withdrawel?
Or it could just be the fact that right now we are closer to being nuked than we have been since I was in primary school.

I bought the book attack warning red by Julie McDowell last year. It will stay unread for a while.

I bought the book attack warning red by Julie McDowell last year. It will stay unread for a while.
I got mine on release day and had finished it 48 hours later. (Read most of it at work while we were on a match). Like her podcasts, it focuses more on the social implications of the balloon going up, rather than the usual military hardware. Very interesting.
Or you are just weird. Like most of us from our generation.
Well, duh.