• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Anything Radioactive Topic

Oh man, I miss those old playgrounds! Nothing but concrete, steel, and a whole lifetime's worth of valuable lessions just waiting to be learnt the hard way!

I can remember quite a few houses still having WWII shelters in their back gardens when I was younger. Stuff like that no doubt fueled my interest in such things.
A few years back a workmate moved house and was doing it up. She said she was digging up an old Anderson shelter in her garden. I told her I hooe she finds a way to preserve it, but she was horrified at the idea. Words along the lines of, "It's a rusty old death trap! I wanna have kids, and I don't want that in my garden for them to play in!"

There can't be many left now. A lot of public shelters have been built over in the last couple of decades.

Every year, a new find as a kid.
First thing, minor petrol bombs to scare out the furry friends.
Then clear out the crap, brambles, take the empties back, for ten bensons, set up the paraffin lamps and petrol storm lamps, couple of old carpets...and have a new den for the summer.
The one in the park was obvious when you knew it was there...steep curved berm edges all the way around the pathline, but an indoor floodlit football field for continued play if you were the mate of the park superintendents son.
Another door mistakenly left unlocked for about a decade.
And glow in the dark, both of my Beach ghost train long sleevers are stunning in the dark after a good bright room charge.
After years of use.

I was a 90s kid and was.part of the generation that got the back end of all the 70s playground stuff. Alot had long gone when I was a nipper. The scars still stood.

Last year, I was talking the archivist at a great WW2 museum called eden camp, which is set in an old POW camp. . You will go past it if you are stupid enough to be going to Flamingo land. Just off the A64. Would highly recommend if your in this part of the world. Anyway, she invited me and the wife to come and see the archive. We had adopted a Mickey mouse gas mask (she likes Disney, thought it was a good birthday present.) I asked if they get many donations and she was saying it's on the up. Purely because the old folk and slowly dieing and the kids don't have a clue what to do with dad/grandads collection of WW2 guns. Alot of that generation are dieing lonely so house clearance firms and folk buying decaying houses are finding this stuff. Whilst I was there I held a Nazi arm band and my lord did that stir emotions. Purely just I bathe thought of what that arm band may have seen.

Weirdly they had to put a call out for folk to stop donating betamax's. As we all know we only won the war because of our superior VHS.

Would very recommend to go.

Now we sir, had a v2000 system, by philips if I recall.
Came apart for separate recorder and player...
Just done a search...
Jeez, three hundred quid if we had kept it...
Runs to loft doors.

Oh man, I miss those old playgrounds! Nothing but concrete, steel, and a whole lifetime's worth of valuable lessions just waiting to be learnt the hard way!

I can remember quite a few houses still having WWII shelters in their back gardens when I was younger. Stuff like that no doubt fueled my interest in such things.
A few years back a workmate moved house and was doing it up. She said she was digging up an old Anderson shelter in her garden. I told her I hooe she finds a way to preserve it, but she was horrified at the idea. Words along the lines of, "It's a rusty old death trap! I wanna have kids, and I don't want that in my garden for them to play in!"

There can't be many left now. A lot of public shelters have been built over in the last couple of decades.

We have a concrete air raid shelter in the garden still. The entrance to the vault is hidden behind an ancient bookcase shelter is sealed but it lives on.

He does so much content. I just hope he doesn't live every second of his life like he's presenting a video. "Welcome to living room, where I discover that tiredness has now overcome me. I'm Simon Whistler, and I say goodnight to my wife on what is my latest episode. Of going to bed."

Gonna watch this I think. I mock him.but he does have a very rare talent of being able to present in a factual way, without being condescending or dull.

You absoloutly know he does, talks to himself in the mirror like it too, every single time he gets his manscaped kit out.

Am I being blind or stupid? Or both?...probably both. I am trying to find that horrifying BBC public service video from years gone by, I am sure someone posted it in here.

Find out where and when the nearest bomb would drop. Turn up wearing factor 50 sun block, sun glasses ( yes i know they will do f all) sit in a comfortable camping chair.
And watch dr strangelove on my mobile device until the bomb drops.

Last edited:
I'd take myself up to the Giants Causeway, cry my eyes out and wait for it, while pretending to be Tea Leoni during the beach scene in Deep Impact, but with more radiation and evaporating etc. If the end is guaranteed, I'd at least like to see it before I turn to dust. In all seriousness, if it ever happens I genuinely haven't a clue how I'd react. I love watching bomb test footage but can't even comprehend seeing that happen for real in a world war scenario, its almost too insane to imagine for me.

I'd drive out to the sticks somewhere with a tent and wait it out with some beers and psychedelics.

Also throw rocks at trains, do some funny graffiti and fly a drone over Nemesis.

I guess because if the world's gonna end anyway, who's gonna know?
It wouldn't offend me if someone chose to do that. But I'd have bigger personal priorities.