• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Apple announcement 12/09/12 - iPhone 5?

Oh really? ;)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7e9ebi41Wc&feature=player_detailpage[/youtube]

Blaze said:
Drop an iPhone on the floor, the iPhone will break, drop an Android on the floor, the floor will break. ;)

It seems the reliability of Apple products is appalling at best. I know many people who have suffered several broken screens, some just weeks after buying the phone. Personally I've only ever owned an itouch, but there is a hell of a lot of dirt under the screen, the off switch doesn't work and no sound is sent to the left channel unless you push hard on the jack at a certain angle.

Then dont abuse the products you buy and yu wont have any problems. Had my iPhone for two years and its still good as the day I got it, haven't used a cover either.

Blaze said:
The Psychoaster said:
Well, just to outline my position - I have an Android phone (decided to try it out) and have been using it for a year and a half now. There is no comparison with the iPhone. Granted, Android successfully copied some of the iPhone features (such as the interface and homescreen design) however the whole thing lacks the intuitive nature that all Apple products have nailed down.
Another person falling for Apple's lies.

The interface and homescreen were invented by Sony and Samsung.

http://www.damncoolpictures.com/2012/08 ... nvent.html

You're telling me that the Sony Ericsson M610i was the inspiration for the iPhone touchscreen? Just remind yourself, that phone came out just a year before the iPhone - it looks primeval! Also, I'd like someone to show me where someone else came up with the touch homescreen, where you can swipe across to change the icon set or press to open up apps. You won't be able to find any because Apple developed this - that's why it's so utterly perfect.

I once dropped my old Siemens C25 a good 40 feet from the grid of a TV studio. When it hit the floor, it bounced a few times, the battery cover came off.... and that was it. I popped it back on an the little bugger never even turned off.

They don't make phones like that any more :(

DiogoJ42 said:
I once dropped my old Siemens C25 a good 40 feet from the grid of a TV studio. When it hit the floor, it bounced a few times, the battery cover came off.... and that was it. I popped it back on an the little bugger never even turned off.

I once drove right over my nokia and it never even took a graze. But then again my granny used to swear by her mangle but a newer steam iron is alot more fragile too.

The fact the iPhone is less open to being physically abused is absurd. If you spend £200+ on any item LOOK AFFTER IT

The Psychoaster said:
You're telling me that the Sony Ericsson M610i was the inspiration for the iPhone touchscreen? Just remind yourself, that phone came out just a year before the iPhone - it looks primeval! Also, I'd like someone to show me where someone else came up with the touch homescreen, where you can swipe across to change the icon set or press to open up apps. You won't be able to find any because Apple developed this - that's why it's so utterly perfect.
You're saying no one had done that before Apple? You'll be saying they invented touch technology next.

But then again, someone on here (can't remember who) claimed Jobs invented the computer mouse, so I wouldn't be surprised.

And does it matter what it looks like? Someone got there before Apple.

Towseriv said:
DiogoJ42 said:

I once drove right over my nokia and it never even took a graze. But then again my granny used to swear by her mangle but a newer steam iron is alot more fragile too.

The fact the iPhone is less open to being physically abused is absurd. If you spend £200+ on any item LOOK AFFTER IT
Towseriv said:
No it's not. If you pay that much for something you expect it to stand up to routine wear and tear. But if they were tougher, you wouldn't have as much reason to replace it every 12 months...

I'd like to agree with some others in this thread - it's a shame that once again a thread is being derailed through a tit-for-tat, mine's better than yours agenda.

This announcement is completely underwhelming. I've had an iPhone 4 for the last couple of years and have really been impressed - and Blaze, it hasn't broken on the multiple times I've dropped it! It's been fast, cameras been good, really easy to use etc. etc. But I completely disagree with The Psychoaster's post above that it's "utterly perfect". That's ludicrous. The price is astonishingly high, it slows down considerably, the home button becomes unresponsive, the camera isn't good enough, it's impossible to personalise unless you void the warranty. Apple are so resistant to change or opening it up to true, uncensored development. And the changing of the socket? What a kick in the face to owners of existing equipment. Money-grabbing bastards.

I'm fairly confident I won't be getting a 5. On paper it's worse than many Android phones already out (screen size, processor, camera, customisability). It's not customisable or easily upgraded and the memory can't be increased. It will no doubt suffer the 2-year Apple curse and significantly slow down once it reaches two years old, making you think you should get a new phone.

Like I said, I'm generally happy with my 4 but it does everything I need so there's no reason for me to pay another ridiculous upfront cost and continue paying >£30 a month. I can pay half that now. And when it does come to the upgrade, I don't see why I should stick with a company that has lost its drive for innovation (or skill at stealing ideas, who knows). Apple created their best products when they were smaller and needed to make a mark. Now that they've become this behemoth of boring, their spark has disappeared.

^ The Apple are great/awful debate is lovely, but it's been had before. To join in with the other parallel conversation, the Nokia 3310 remains the most indestructible phone I've had the pleasure to play football with.

Blaze said:
The Psychoaster said:
You're saying no one had done that before Apple? You'll be saying they invented touch technology next.

But then again, someone on here (can't remember who) claimed Jobs invented the computer mouse, so I wouldn't be surprised.

And does it matter what it looks like? Someone got there before Apple.

Towseriv said:
DiogoJ42 said:

Towseriv said:
No it's not. If you pay that much for something you expect it to stand up to routine wear and tear. But if they were tougher, you wouldn't have as much reason to replace it every 12 months...

High end cars are made from fibre glass guess what thats seriously fragile! Doesn't stop people from demanding high end cars and paying top prices for them though does it? So in reality your point is bull plop and your just trying to Apple bash

It's usually carbon fibre but I'll roll with fibreglass. If I buy a fast car I buy it to be fast. General use of fast cars doesn't make the bodywork fall off. Iphones crack in people's pockets, which is a bit of a flaw for a mobile phone to have, wouldn't you agree?

Blaze said:
It's usually carbon fibre but I'll roll with fibreglass. If I buy a fast car I buy it to be fast. General use of fast cars doesn't make the bodywork fall off. Iphones crack in people's pockets, which is a bit of a flaw for a mobile phone to have, wouldn't you agree?

This is so off topic it's unbelievable!

Can we please discuss the iPhone 5? I have seen a couple of posts in here regarding it, but everything else is a silly attempt at hijacking an Apple thread to bash, moan, groan and otherwise be argumentative about a company that successfully invents, develops and produces consistently good, well selling products.

ON TOPIC;

I do think this has been a little underwhelming to be honest but as I stated previously, I will be upgrading due to the crack in my screen on my 4S

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad to see that everyone is underwhelmed! I wasn't sure when I upgraded to an S3 whether to wait and see what the iPhone 5 was like, but looks like I made a good choice.

:)

Blaze said:

I wouldn't agree no, as I say I have had my phone for two years with no issue and I have in some ways abused my phone in some ways.

As for comments the phone is underwhelming would we rather have almost direct copies of other phones?

AstroDan said:
Glad to see that everyone is underwhelmed! I wasn't sure when I upgraded to an S3 whether to wait and see what the iPhone 5 was like, but looks like I made a good choice.

Indeed you did. The iPhone 5 has no significant changes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They've made the phone 18% thinner, 20% lighter, but twice as powerful and with an increased battery life. To double the performance and still improve battery life is pretty bloody amazing. :)

T said:
Can we please discuss the iPhone 5? I have seen a couple of posts in here regarding it, but everything else is a silly attempt at hijacking an Apple thread to bash, moan, groan and otherwise be argumentative about a company that successfully invents, develops and produces consistently good, well selling products.
Don't forget sue! And don't forget exploit the third world workers that make the products! And remember privacy violations and security issues! ;)

And maybe there'd be more talking about the new iphone if there was anything significant to talk about.:p
Towseriv said:
As for comments the phone is underwhelming would we rather have almost direct copies of other phones?
You mean like the iphone?

AstroDan said:

Indeed you did. Unless of course, the ghost of Steve Jobs gets his way and Samsung's phones all turn out to somehow be illegal. ;)

The only reason people are underwhelmed is because of the hype. The novelty of these big launch things seems to be wearing thin even for the fanboys.

The real changes are with iOS6 in my view... Which won't encourage anyone to upgrade - particularly as they can get the benefits of 6 on the 3GS, 4 and 4S.

mrbrightside said:
The real changes are with iOS6 in my view... Which won't encourage anyone to upgrade - particularly as they can get the benefits of 6 on the 3GS, 4 and 4S.

Have they confirmed they will be supporting IO6 on 3GS since they have just announced it is no longer being produced?

Looks brilliant there has been some great additions can't wait upgrade

It looks appallingly bad. There used to be a time where Apple copied other phones, but made it smoother sleeker and better.

Now they just stretch it a few cm's and change the adapter. Not even a crappy gimmick like Siri.

The only improvement in any of the ranges is the Nano, which looks a lot better:

http://www.apple.com/uk/ipod-nano/

The Touch remains the same as the iPhone, without the phone. Pretty standard.

Overall, Apple again being bad, with the only positive being that previous models are cheaper.

The only inevitable now will be the discussion for a iPhone Nano, or one more gimmick/un-original idea Apple "come up" with.

Still the best phone on the market though.