• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Apple announcement 12/09/12 - iPhone 5?

Sam

TS Member
Yeah, fifteen minutes until the Apple press conference gets underway!

1.jpg

Liveblogs:

http://live.gizmodo.com/
http://live.arstechnica.com/apple-septe ... most-here/
http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/12/appl ... -liveblog/

Great article here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19557497

What a truly embarrassing spectacle. They're giving the yearly update to their overpriced and underperforming phone. The way they have these ridiculous, self-indulgent, pompous conferences every time they change a colour of a button or whatever, you'd think they'd invented the phone.

Blaze said:
Great article here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19557497

What a truly embarrassing spectacle. They're giving the yearly update to their overpriced and underperforming phone. The way they have these ridiculous, self-indulgent, pompous conferences every time they change a colour of a button or whatever, you'd think they'd invented the phone.

That's not a great article, many of the statements he makes that are meant to be derogatory towards Apple are simply misleading:

More important, is this really the best we can expect from an outfit that claims to be the most innovative company in the world? This is the sixth version of the iPhone, and the user interface still looks almost exactly like the original iPhone in 2007.

Why change the user interface? It has been, and remains the best user interface ever developed for a smartphone. It's already perfect. Why would you alter it just for the sake of it?

In case you're bad at maths, let me work that out for you: Android's market share is now four times that of Apple. Four times!

Wouldn't you expect that? Considering there are hundreds if not thousands of Android phone models out now - almost every single one cheaper and therefore far worse than the iPhone. The iPhone, let's not forget, is ONE PHONE (albeit with several versions) - I would say it was impressive for 17% of the mobile using community to be using that one phone.

Blaze said:

Wow, someone's got a bee in their bonnet. :p

No need to get so angry about it, it's just some new technology and we like to discuss new shiny things. :)

RyanY said:
Is there anywhere you can watch this live, or is it just blogs?

Nope, Apple don't stream it live, they only post the video once it's finished. :)

Didn't you hear? Apple DID invent the phone. They have the money lawers to prove it.

This Apple vs. Android argument is very boring. I have an Android phone, and won't be buying an iPhone, but I'm just interested in new products and developments in technology.

Please can we not bore up this thread with petty and tedious fanboyism. :)

Chill. It's the Apple fans that get fanboyish. Us Android folk are rational human beings ;)

The Psychoaster said:
More important, is this really the best we can expect from an outfit that claims to be the most innovative company in the world? This is the sixth version of the iPhone, and the user interface still looks almost exactly like the original iPhone in 2007.

Why change the user interface? It has been, and remains the best user interface ever developed for a smartphone. It's already perfect. Why would you alter it just for the sake of it?
That's your opinion. For everyone who thinks it's great, just as many people think it's flawed, limited, infective and completely blown away by Android or Windows.

Sam said:
Wow, someone's got a bee in their bonnet. :p

No need to get so angry about it, it's just some new technology and we like to discuss new shiny things. :)
Apple are a dangerous company and a sinister cult. The way the western world comes to a halt every time Apple make a new product but ignore the evil stuff they do is an extremely disheartening defeat to capitalism.

Blaze said:
The Psychoaster said:

That's your opinion. For everyone who thinks it's great, just as many people think it's flawed, limited, infective and completely blown away by Android or Windows.

Well, just to outline my position - I have an Android phone (decided to try it out) and have been using it for a year and a half now. There is no comparison with the iPhone. Granted, Android successfully copied some of the iPhone features (such as the interface and homescreen design) however the whole thing lacks the intuitive nature that all Apple products have nailed down.

Could someone briefly summarise the main features of the new iPhone 5, to set it apart from its rivals? I only have a very slight interest in these sort of things, and I opted to take up a Samsung Galaxy S3 a couple of months ago, as my new phone - mainly based on the fact that an iPhone would have cost me several hundred pounds more over the duration of the contract and that I read a few articles that gave the S3 the edge over the iPhone 4.

However, I would love to know the main features of the iPhone 5!

:)

As an iPhone 4 user, I have to say it doesn't like it's up to much this new one. Seems they've gone for the lazy Playstation & Xbox ways of making it thinner and lighter. Was expecting something more from this. I think I'll hang on to my 4 thanks.

Apple has unveiled a taller, 4G-enabled iPhone at an event in San Francisco.

The device's new size allows it to display an extra row of app icons on its home screen.

The firm said it was 18% thinner and 20% lighter than the iPhone 4S. The screen measures 4in (10.2cm) which is still smaller than rival devices from Samsung, Nokia, Motorola and HTC.

It said it would be available on 4G via Everything Everywhere (EE) in the UK.

The news is likely to give the network operator - which runs the local Orange and T-Mobile services - an advantage against its rivals which will not launch the higher-speed data service until 2013.

"I think it's obviously what the other networks feared would happen," said Matthew Howett, a telecoms analyst at Ovum.

"The question will be how many non-EE customers make the switch."

Apple said the handset would ship on 21 September.

Faster speeds
The new screen offers a 16:9 ratio, matching that of widescreen televisions.

Phil Schiller - Apple's vice president of worldwide marketing, who unveiled the device - said existing apps would be shown with black borders until developers updated their products.

The handset also features a new Apple-designed chip, called the A6. Mr Schiller suggested this made it twice as powerful as the earlier model.

The camera is an eight megapixel model - the same as in the iPhone 4S, and a lower specification than LG and Sony's most recent devices.

However, Mr Schiller said the equipment and associated software meant the iPhone would create better photographs in low light than before.

The handset also uses a new, smaller, socket for its charger. This means owners will need to use an adapter to plug the device into existing speakers and other equipment.

There was no mention made of NFC (near field communication) technology suggesting the device will not be able to make touchless payments.

The Psychoaster said:
Well, just to outline my position - I have an Android phone (decided to try it out) and have been using it for a year and a half now. There is no comparison with the iPhone. Granted, Android successfully copied some of the iPhone features (such as the interface and homescreen design) however the whole thing lacks the intuitive nature that all Apple products have nailed down.
Another person falling for Apple's lies.

The interface and homescreen were invented by Sony and Samsung.

http://www.damncoolpictures.com/2012/08 ... nvent.html

What is the obsession with making things thinner? To me that just means "easier to break"

Blaze said:
The Psychoaster said:
Another person falling for Apple's lies.

The interface and homescreen were invented by Sony and Samsung.

http://www.damncoolpictures.com/2012/08 ... nvent.html

Isn't this thread to discuss the iPhone 5, not it's rivals? I'm a bit bored by the people who take an issue with Apple over every device they make. If you want to discuss the good/bad, Make an Apple V (whatever) thread and discuss there!

I don't think there is much point in me upgrading from iPhone 4S to iPhone 5, however I will do so as my screen has shattered on my phone, so it's an upgrade that will, overall, be worth it for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks nice. Extra row of apps seems good and the updated cameras and 4G are also good features. The faster processor is also solid too.

Anything I'm interested in though really is available in iOS6 though so I'm not too fussed about missing out on the 5. My 4S has a year left to run on its contract so I won't be upgrading til this time next year... No doubt I'll get the 5S or 6 or whatever next years iteration is called though

DiogoJ42 said:
Samsung phones use Gorilla Glass ;)
The one good thing about my Galaxy Note, 'eh?

4G networks in the UK. When is this happening?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drop an iPhone on the floor, the iPhone will break, drop an Android on the floor, the floor will break. ;)

It seems the reliability of Apple products is appalling at best. I know many people who have suffered several broken screens, some just weeks after buying the phone. Personally I've only ever owned an itouch, but there is a hell of a lot of dirt under the screen, the off switch doesn't work and no sound is sent to the left channel unless you push hard on the jack at a certain angle.