• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Bellewaerde Park: General Discussion

Why can't we have spectacular ride opening ceremonies like that in this country?

:(

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk 2

Stevie said:
Why can't we have spectacular ride opening ceremonies like that in this country?

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk 2

UbWtH6f.png

Was literally just about the post that video!

Soo... Who's up for a trip to Bellewaerde Park?!!

As Dar has said. For a ride of this size, in such a small park... This thing looks incredible! The pre-lift section is amazing! <3

I'm really impressed by the theming, especially as its a family coaster. Many parks take advantage of the fact that children are easily impressed so, I like that so much effort has gone in to this.

:eek:

4 Million Euros? That ending is brilliant. I wished they'd had just a little something like that in the crypt or reverse tunnel of you know what.

It also seems to carry a decent amount of speed, and the on board audio also seems to carry the atmosphere as best it can out into the open.

Clearly though, the advert proves Merlin inspired them, they couldn't have created that whole genius from anything other than inside a shipping container, where ALL the magic happens nowadays.

For creating that though with 4m Euros, they deserve the plaudits and congratulations from the enthusiast community. A POV so often doesn't do an atmosphere or ride justice, yet even on that video it looks spectacular.

Get their development team in to revamp Dark Forest please! That is how Alton's family thrill area should and COULD have felt.

No excuses anymore when a far smaller park with a comparatively small budget creates something that, well, frankly brilliant!

It looks like it had a full 10 minuet show in its opening.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1X3fSx_2qs#ws

I have to say this look amazing, as people have said, this shows what can be done, and if Belgium can do it, then so can M£rlin. I'm going on a history trip later this year and we are having a day at Bellewaerde (has nothing to do with history i know ;)). Look like there will be a ride worth waiting for. Will tell you all how it goes. ;D

That show was stunning! Fitting for such a fantastic family ride! It certainly put what we do over here to shame. Amazing. :)

The inside bit is almost Revenge of the Mummy-esque. Very rare for a non-Disney/Universal park to probably spend as much on theming as they did on the hardware itself. :)

BigAl said:
That show was stunning! Fitting for such a fantastic family ride! It certainly put what we do over here to shame. Amazing. :)

Not difficult when the parks don't actually DO anything...

Yes, they may not have pretty shows but most Merlin parks have actually added a coaster since 1984 (just to balance out the glowing praise of this ride).

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2

Wow that theming looks incredible! Very impressed. Hard to tell what the coaster itself is like but I'm sure it's fine as a kids/family coaster!

:)

I rode this yesterday and its a nice family ride. Thats all it is, a nice family ride.

The queueline is ok, not amazing and nothing which tells a story. Graffiti is all over the place near the station already. Station themeing is decent with some nice atmospheric lighting.

As for the ride itself, it has a good dark ride section, with good theming, but thats about it. Again no story telling in place. The coaster section is ok, but again nothing spectacular. Functional is a word I would use. There is a problem here though that at some sections you can see that your in a giant warehouse as light floods in from the lift and re-entry tunnel. There is no additional theming after the drop at all until the finale laser light show, which is good. The sync'd soundtrack does also help slightly.

All in all, its a good family coaster with a very low 1m height restriction which mean most people can ride. It didn't set my World on fire, but its a decent installation for its target audience and I hope it will be a success for them.

I managed to visit Bellewaerde Park for a day the other weekend with Russell and Saz. I really did not know what to expect from the park at all; there are no standout coasters but it was conveniently on the way to Phantasialand and Russell has been desperate to ride a god damn Huss Topple Towers (they are a bit rubbish it turns out). I was expecting a small park and not much else, in fact I was very wrong!

The park is beautiful with some lovely landscaping and theming. The zoo aspect of the park is integrated well and all in all it leads to a very enjoyable day out. For what it is, a family coaster, Huracan is really good fun and very well themed.

Anyway, yesterday Bellewaerde announced that they are to get Europe's first dueling alpine coasters in 2017!
Bellewaerde said:
This fall, Bellewaerde starts the construction of a new attraction. For the first time in Europe, a Duelling Alpine Coaster will be built on a non-natural hillside, which makes 2 premieres for the theme park in Ypres. After a walk until 25 metres high, visitors will be seated to start the downhill race. An investment of 4 million euro has been provided for the development and construction of the attraction.

European premiere

This fall, Bellewaerde starts the construction of the first Duelling Alpine Coaster in Europe. Furthermore, this type of attraction will be built on a non-natural hillside, which makes 2 European premieres for Bellewaerde. This attraction will consist of two parallel tracks which allows visitors to start a duel with each other during an exciting race until ground level.

Family trip till 25 metres high
Before the visitors will start the duel, a breath-taking walk awaits them. On a unique bridge, families will arrive between the tree tops in an impressive tower of 25 metres high. From this tower, they will have a beautiful view over Bellewaerde.

Investment
An investment of 4 million euro has been provided for the development and construction of this attraction. “This unique attraction is custom-made for the families as a target group. Only the combination with our motivated, friendly and helpful employees makes it possible to complete the mission of Bellewaerde: offering fun and adventure in a natural setting where family and friends experience authentic and indulging moments together”, according to Stefaan Lemey, director of Bellewaerde.

header-new-ride-EN_1.jpg

Seems like a good addition for the park, certainly an interesting one!

Bellewaerde have given a tour of the construction site for their new dueling alpine coasters and Looopings were there to get some photos:

270117dual4.jpg

270117dual1.jpg

270117dual5.jpg

270117dual7.jpg

It's certainly unlike any other alpine coaster that I have ever seen, even the track looks slightly different.

The Looopings article also states that the cars will not have brakes, not sure if that is accurate or lost in translation. I'm all for no brakes mind! :p

EDIT:

Bellewaerde have now posted more information about this, including that it will be named Dawson Duel (as in the city of Dawson, Canada).

This photo however seems to imply that there will infact be brakes on the cars:

Name%20Revelation_HR.jpg

Oh well, the idea of no brakes was fun whilst it lasted!

Turns out there is a video as well:

Last edited:
It's certainly a bizarre addition.... even more so as it's an Alpine Coaster that's not following the terrain, it's just like an every day coaster... which they probably should have built instead... XD

450 metres.

Do people realise how short that is for an Alpine Coaster?

Out of the one's listed on RCDB with track lengths, it'll be the 193rd longest in the world. It is a place mainly aimed at kids I suppose, and they don't have the terrain to do the really lengthy ones.

I wonder how much that's costing to build. It seems like the sort of ride that would be a good option for one of the smaller parks. It's the kind of ride I'd expect Oakwood to build if they were still owned by the McNameras. It would fit in well at Lightwater Valley as well.