• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

BigAl's No Limits Coasters

A badly supported half inversion test:

SunburstInversionTest1_zps29fd0b64.png

Still working on it, obviously! :p

Noice! Did you hand build that half roll? If so, it's really well shaped and fluid. I'm looking forward to where this RMC project is going.

What I love about NoLimits is how easy is to use it with third party track tools, support tools and object creators making this sort of thing possible. I hope it's an aspect that is fully retained when NL2 is eventually released.

Yeah everything I do is hand built as I'm not much for Newton. Glad you like it! :D

Completely agree with you, though I have a feeling they're trying to incorporate many new features into NL2 so people won't have to rely so much on third party stuff.

:)

CGM said:
What I love about NoLimits is how easy is to use it with third party track tools, support tools and object creators making this sort of thing possible. I hope it's an aspect that is fully retained when NL2 is eventually released.

NoLimits 2 is pretty special... Believe me when I say, Ole has barely shown you anything ;-)

Jared said:
CGM said:

NoLimits 2 is pretty special... Believe me when I say, Ole has barely shown you anything ;-)

Ambiguous comment is ambiguous... I'm starting to really not give a tish about NL2 now, it's probably not going to be released until 2017.

BigAl said:

the support work is fantastic and the texture on the track looks ace. i hope this would be the outward part of the element though as looking at the way these "new age" hybrids are made with these elements the track seems to throw you upwards into the element rather than just inverting it like a standered inversion which is why the heart-line rolls look out of shape. i do love that support work though. trying to support mine is taking so long i may just go for prefab modified.

gazag said:
BigAl said:

the support work is fantastic and the texture on the track looks ace. i hope this would be the outward part of the element though as looking at the way these "new age" hybrids are made with these elements the track seems to throw you upwards into the element rather than just inverting it like a standered inversion which is why the heart-line rolls look out of shape. i do love that support work though. trying to support mine is taking so long i may just go for prefab modified.

Glad you like it! :D If you want I can make an environment with the texture in for your RMC hybrid too? Nick is doing one as well so if he's around I don't mind changing the colour of the texture for him too. :)

Yeah, that's the exit to the element. The first part is high banked turn and instead of levelling out and heading up over a hill, this will invert riders. It's a half version of a flat cobra roll I made many years ago but I never used the element so I'll make use of it now. :p

Oh, and the supports are the cathedral style but I removed the catwalks and hand rails before adding in the supports holding up the inversion. I then switched the bars on the track to steel 'H' beams and that's it! To achieve the no-tie look I'm going to have to sacrifice on some of the smoothness, but once the ride is going it should look fine. That's all I'm after anyway! :L

BigAl said:
Glad you like it! :D If you want I can make an environment with the texture in for your RMC hybrid too? Nick is doing one as well so if he's around I don't mind changing the colour of the texture for him too. :)

You mean the one I've already finished and uploaded. ;) Anyway, thanks for the gesture, but as I've said, I've already finished it- to a very basic standard.

Anyway, I'll join the queue on drooling over the shaping. It's incredible, and I love the gradually increasing roll- allowing the car to go through the roll at a constant speed. I can only hope the rest of the coaster is as good, but if it's done to the detail of that, it'll be fantastic.

And sorry for the late reply.

Until I get my old hard drive fitted (this weekend probably) I've had to start again making coasters. I've been getting used to my new PC and decided to do something small to begin with.

WhirlBlitzer-130309121447000_zps52129daa.jpg

Stats

Name: Whirl Blitzer (after the famous Wurlitzer organs).
Type: Gerstlauer Spinning Coaster
Style: Compact / Travelling

Height: 10.5 meters
Length: 810.4 feet
Top Speed: 30 mph
Cars: 5 (4 seats each)
Capacity: 975 per hour
Dispatches: Ever 15 seconds
Ride Time: 40 seconds
Total Ride time: 48 seconds
Footprint: About the same size as two Pinfari Superdragons side-by-side

At some point I will finish one of these many designs and upload a video or two! :p

Anyway, another one I made today:

Hornet4_zps6ca7a752.jpg

Hornet3_zps86c3584a.jpg

Hornet2_zpsf1cbdb70.jpg

Hornet1_zps326b88b1.jpg

Hornet!

All I can say is wow! Where do these great designs end? (hopefully never!)

Thanks, Bear and PT! :D

Tbh I usually just start building and see where I go. This particular ride was pieced together in my head using other ideas I've been trying to use for a while now. I've been thinking about making a really intense inverted coaster which features air time, inversions and lots of force for a while though.

'Hornet' features an initial drop down the side of a hill and over a river which hits 52 mph (top speed) and pulls 3.6 G up to 4 G before the drop ends.

The ride then turns up into an airtime hill which will be about 3 meters below the track for an excellent foot-chopper effect, a loop around the lift (black with a yellow stripe to suit the theme) which pulls 5 G.

Then the ride takes a really sharp turn into a cobra roll which will wrap around the station building (been dying to do that for ages :p ). As the train reaches halfway along the turn before the cobra it pulls 3.6 G which goes up to 4 G at the base of the cobra and then it rises up to 5.5 G at the top of the cobra and 4 G again as it reaches halfway through the element (before inverting again to exit).

After that it head out of the trench by the station and around the queue before performing a 3.8 G wingover over the top of the dipped section of track which leads from the station. The wingover is designed to be as close to the lift and station as possible for more chopper effects.

It then heads into a cave and maintains between 3 and 3.4 G before the final brake run.

So unlike Swarm, the sting is definitely in the Hornet's tail! ;) :p

Terrain sorted, timings improved, track altered for increased speed, smoothness and greater intensity in certain areas. New environments downloaded too! :)

Hornet-edit--130315101645002_zpsaf8cd9fb.jpg

Hornet-edit--130315101620001_zps5dc526d6.jpg

Hornet-edit--130315101600000_zps5e6ccf47.jpg

Hornet-edit--130315101750003_zps9a1b8d0f.jpg

Next I'll be fixing the banking before adding supports and then some trees. I'll finish it off with theming for the queue, ride area and station.

HornetLift_zps654055b8.jpg

Lift supports nearly done, loop supports and spine connectors done, smoothness and banking fixed, landscaping improved.

Firstly, I like the layout very much- it's very short and sweet. The colours as well are spot on. The only criticism for me is the loop, which needs to be a bit tighter. It shows in the track spine, which is very good by the way, but much too thick at where it's connected to the supports. Looks good though.

I'm not sure if I can make it much tighter as it already pulls 5G. I'll see if I can lower the base and raise the top part a little though.

Anyway, glad you like it! :D

Loops are very difficult to do well but, ideally, what you're looking for is an decrease in the radius being proportional to the speed of the car. I know it sounds obvious, but you need to make the pull-in wider, as this is the problem with your loop- and not the part that you've made wider, AKA the top of the loop. The problem on your loop is the section between the two supports, if you know what I mean. What most B&M inverted coasters do here is have a, nearly, flat section after the drop, before proceeding to the loop. It doesn't matter if you don't have this, but to compensate, the loop needs to be much higher, as yours compared to the lift height is incredibly low. I think to create an appropriate height, the lift track would need to be about half-way up the loop.

So basically, the fix I would make is:
Make the air-time hill into the loop steeper, as this will allow for a longer pull-in section.
Increase the length of the pull-in.
Increase the height of the top of the loop to as I suggested.
Compress the middle of the loop (just under the supports) a bit (this will be able to do as this part of the loop will be higher than before, and so the train will lose more speed).

I'll see what I can do. Looking at it again I can see that the bottom does need to be lower. I'll have to be careful not to slow it too much so as it doesn't kill the cobra roll exit and also to ensure that the exit of the airtime hill isn't too intense, otherwise it'd be quite an uncomfortable ride. It's already probably the most forceful ride I've designed (see the G ratings on one of my previous comments). :p

Another update here:

Hornet130319180434001_zps4beda2dc.jpg

Hornet30319180353000_zpsd9468a55.jpg

I've fixed the loop, completed the banking (mostly on the wingover and cobra roll) and have finished half of the supports. I've also changed the landscaping so that it's all as close as possible to the riders and track and created deeper trenches for the cobra roll and loop areas.

Now the layout is done, I've collected some stats for the ride:
Length: 2250 ft (exactly)
Top Speed: 53 mph
Dispatches: Every 73 seconds
Capacity: 1580 riders per hour
Max Positive Vertical G: 5.3 G
Trains: 2 trains, 4 riders per row, 8 rows per train
Max Height Over Ground: 25 m
Tallest Drop: 32 m
Highest to Lowest Track Points: 33 m
Inversions: 4
Total Drops: 10

Key Elements: Station drop, initial sweeping drop, airtime hill, loop, ravine curve, station cobra roll, overbank turn, wingover, helix.

:)