• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

BigAl's No Limits Coasters

Supports finished, catwalks finished, terrain finished, track finished, transfer area finished.

Hornet-130322164030002_zpsd107ce71.jpg

Hornet-130322164001001_zps6dcf194a.jpg

Hornet-130322163950000_zpsf3deac29.jpg

Next up will be the theming and trees before I finally create a video of it. :)

Here's just a little something I've started working on for me to continue developing once I've finished Hornet. It's an element I developed a while ago but I've only just gone back to it now after spending a few moments thinking about how to push compact coasters just a little bit more and introduce new experiences to smaller rides such as Eurofighters.

I've called it the 'Coil', and from this picture, I'm sure you'll be able to see why:

TheCoil_zps75f97498.jpg

It's basically a loop followed by a compact near-circular transition into another loop. These kinds of loops are very intense and at the mid-point of this element my car was pulling a max of 5G so I've kept it to just two flips.

Having just got my head around the basics of NL, I can now appreciate the effort that goes into these things. Wow, just wow. Keep it going, it's inspiring to a newbie like me! :)

Thought I'd give Hornet a bit of a rest so I don't become bored of making it, so I decided to make something even more compact in the form of Barracuda...

Barracuda-130424203532005_zpsdccf3d28.jpg

Barracuda-130424203545006_zps7487d33c.jpg

Barracuda-130424203648007_zps6c92b229.jpg

Barracuda-130424203722008_zps92118a4a.jpg

Barracuda-130424203750009_zpsa79aaf60.jpg

Barracuda-130424203342000_zps6ab6c7b4.jpg

Barracuda-130424203353001_zps3d0d00d9.jpg

Barracuda-130424203411002_zps241910be.jpg

Barracuda-130424203443003_zps30664461.jpg

Barracuda-130424203515004_zps5ed4256f.jpg

Stats:

Capacity: 1360 riders per hour
Dispatches: every 64 seconds
Cars: 2 (6 rows of 4 seats)

Top Speed: 44 mph
Ride Length: 1750.00 ft
Ride Height: 24 meters
Inversions: 3
Drops: 11

It's designed to look like waves lapping a wrecked pirate ship (station design) with the trains being the shoal of hungry Barracuda.

It's designed to be as compact as possible with the queue eventually starting under the immelman supports and weaving under and around the ride. Even the maintenance shed, transfer track and a drop tower ride fit in the footprint.

The final inversion is inspired and helix / bayern curve looking thing are inspired by the way Barracuda are known to swim in the shape of a tornado...

7703252874_5928bec41d_z.jpg

And I don't have anywhere to post this so I'll put it here:

fabbrijingledroptower.jpg

fabbrijingledroptower1.jpg

Yeah it's not great but SHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! :X It's a Fabbri Jingle Drop Tower (see West Midlands Safari Park's 'Venom' ride to see how one should look :p ) that I'm creating for a project / ride concept I'm working on.

:)

One other concept I've had a go at in NL that I've has somehow managed to get to work:

PhantomTeaser_zpsabe073e9.jpg

Phantom is a Vekoma Flying Dutchman shuttle coaster designed to be set partially inside an old castle or cathedral and is part dark ride, coaster and drop tower, designed for a small theme park.

Riders will be pulled to the top of the first tower whilst viewing scenes in front of them before light, sound and air blasts signal the first drop. Here riders plummet back down in the style of a drop tower, shoot back through the station at 53 mph and into the first half of the coaster section.

The second tower is much quicker and simply speeds the train up the tower before releasing it quickly to go forwards again, reaching 52 mph. The train is slowed by the station brakes and allowed to roll into the first tower again before it is then brought to a complete stop in the station.

A few stats...

Capacity: 755 riders per hour
Dispatches: every 115 seconds
Trains: 6 rows of 4 seats
Length: 1220.00 ft
Height: 44 meters (tops of the towers)
Top Speed: 53 mph
Highest G-Force: 5.2

Yep, Hornet is still alive and kicking, and I've now finally decided on the exact theme I'm going for with it (though you'll have to wait until it's all done before I explain things)! For now, here's three more shots of my progress:

h170p.jpg

h270p.jpg

h370p.jpg

Man what a few rocks can do. ;)

Anyway, that lift support structure is absolutely stunning- if I didn't already say- and the transfer track is a nice touch. I'm not sure about the queue though, it seems a bit overkill to me!

However, the simple touches make this look excellent- like the auto-flanger, the rocks and the black track. I would recommend making some of the plants smaller though, or at least making the plants a bit denser, as they look kinda out of place at the moment.

Still though, excellent job so far, and I hope this is a coaster that you actually finish for once. :p

Thanks Nick! :D

Don't worry too much about how the queue, plants and rocks look just yet as there's still a hell of a lot left to add (should be fun xD ).

The queue is designed to show off different aspects of the ride and its surroundings which I'll list in a description once it's finished (along with the simple backstory which will be told through the theming elements that I've not added yet). It wiggles all over the landscape and I'm designing it so that very little of the other sections of the queue lines will be as visible. It looks off now because it's just the queue that's in with nothing else.

The plants are too big which is why I'm making some smaller plants of my own to fill in gaps and to add around the bases of things.

But yes, I plan on finishing both this and Barracuda! :p I would finish Superman but that's on an old hard drive and I may not be able to retrieve it anymore if it won't load in another PC. :/

Glad you like it though! :)

BigAl's NL Coasters & More

Drayton Manor has been in need of something a little more thrilling for a while now, so in between working on Hornet, a sketch of a river rapids boat for my Chessington Rumrunner River Rapids plan (previously called Kraken Creek until I updated my idea) and another project, I've been stitching a ride idea together in my head and I've come up with this...

arachnid130605131556000.jpg

arachnid130605131630001.jpg

Stats

Name: Arachnid
Type: Compact B&M Floorless

Length: 2925.00 feet
Top Speed: 52 mph
Capacity: N/A (working on it :p )
Trains: 5 trains, 4 riders per row, 4 rows per train
Max Height Over Ground: 24 meters
Tallest Drop: 30 meters
Highest to Lowest Track Points: 30 meters
Inversions: 5
Total Drops: 15
Blocks: 10

arachnid130605131641002.jpg

arachnid130605131705003.jpg

It's more or less a combination of Nemesis, Hulk, The Smiler, Shambhala, Verbolten, Swarm and Rita. Quite a combo, but I'll explain why. Arachnid has the compact style of The Smiler (trains, lift and close dueling elements) with the inverted drop leading out of the half cobra roll, the intensity and close landscaping inspired by Nemesis, the launched lift and roll from Hulk, my own variant of Swarm's drop (steeper for more speed and force), an indoor dark section similar to that found of Verbolten, the high-speed turns of Rita (especially the last one) and finally, the airtime hills of Shambhala. I packed so much into the ride due to the fact that Drayton Manor's larger coasters don't really compare to roller coasters at Alton Towers, so the ride is more than just a simple roller coaster to help make up for things.

I've designed the ride to fit on this large open expanse of land at Drayton Manor in a way that there's space for another coaster and smaller rides either side. I've done this my slotting the main portion of the ride in between two large trees, having the enclosed section set over the side of an access road (giving enough clearance below for vehicles) and also by shaping the first drop and half cobra over the entrance/exit road. This means that as guests drive in, Arachnid is the first thing they will see (which would hopefully get people excited as they drive right beneath it). I've also set the finale to launch riders back under the main portion of the ride and over the entrance road a little further down to create more interaction with guests. To make sure the ride would also fit within the park's height limit, the ride's highest point is only 24 meters above the ground (Shockwave being 34 meters above the ground).

As to whether the park could afford such a ride is another matter completely! :p

arachnid130605131806004v.jpg

arachnid130605131835005.jpg

The Theme

I thought I'd adopt the article about the rare spiders found at the site for the proposed Paramount Theme Park in London (as well as the discussion we had on here about it... and the general hatred for our eight-legged friends that TST has) as a base for my theme. :p

As construction workers at Drayton Manor were preparing to start initial groundwork for the park's next big ride, workers uncovered a nest of giant rare spiders beneath the ground where they were going to start building on.

The area of woodland (created for the story as it's currently just an open field) blocked off whilst experts were brought in to try and identify the species as well as work out a way of removing them. Once it had been determined that the spiders were worth destroying for a big new roller coaster, before the site had been signed off to let work continue, staff began to shift more dirt, unveiling a second, larger nest. Before the other species could be burned / squished / eradicated from existence, the larger species from the new nest began to capture workers, web-up vehicles and buildings, and just generally caused absolute chaos; something you might expect from creatures the size of a motorbike! :p

But it wasn't over (it never is with these things, is it! :D ), as the nest had one final surprise in-store. The ground gave-way, and from beneath the ground came Arachnid, the King Kong / Godzilla of spiders! xD

The once cordoned-off area is now open in a desperate hope that someone will be able to tame it before the entire park becomes one giant cobweb!

arachnid130605131906006.jpg

arachnid130605131929007.jpg

The Ride

Guests enter the area via a winding road, littered with various webbed-up vehicles, buildings and people (some actors, some static theming) and eventually come face-to-face with the giant Arachnid. The spider itself is the station, which will be designed so that some of the legs cross over the ride and paths (it'll be halfway in the ground, as if it's coming out of a trap, ready to attack), whilst the track of the ride will be white, as if it's webbing.

Once on the ride, the train heads up a 21 meter lift above the ride area and entrance road, which then immediately leads into an inverting drop (basically a steeper version of Swarm's). The train drops down, under and back above the road into half a cobra roll which ends in an inverting drop / corkscrew back in the direction of the station. The train hops over the top of the station for some ejector airtime, then sweeps around and under the front, narrowly missing the legs of the Arachnid (guests not on the ride would be able to see all of this from paths at the edge of the ride area). Once past the station, the train curves back around again and heads up into a corkscrew, right over the start of the lift before heading into a steep overbank turn (which is where the train meets the one in front of it that's just exiting the final inversion, after the launched lift). There's one more drop under some fake trees which will look like they've been smashed / uprooted by the Arachnid, before the train heads up over the staff access road (for some airtime) and into the brake run before the middle section of the ride.

The middle of the ride involves entering the Arachnid's nest. Here, the train goes past various scenes which build to a climax (the climax being the launched exit). The first scene is a cold, dark room with rocks lining the sides to make it feel like you're in a cave (a door like the one used to shield Th13teen's drop from natural light would be used here to help the atmosphere remain unnerving). The train then turns around a corner where two men are webbed-up at the end of the tunnel, wriggling and screaming for help. Above the train, giant animatronic Arachnid babies would lower down slowly towards the train; the screams of the two men getting louder and more desperate as they draw closer. Just as they get within a few feet, the cave becomes pitch black and the train drops deeper underground, passing walls lined with huge spider eggs. Just as the train slows back down again, riders turn to face a bigger spider (about the size of a small car) over the top of the exit to the cave. As the train gets closer to it, the spider lowers slightly, its eyes would glow red before finally the spider lurches forwards, hissing and spitting whilst revealing its great fangs. This sequencing would help to make this final scene a little more frightening before the train finally escapes the cave by being launched out and back over the staff access road.

The launch takes riders back up to a similar height to the first lift before riders would traverse a barrel roll and then drop past the train behind which is about to head into the cave that you've just exited. The train reaches 52 mph again (same speed as when it reaches the bottom of the very first drop) and climbs over a large airtime hill, positioned directly over the top of the entrance road. The train then swings to the right as it speeds back down again, and enters a Rita style turn which would be dug into a trench to give riders a greater sense of speed, as well as making the ride's final elements a little more thrilling. Once that's over, the train exits the trench by speeding over the entrance road again via a final lower airtime hill (similar to the long and low hill found on Shambhala) before hitting the brakes and bringing riders into the exit station (there are two stations and three sets of blocks to help with throughput).

Now that that's out of the way, I'll share here my progress on my Chessington river rapids boat (since I've only posted it on my Twitter and Facebook so far):

BL2iRASCQAA_aMh.jpg:large

And what it's for...

KCRRV2_zpsb2a3cee6.png

(subject to change :p )

Anyone know how to accurately recreate terrain in No Limits? I want to try and build a better wooden coaster for the valley than the designs that Alton Towers came up with. :p

I've tried importing Google Earth terrain before but it's not very detailed.

I remember looking up things like this previously, I believe a program called Teragen works to create realistic terrain maps based on existing bump maps.

http://planetside.co.uk/

I downloaded it once before, but it was very daunting software, but if you're dedicated you could create something fantastic...
It's a lot like a program I made a while back that would take a bump map and display a 3d image of that terrain/map.

It was very simple...

Damn you BigAl... I always get a little giddy when I see you post in this topic... I get excited for a new update >.<

Ah thanks. :) I'll definitely be looking into this! I've been wanting to recreate the valley to build coasters for a good while now so if this programme can help then that's fantastic! I'd love to try a RMC woodie and an Intamin or B&M mega.

And haha, thank you very much! :p I didn't think people were that fussed about my stuff! Sorry I haven't got anything ready for an update yet. I'll try and get something ready soon.

I found a great photo on TT showing the scale of the valley next to the park. I'm guessing there's at least a 300ft drop there, can't wait to see what you do with it! ;)

above22.jpg

Been meaning to pursue this second enclosed lift idea for a while...

WindmillConcept_zps54ac93db.jpg

... it's kind of self-explanatory. :p

Mist!

Hornet-130805120756000_zpscb1970c5.jpg

That will actually become a tunnel with the queue running over it. I'll be adding more rocks around it and then adding grass with the same texture as the NL ground to the top. I'll also be creating a custom environment at some point to make larger trees and smaller plants.

Thought it's not visible, I've added more rocks to the ravines that the track runs through on the other side of the ride. Once that's done I'll be adding two bridges over the ravine (one before and one after the lift loop). I've got some logs and diggers to add to help create the theme / story too (from the 3D Warehouse).

The station itself will be the hardest to make, as will creating an entrance area and path out of the station than will run under the cobra roll and overbank turn back up to the entrance area.

Lots to do and it will all no doubt kill the ride until I can sort out a graphics card ready to film it for Youtube. :p

Here's a better look at my Windmill coaster... thing...

1082562_651756184837602_1501019015_o.jpg

It's a family roller coaster / dark ride (a scene for each of the 4 floors of the windmill) interacting with the 'Canal Boat Ride' and 'Barn Dance' (will either be a carousel or some other circular shaped ride).

The coaster probably won't stay as 'Scenic Railway' but that's what it'll be known as for now. But anyway, it's a railway style ride through a scenic setting. What more do you want? :p

I've got to say, your designs are fantastic. I love that windmill structure in the last picture. Makes it feel like it is a proper coaster in construction. Looks wicked too. If you don't mind me asking, what additional tools do you use when you design your coasters.

Thanks! It's great to know that my designs and whatnot are appreciated, even if I do take forever to finish most of them! :p

All I use besides No Limits is Sketchup for theming and Anim8or for sorting out the theming (removes the black faces that Sketchup makes). With logos I usually just use Microsoft Office, or Photoshop if I want something a little fancier.

BigAl said:
Here's a better look at my Windmill coaster... thing...

1082562_651756184837602_1501019015_o.jpg

It's a family roller coaster / dark ride (a scene for each of the 4 floors of the windmill) interacting with the 'Canal Boat Ride' and 'Barn Dance' (will either be a carousel or some other circular shaped ride).

The coaster probably won't stay as 'Scenic Railway' but that's what it'll be known as for now. But anyway, it's a railway style ride through a scenic setting. What more do you want? :p

He makes this and then, get this, downs himself about it! Silly silly silly BigAl, this is awesome!

New coaster design in't works:

1291152_663368287009725_741183611_o.jpg

1277817_663368310343056_1866526072_o.jpg

1237250_663368323676388_977047690_o.jpg

1278041_663368593676361_841206222_o.jpg

1264419_663368603676360_1512397899_o.jpg

1167124_663368600343027_811402110_o.jpg

1264650_663368687009685_2075887420_o.jpg

1275386_665545940125293_1719475035_o.jpg

1266958_665545916791962_1154174680_o.jpg

980533_665545920125295_1521488450_o.jpg

1243186_665546003458620_1065418464_o.jpg

1294475_667339313279289_691383299_o.jpg

1277941_667339303279290_1423558402_o.jpg

1278093_667339289945958_1613087492_o.jpg

1266186_667339366612617_498386414_o.jpg

Name: Gargoyle
Type: B&M Wing Coaster
Length: 2540 feet
Top Speed: 60 mph
Inversions: 4

Tried to come up with my own ideas and combine them with existing ideas out there, such as the Swarm's roll over the station (mine will be fully enclosed for a more theatrical experience for those off-ride) and the element over the road (currently two bars marking where it will go :p ) which will act as an entrance arch to the made up theme park (a bit Gatekeeperish).

The design is a bit odd (very long and thin), especially with the vertical lift and the two unique elements which follow.

Also started drawing a train design (that I probably won't finish) too:

1265881_662625517084002_488176431_o.jpg

And I finish with this...

1268694_666060483407172_1398393548_o.jpg

:p