• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: 2021 Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I know these issues do happen and are sometimes out of the park's control, but it is frustrating; especially given that the weather is perfect for it to run on a 2 train service this week.

Big One has to be more reliable, it's Pleasure Beach's main coaster and still the one almost everyone goes for. Again - I've no idea what has happened - but spending a fortune on the re-track for it to then be sat closed after one day of operation can't be a good thing.

Really not looking forward to it potentially being closed on Saturday, it's the main reason for me going. Just hope they manage to get it running again.

Hmmm...Park pretty quiet on opening day, I think there may be a simpler reason for the closure...not enough punters on the park to justify opening all the rides.
Anyone heard any reason why the ride is closed?
Seems to have been running fine on Monday.

Hmmm...Park pretty quiet on opening day, I think there may be a simpler reason for the closure...not enough punters on the park to justify opening all the rides.
Anyone heard any reason why the ride is closed?
Seems to have been running fine on Monday.
Of course, because closing the biggest coaster is a sure fire way of getting better gate figures!

Of course, because closing the biggest coaster is a sure fire way of getting better gate figures!
They never get high visitor numbers on weekdays outside the local school holidays, they have given up trying to push midweek, the focus is all about weekends and holidays.
The Beach has a reputation for not opening all the rides on off peak days, the National being one...takes a lot of staff to run the ride when the park is dead.
The Grand Prix being another.
Valhalla opening at 2pm on quiet weekdays, then having "issues" by 3, but managing to open all day at the weekend.
There were a number of "closed for high winds" days last year with little or no wind, especially during the week.
Monday was a very quiet day for opening day.
I bet Tuesday had half the number on park than the day before.
The Big One was running fine right through to close on Monday, when there were plenty of vloggers getting their go pro's out.
The ride will open without issues on Saturday, or Friday if the park is busy, but not before.

They never get high visitor numbers on weekdays outside the local school holidays, they have given up trying to push midweek, the focus is all about weekends and holidays.
The Beach has a reputation for not opening all the rides on off peak days, the National being one...takes a lot of staff to run the ride when the park is dead.
The Grand Prix being another.
Valhalla opening at 2pm on quiet weekdays, then having "issues" by 3, but managing to open all day at the weekend.
There were a number of "closed for high winds" days last year with little or no wind, especially during the week.
Monday was a very quiet day for opening day.
I bet Tuesday had half the number on park than the day before.
The Big One was running fine right through to close on Monday, when there were plenty of vloggers getting their go pro's out.
The ride will open without issues on Saturday, or Friday if the park is busy, but not before.
I'm not suggesting this is or isn't true, but keeping The Big One closed "because the park's quiet" during the first week of opening seems like an insane decision.

Surely it would make more sense to close a few of the less popular rides off peak and be up-front about it, rather than the park's signature ride?

Surely it would make more sense to close a few of the less popular rides off peak and be up-front about it, rather than the park's signature ride?

Or just be completely closed on off-peak days.

Or go back to pay-per-ride so guests are paying for something they aren't getting.

Or just be completely closed on off-peak days.

Or go back to pay-per-ride so guests are paying for something they aren't getting.
Indeed, it makes no real sense to me to be open on weekdays if they're closing the main rides. Ultimately just leads to worse guest satisfaction, word of mouth, people not wanting to visit (e.g. I'm put off my Saturday visit now).

I don't think pay per ride would work unless introduced alongside wristbands after COVID restrictions are no longer needed for gate figures, running the park as only PPR would probably not be a popular decision.

*EDIT: Big One has apparently started testing this afternoon.

Last edited:
I think the decision to open daily could possibly be tied to previous support from local government, as a condition of financial support in the past.
I don't know for certain, but as the park always used to shut on two weekdays, tuesday and wednesday mainly, until the middle of June.
Certain park managers have been screaming for closures on loss making weekdays, but the daily opening remains, and so do the losses on such days. There have been too many "losing" days for it to be just stubbornness from the senior power in the park, obligation due to previous loan agreements seems to be the only logical reason.
I think the Big One usually works on a team of six or seven, to cover breaks and lunch, same as the National.
What is better, shut one big ride due to "issues", or close three or four smaller rides.
Worse guest satisfaction...yes, but only for the couple of hundred people on the park who have actually paid for their entry on off peak weekdays.
I would love to see a return of an option to pay per ride, and despite repeatedly going on, I am well aware it isn't a realistic prospect.
Damn shame, those midnight closures of my youth are a long gone memory.

If you haven’t seen it, here’s the BBC Breakfast report from 9th April, featuring ride footage from Icon, the Flying Machines and the Big One, as well as interviews with various people who work for BPB, as well as a man who I think might be part of PBE:

I've heard that the wristband system has been ditched in favour of a phone-barcode system. Can anyone elaborate on how it works?

I've heard that the wristband system has been ditched in favour of a phone-barcode system. Can anyone elaborate on how it works?
Apparently, you now have a QR code on your phone that you’re sent prior to arriving at the park, and at each turnstile, a staff member with an iPad scans your QR code.

I should point out that you can still go to guest services and ask for a traditional wristband, if you’d like one.

Apparently, you now have a QR code on your phone that you’re sent prior to arriving at the park, and at each turnstile, a staff member with an iPad scans your QR code.

I should point out that you can still go to guest services and ask for a traditional wristband, if you’d like one.
Thanks Matt. How would you give everyone their code if you bought tickets for multiple people? And are they still doing passes and ride tickets?

Thanks Matt. How would you give everyone their code if you bought tickets for multiple people?
I’m not 100% sure, but I can only assume that you’re sent all of the QR codes for your party.

I’ll admit I’m not 100% sure on how the system works, however, so don’t quote me on any of this.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.