• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: 2023 Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
It wasn’t Viking themed. It is the reason that the soundtrack is somewhat disjointed in the context of the ride. That’s the reason it builds to a crescendo and then loops back to the start again, rather than blending in a more seemless loop a la traditional dark ride scores.

Staying at B[ou]l[e]v[ar]d for the first time tonight. Hotel is lovely but I wouldn't say sufficiently nicer than The Big Blue next door to justify the 50%+ premium.

Also the incidental charges are obscene now. £18/night for parking. £17.95 per person for breakfast. Not so long ago even the lowest rates at The Big Blue included both. Needless to say I shallnt be paying for either!

Will probably go back to Hampton in future, never felt like I'm being completely fleeced in there.

Eighteen pounds a night parking, or free parking all day every day at this time of year on the road across from the hotel.
Eighteen quid for breakfast...you can get two and a pint each in the Velvet just up the road for less money.
Oh how the other half live!
Yep indeed, I got a nice space opposite the Big Blue entrance, but even if there was none to have there you never have to go that far down Clifton Drive before you find something.

As well as charging obscenely I was told I'd need to book it the evening before... it's as if they want to put as many obstacles as possible to stop me parting with any cash. I'm rather partial to that Deansgate greasy spoon in town so they'll be getting some of my money this week.

Talking of revenue prevention - Blackpool very busy yesterday. I knows it's a gamble opening in February but seems a shame Pleasure Beach aren't in a position to take any money from them.

The ride control system on Valhalla does not allow boats onto both drops simultaneously, which is why boats will sometimes stop briefly before going down one of the main drops (less common in recent years due to the ride running fewer boats).

SF10 has no such interlock, sometimes you'll just get unlucky.
It does prevent boats going down the drops at the same time, however, there are still times when the splash from the other boat reaches you.

I've had a fair few rides on it where after going down the first forwards drop, the boat on the final drop has come down soon after and splashed a wave of water over us whilst we were mid-way through the water vortex.

Hot Ice show season passes are now down to £87 !!!! - They must be clearly selling like hot cakes :)

Platinum pass is back at £189.60 again.

Just over a month to go before we all start whinging about poor operations, rides closing early, opening times reduced at the last minute and why they don't have a pay per ride system. Crevettes in the sun is not far away gentlemen :)

Last edited:
Applied, sadly it is only a one day job by the sound of things.
Time to give the over sixties a shot...half a century of coaster testing experience.

Did you read it all @rob666 ? Note point 4 below. You better get yourself a passport.

The successful applicant will be required;
  • To test numerous rides at Blackpool Pleasure Beach and report on a number of key fun factors such as speed, thrills, and excitement levels.
  • To advise where they think improvements could be made to increase the fun factor on individual rides.
  • To work with the Operations Department if necessary to come up with fun and thrilling ideas for future projects.
  • To travel to other European parks to provide feedback and reports to Blackpool Pleasure Beach on other rides.

And what did you put in "Which ride at Blackpool Pleasure Beach would you most like to test?" -- Virginia Reel ? or Wild Mouse ? :)

It wasn’t Viking themed. It is the reason that the soundtrack is somewhat disjointed in the context of the ride. That’s the reason it builds to a crescendo and then loops back to the start again, rather than blending in a more seemless loop a la traditional dark ride scores.
The Valhalla theme music is not even original to Hot Ice - 'Song of the Elders' is actually a cover of an old Maori song, Tarakihi. I'd describe it as a very Western-ised cover - all the Maori lyrics have been replaced in the Hot Ice version by nonsensical vocals.

The original is pretty epic to watch! Here is New Zealand singer Kiri Te Kanawa performing with a Maori chorus:

The Valhalla theme music is not even original to Hot Ice - 'Song of the Elders' is actually a cover of an old Maori song, Tarakihi. I'd describe it as a very Western-ised cover - all the Maori lyrics have been replaced in the Hot Ice version by nonsensical vocals.

The original is pretty epic to watch! Here is New Zealand singer Kiri Te Kanawa performing with a Maori chorus:

So are you saying that the British Thompson business took something from the Maori people, made it worse and misappropriated it to the wrong culture for profit?

Never heard of something so empirically ridiculous before, don't know about you...

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.