• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: 2023 Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
It does seem to be very difficult to make money out of theme parks in this country.
I’ve always wondered why this is. Other European countries and other countries elsewhere in the world seem to, on the whole, have vastly more successful parks for their respective sizes than Britain. For instance, Plopsaland de Panne probably has guest figures no greater than Drayton Manor’s, but they recently built Ride to Happiness, a ride that looks to give Merlin a run for their money in terms of both hardware and theming. And they built Heidi, a decent-looking woodie, only 4 years prior, as well as a big hotel and waterpark, and there’s no obvious signs of financial struggles at that park, whereas Drayton Manor went bankrupt with similar guest figures and less pricey investments beforehand.

However, I wouldn’t say this is a general rule. Paultons Park appears to be doing well; they’re building multi million pound themed lands every few years with only 1 million or so guests, yet they have no obvious signs of financial problems. The Merlin parks, particularly Alton & Legoland, also do fairly well financially from what I can gather.

As far as I am concerned, PB have lost the plot.

I used to go twice a year. I didn't even bother once last year.

It's just a rip off relative to the investment in rides/attractions/entertainment/events the park offers. Especially when you add in the parking joke, the removal of some rides over recent years and the Enso situation.

The Beach lost the plot as far as organisation goes about forty years ago, with the death of the Reel.
Every few years, there is another..."Why the hell have they done that?"
Likewise financial headaches...roughly every decade there seems to be another fiscal wobbly.

As far as I am concerned, PB have lost the plot.

I used to go twice a year. I didn't even bother once last year.

It's just a rip off relative to the investment in rides/attractions/entertainment/events the park offers. Especially when you add in the parking joke, the removal of some rides over recent years and the Enso situation.
Whereas I went last year for the first time in 8 years and had a great day at BPB. Yes I miss the wild mouse but overall I had as good a time as at Alton Towers and a better day than Thorpe Park. Should have paid £33 but quite a bit of that was with Clubcard points, but I’d have been happy paying £33 as we had a full 10.30 to 5.30 in the park. I personally don’t have a problem with paying £35ish for AT or BPB.

Yes I don’t feel an urge to return to BPB for years again as there won’t be new attractions for a while but I’m the same with the other theme parks now too, rather go every few years when there are new things than repeating visits too close together nowadays, haven’t had an annual pass in yonks.

I think the parking situation is a bit mad but if you look at their options for change, it makes total sense that they have chosen 'none of the above'. There is lots of parking around the park, it's only fully utilised a couple of times a year.

Building a multi-story (almost certainly with borrowed cash) is doable but I am not sure it's a win really. I think the issue is more about awareness than capacity. The did try the trams from Central in 2005 or so, but that didn't work.

For all the people bitching about the prices, last weekend the park was a zoo and the car park was crammed too at £18 a spot.

Rumour has it Mandy has abandoned her Range Rover and swapped it for a new Defender.

Oh yeah, I don't dispute I am probably wrong. I am only speaking from my own point of view. If the new prices and offering is working, then who am I to question?

Only for me, it's not worth much of a visit now.

Apparently the park was indeed dead yesterday, on day that was really good weather for March.

Just think of all those F&B, parking, speedypass, clothing and tat sales they missed out on through moronic pricing.
Sunny Saturdays at this time of year used to be heaving.
Wake up, staycation is over.

I totally get the secondary spend argument, however if you see the speed at which F&B service has been operating in some outlets it’s probably for the best that there is nothing more than a trickle of customers.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.