• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: 2023 Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
It sounds as though the initial technical rehearsals last month were a mere blip; the improvement in reviews has been really quite drastic!

On a ride like Valhalla, each run can seemingly be quite different from the last in terms of what effects are working, so it might be hard to form an assessment of it from just one or two rides. With that being said, it does sound as though some people’s initial fears of the ride reopening as a shadow of its former self were unfounded, as the reviews have been brilliant and it sounds like there have been loads of effects installed and refurbished!

On a side note, I’m now convinced that an awful lot must have been broken on the one occasion I rode Valhalla V1 back in 2019, because I’m hearing people who know the ride a lot better than I do talking about certain effects and I have no idea what they’re talking about…

Out of interest, when was the last time the Ring of Fire ran before the past few days? I never saw it working, and based off of people’s surprise at it being back, it sounds as though it hasn’t worked in years.

Out of interest, when was the last time the Ring of Fire ran before the past few days?
The only time I've seen it working was 2016. Only the frame around it was working when I went 2017 but I think it was working at times. Last two years nothing, I don't know if anyone else can vouch for it though.

Regarding the other dark rides Wallace and Gromit still has some blank spaces, I know there's a new short film due soon so it would be nice if they could squeeze in something from that.

The Ghost Train they've been altering regularly the past decade so maybe just continuing to update and modernise scenes as they go.

I think with River Caves as its all seperate scenes they could take the same technique and refresh section by section.

Alice as its a continuous story they'd probably have to do it all at once which could be costly and a lenghty process.

It sounds as though the initial technical rehearsals last month were a mere blip; the improvement in reviews has been really quite drastic!

On a ride like Valhalla, each run can seemingly be quite different from the last in terms of what effects are working, so it might be hard to form an assessment of it from just one or two rides. With that being said, it does sound as though some people’s initial fears of the ride reopening as a shadow of its former self were unfounded, as the reviews have been brilliant and it sounds like there have been loads of effects installed and refurbished!

On a side note, I’m now convinced that an awful lot must have been broken on the one occasion I rode Valhalla V1 back in 2019, because I’m hearing people who know the ride a lot better than I do talking about certain effects and I have no idea what they’re talking about…

Out of interest, when was the last time the Ring of Fire ran before the past few days? I never saw it working, and based off of people’s surprise at it being back, it sounds as though it hasn’t worked in years.

It’s pretty clear that a lot of the people who are now giving rave reviews to Valhalla haven’t actually ridden the original ride much, if at all. I wouldn’t therefore base your opinion on their reviews. I’d much rather trust the excellent reviews of people like @Rick.

After another few rides today I came to the conclusion that if you’ve never ridden before then you are of course going to think it’s fantastic - mostly because all of the original effects are so good and are also working. If you’re a grizzled veteran then it’s probably a bit of a letdown that the ride has been closed for so long, seemingly mostly for maintenance. After you’ve gotten over that though, it has to be said it’s great to have it open again and it is a great ride despite the ridiculous wetness.

If the ring of fire continues to work, I’ll be riding a lot more regularly than before its closure.

I can probably count on one hand how many times I've ridden Valhalla over the years, it's one I have often avoided due to how wet you get. I first rode it on a family trip as a kid (at the end of the day for some reason, sitting on towels in the car all the way home) and then have done several times in my enthusiast years so to speak. I'm honestly not sure if I have ever seen the ring of fire working, it sounds spectacular so it would be great if they can keep it going.

If it continues to run well over the coming months, I may well consider a ride on my next visit!

I did however watch a bit of the rider footage on Shawn's video yesterday, and the audio experience in the ride does sound like a bit of a downgrade. It's very quiet at times, and doesn't have that same epic feeling that the old soundtrack gave. Maybe this is less of an issue when you are riding.

I did however watch a bit of the rider footage on Shawn's video yesterday, and the audio experience in the ride does sound like a bit of a downgrade. It's very quiet at times, and doesn't have that same epic feeling that the old soundtrack gave. Maybe this is less of an issue when you are riding.
I am not sure a GoPro is the best way to capture the feel of the audio in a ride, but irrespective of the quality of the "delivery" - the old soundtrack is iconic, I agree.

That said, two of the key criticisms of the ride in its early years (which I don't fully subscribe to, I must say) - was that there were no characters nor was there any narrative. This rework does try to address both of those things.

Fair criticisms of the original but like you, not sure I fully subscribe either. Some rides do lend themselves to telling a story as you go along; I'm thinking more track/trackless dark ride systems. On something more thrilling like a coaster or intense water ride (i.e. Valhalla) then the star of the show is the ride and its effects, and because of the thrilling nature it can be hard to follow any story that is told.

Its all good and well the ride running with 100% effects on a media day but the question is how will it run on a quiet rainy midweek day. Will they even bother to run half the effects.

While i didnt think the ride was fantastic on a quiet weds the curse at alton towers was running with the full effects smells etc.. which was great to see and roaming actors outside

It’s true to say that apart from the narrative which only seems to appear during the first half of the ride, there’s little in the way of the soundtrack you can hear except for in the station. I don’t mind the soundtrack itself, although it’s correct to say that it doesn’t reach the epic heights of the original.

Its all good and well the ride running with 100% effects on a media day but the question is how will it run on a quiet rainy midweek day. Will they even bother to run half the effects.

While i didnt think the ride was fantastic on a quiet weds the curse at alton towers was running with the full effects smells etc.. which was great to see and roaming actors outside
Quiet sunny midweek day (today, 2 days after "Valhalla is officially open!!") it still hadn't opened by 3pm. I hear it was similar yesterday too. The board at the entrance showed no opening time, just 5pm close - I didn't bother asking the staff member when it was opening. Shame, hopefully at the weekend it actually opens earlier in the day.

Yesterday, Valhalla staff on the gate were saying open ‘from 3’ but there was no mention of opening time on the board. It was a really warm sunny day so I can’t understand them only operating it for 2 hours. Even Noon or 1pm wouldn’t be too bad. But 3pm on a warm sunny day?! I guess they’ll only extend when a certain number are on the park

Otherwise the ride is superb in its current state. Very impressed with it all. I can’t say I’m greatly bothered by the audio. It was just a huge amount of fun, glad I had a change of clothes in a locker, as it had even gone through my ‘waterproofs’. My friend was a first timer, loved it, and we did 4 rides back to back. Utter carnage

Running six boats, which isn't entirely unexpected, but it does make even a fairly short queue a bit painful.

So ... Which effects were working today ?

A) nothing - Stormforce 10 in the dark
B) most but no fire
C) all bar three or four
D) all bar one or two
E) every effect in the whole ride

E (!)

Every. Single. One ... including the second fire blast on the camelback run out that was off on media day.

Was riding with a boat full of Valhalla virgins which is always a joy, but for folks to see it at its best is well worth ducking out of work early and heading to the coast.

Am I being cynical when I say I think the ‘from 2/3pm’ openings are cost related? On the media day it ran all day without a hitch but now it’s got ‘technical problems’ every single day? Hmmmmm seems unlikely. It’s well known that running Valhalla takes up as much energy as running the rest of the park combined, so I think it’s late opening is just cause they can’t afford to run it all day, every day?

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.