• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: 2023 Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Anyone know what was up with the Big One today? Showing. 40 min que earlier and shortly after showing closed on the app all day. Surely wasn’t that windy up there today?
About 3pm there were engineers in the lift chain motor room, either a coincidence or it was down because of an issue with the lift.

I keep hearing rumours that the motor wasn't designed for customers of the current size, and cuts out when it gets hot due to overburden.
I must say that I was told this by a member of staff that has often told big fat lies for his own amusement for many years.

What’s the crack for Dora? Have they potentially lost the IP. She doesn’t do meet and greets anymore and the rides been closed sometime now? Hmm.

Couple of rides on Valhalla yesterday and there are a slew of broken effects, including:

Pitch blackness on the water vortex
Steam tunnel very minimal
Absolutely no fire at all
Arrows not working
No light/must effect on the drop

Pretty disappointing.

Valhalla is definitely living on borrowed time.

When all the effects work it's a very good ride.

But it seems that even after a 3.5year refurb the same problems remain. Sporadic effects, ride breakdowns, unacceptable level of wetness.

I give it about 3 years. 5 at most.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

It's still a very good ride even without some of the effects working, and I think for most of the public that's all they care about.

I think 90+% of the people riding it don't know what's there and what isn't. Always been the case.

I've never bought the argument that people don't know what's meant to work in a dark ride and therefore it's fine to have broken effects.

Valhalla is advertised as a behemoth of special effects and if people have a ride with lots not working, they'll have a worse impression than us, as they'll not realise the ride is meant to do more.

You surely want people coming off it absolutely amazed and wowed, rather than it just being a fun water ride.

I've never bought the argument that people don't know what's meant to work in a dark ride and therefore it's fine to have broken effects.

Valhalla is advertised as a behemoth of special effects and if people have a ride with lots not working, they'll have a worse impression than us, as they'll not realise the ride is meant to do more.

You surely want people coming off it absolutely amazed and wowed, rather than it just being a fun water ride.
Thing is though if an effect is not working they won't know about it to be disappointed about it.

I know what I mean 😂

Thing is though if an effect is not working they won't know about it to be disappointed about it.

I know what I mean 😂
True, but with Valhalla in particular it's very obvious when an effect is broken as there is nothing to fill the gap. You just go through the scene awkwardly with nothing happening, and it's usually obvious that there should be something there.

Plus, it's the difference between a fun water ride in the dark and a world class, crazy dark ride experience. It still makes a big difference even if people don't know specifically what is missing.

True, but with Valhalla in particular it's very obvious when an effect is broken as there is nothing to fill the gap. You just go through the scene awkwardly with nothing happening, and it's usually obvious that there should be something there.

Plus, it's the difference between a fun water ride in the dark and a world class, crazy dark ride experience. It still makes a big difference even if people don't know specifically what is missing.
It is only obvious that something should be there if you know something should be there.
Lots of dark rides have dark segments where nothing happens.
The vast majority of punters think of it as a flume in a shed in cheesy Blackpool.
Because that is exactly what it is.

It is only obvious that something should be there if you know something should be there.
Lots of dark rides have dark segments where nothing happens.
The vast majority of punters think of it as a flume in a shed in cheesy Blackpool.
Because that is exactly what it is.
Disagree, I think you're giving people too little credit.

When you have a huge facade like that, and you have the ride advertising special effects and a theatrical experience, I think it's obvious that it's meant to be more than just a log flume in the dark.

Again I come back to, if you were Pleasure Beach surely you would want people to see it at full potential and be absolutely amazed, rather than seeing it half-baked and it therefore being forgettable. Surely they would want people telling everyone how amazing it was seeing real fire, explosions, etc.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.