• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: 2023 Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Stayed at the beach 'til the fireworks. Went on Icon x 1 Enso x 1 Big One x 2 Nash x 1 Flying Machines x 1 Valhalla x 1 Big Dipper x 1 Steeplechase x 1. Had a few pints on the Coasters balcony and one in Lokis.
Think I may have spotted you with the pints on Coasters... not quite the same view as with a pint at Europa though?

Actually quite glad the weather was miserable yesterday as it made for a decent ride count without trying.

The middle-row seats make such a pleasant and almost enjoyable difference on Dipper and Nash.

Big One very unpleasant as it warms up with the lateral slamming.

Ghost Train - the train scene totally bodged by the lack of audio.

Valhalla - I think we managed to get most of the effects working on our ride; my first since the refurb. At just over an hour, it's certainly the longest I've queued for it. The biggest improvement takeaway for me is the lighting on some of the theming - it doesn't just feel like riding through a pitch-black warehouse being drowned anymore. With that said, it felt a lot more... janky? The boat was slamming against the walls repeatedly for seemingly no reason even on the straight sections. The soundtrack could be louder inside though - we were having to recite the old soundtrack on one of the lift hills to make up for it.

There was quite a tartan invasion yesterday.
Kept seeing likely bunches of thoosies, get a little nearer...no, not the Towers street lot, all have Scottish accents.
Three times!

Looking forward to my trip next Sunday and catching up with all the usual suspects.

It will be nice to get back to the UK's best coaster (and no I don't mean Icon), best dark rides and best value park

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Had an enjoyable day at the park yesterday for my annual visit.

Overall, Pleasure Beach isn't really my bag (it never has been) and I find the state of a lot of the park appalling. The hub is absolute awful, the ride losses over many years has only made the park worse and many views/areas are unpleasant. For example. queuing for Alice at opening time to see the litter from previous days and the general unkept nature under the ride area is typical of the park. Everywhere it smacks of a lack of care and I have also found staff at the park very hit and miss. Some are lovely, some act like cowboys.

That said, there were some positives. It's great to have Valhalla back and the ride is still as good as it was. However, I can't say it's any better. It's not worse either. But for a long closure, I didn't get off thinking 'isn't it wonderful what they have achieved during the closure'. It's just some changed scenes, a few cosmetic changes.

Icon, Pepsi Max Big One, Big Dipper, Grand National have never been coasters that have threatened my top 100 (at least, not since I have increased my coaster count) and none still do. I struggle to get excited by any of the coasters in the park. I used to, however. But the one that excited me was removed without warning.

it's also galling to see throughputs at PB. It's just as well the park isn't particularly busy a lot of time, as many rides just can't handle many guests at ALL and throughput has been reduced over the years with very few boats on River Caves and that isn't the only example.

W&G is a delight. And the rotisserie chicken at Loki's was yum.

Overall, PB. Meh. It's fine I suppose.

Has anyone ever been to pleasure beach alone? If so what's it like?

Tempted to go this week
All my visits (25) this year have been alone. Absolutely fine. Great to have the freedom to do what you want, when you want it.

I should probably mention though, I enjoy doing things solo.

The hub is absolute awful, the ride losses over many years has only made the park worse and many views/areas are unpleasant
I deliberately avoid the fountains and surrounding area, grim would be the best word I can think of. Take a ride on PB Express and see the sheer amount of things which shouldn't be public facing. The skip round the back of Big Blue has been there all season. Discarded paint tins, life-expired ladders, and general junk.

Everywhere it smacks of a lack of care and I have also found staff at the park very hit and miss
Got the strong impression this year that most staff don't care anymore, bar a small section who vehemently do

very few boats on River Caves
7 I think it is. One of them isn't in a great state of repair.
River Caves is probably one of my favourite rides in the park, but god it makes me sad - The roof leaks in numerous places. Near the start, there's a section of the trough which causes the boats to lurch sideways. There's a random 5 litre plastic bottle, containing a fluid, with a chain around it less than a minute into the ride. Shortly later, one of the scenes has hazard tape at eye level, presumably as there's an emergency exit behind it. The base of the statues in the Egypt scene falling apart, although I know they tried to cover it earlier this year. The elephant to the left of the lift hill, and the hosepipe next to its legs. Or you can look to the right to see the back of the building's facade, as the black curtain has almost entirely perished.

Ghost train is only marginally better. The display immediately on entry very rarely works, the shaking mirror often has no video, and the lighting after the downwards lift hill appears to have an intermittent problem where it resets at the wrong time.

Wallace is a delight....when it works
Had a couple of queueline evacs recently on Wallace, don't know what the issue is but seems to be increasingly regular - seems to spend a lot of time closed

Not knocking anyone's opinions here, but why do some of you guys rate W&G so highly? I've always thought it was a pretty naff re-theme? Lots of black walls, a few static scenes which have just been plonked in and no story or cohesiveness.

Personally I preferred the Gold Mine but I just wondered why people like it so much? Not a bad ride mind, I just wouldn't rave about it.

The website now has opening times posted for all weekends next year. (But no midweek dates up yet). If the times are correct then the late closing next year is......

May 25th . 9pm
July 27th. 10pm
Aug 10th. 9pm
Aug 24th. 10pm
Sep 21st. 9pm

Very poor show for a seaside park. Not sure why they have one in September? They have one in September this year aswell. Seems a bit random to me. Wouldn't it be better to have it at half term week in October?

Last edited by a moderator:
Not knocking anyone's opinions here, but why do some of you guys rate W&G so highly? I've always thought it was a pretty naff re-theme? Lots of black walls, a few static scenes which have just been plonked in and no story or cohesiveness.

Personally I preferred the Gold Mine but I just wondered why people like it so much? Not a bad ride mind, I just wouldn't rave about it.
I don't think Wallace is a bad retheme but the loss of the magnolia cafe and the interactions with gold mine, river caves and the cafe is something I really miss.

I hope they bring that aspect back one day, whenever the ride gets rethemed again. But if it takes as long as last time I probably won't be around to see it.

^
Double post, whip him...hard.
He's from Yorkshire, he can take it.
Aug 10th and September are the end of the tartan summer invasion, and their half term mate.

Certainly had fun at BPB on Saturday, and was grateful that the poor weather meant little or no queues for the most part. The Big One remains atrocious, Big Dipper was fun but you really do get thrown around, I bailed on Nash for the benefit of my back, and Icon on the front row in the rain was a great warm up for Valhalla...!

Speaking of Valhalla, I was pleased to get on it again. It's been such a long time since I last rode it. I have no idea how many of the effects were working, but I'd say most probably were. Clearly the reason it was closed for so long was due to financial issues in doing the work, not time needed to do any work on it. Not loads has changed to be honest, it's not like going on say Alton Manor and being able to see where all of the money has gone. Audio in the ride is a lot weaker now, they should bring back the original soundtrack for at least parts of the ride.

Needless to say you still get annihilated by water, but thanks to many waterproof layers I kept my clothes dry and even managed to stop my shoes from getting ruined.

The chicken at Loki's was delicious, and nice to be able to have a pint in a glass.

As Dan has said, much of the park is a real state. They clearly do not have the money to do much about it, which is a shame. Still, it's always a good laugh.

I'm assuming some on the forum have ridden Enso before. I'm sure this has been discussed when it opened but what's it actually like? Is it better than Icon? Is it worth the money?

I completely agree, if you've never seen the W&G films the ride would make no sense. It is just static scene followed by black. At least the gold mine felt like a mine as it had the rockwork lit up.

I'm assuming some on the forum have ridden Enso before. I'm sure this has been discussed when it opened but what's it actually like? Is it better than Icon? Is it worth the money?
No idea, I'm not paying what they charge to ride it. I'm sure it is a great experience though. Didn't seem to be many people at all riding it on Saturday, all it does is reduce capacity on Icon.

Imo its the best ride experience in the UK especially when sat solo, however is it worth what they charge? Absolutely not and I don't recommend it, no point paying £15 for one singular ride when you pay like £39 to get in.

I've done it three times and each time it was a blast but honestly I really wish Icon was just left alone, this is just targeting people's wallets because they know not everyone wants to travel to Belgium for ride to happiness (not that enso is as good).

this is just targeting people's wallets because they know not everyone wants to travel to Belgium for ride to happiness (not that enso is as good).
I was thinking it'd be somewhat like RTH but not as good. Honestly if it's even close to RTH then it's definitely got to be the best experience in the uk

W+G love from me personally is because of the films. The ride might be a bit crap but the films are so lovable I forgive a lot.

Vekoma still make inside track like PMBO for their mine trains, instead of Taziker can we have them do it? Possibly even provide some new and improved rolling stock as well. A pipe dream.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.