• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: 2023 Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I think that's definitely part of it, it's a new experience using an existing asset - the 4D Cinema or Simulator model.

Also agree that it will be subjective, not least because there seems to be, for now at least, a significant variance in how much it spins.

I have tried to like Icon, I just don't get it. That said, I would concede that it's as much about what it could have been rather than what it is.

I presume this preview weekend is the lead up to a official press launch with some actual celebrities invited to promo it, rather than leave it to the vloggers to get the word out?

I presume this preview weekend is the lead up to a official press launch with some actual celebrities invited to promo it, rather than leave it to the vloggers to get the word out?
Thing with the vloggers though is that they are free, it's completely free advertising while pleasure beach will have to pay for actual celebrities to be there.

You can argue that this is a cynical move with the park cashing in. You could also argue that this is a commercial move made by a park that keeps on recording losses, and is trying to get something new without investing much, and another revenue stream. The problem is that most customers aren’t going to know or care which one it is. They’re just going to see something else they have to pay extra for, and possibly a slightly slower moving queue.

In some ways you could say that this is no different from Europa Park charging extra for their VR, or things that many other theme parks do. I suppose because Blackpool Pleasure Beach hasn’t had loads of new stuff recently, more attention is going on this. Low throughputs are a problem at the Pleasure Beach, so you could argue that they need to do everything they can to maximise them.

On the flip side, if the idea is to get something ‘new’ for people to talk about, then it’s done that.

I suppose it depends partly on what you mean by the enthusiast circles. For example, Theme Park Worldwide did a video about it the other day and it has 57,000 views. To be fair, that's only a few days worth of the park's capacity, even if they all visited, but quite a few people will have heard about this. With all of these things, we never will know whether it's helped to bring in extra visitors, because there isn't a parallel universe with an Icon that isn't getting a spinning car. It feels like parks have to do something to create a conversation.

I suppose it depends partly on what you mean by the enthusiast circles. For example, Theme Park Worldwide did a video about it the other day and it has 57,000 views. To be fair, that's only a few days worth of the park's capacity, even if they all visited, but quite a few people will have heard about this. With all of these things, we never will know whether it's helped to bring in extra visitors, because there isn't a parallel universe with an Icon that isn't getting a spinning car. It feels like parks have to do something to create a conversation.
Plus remember that TPWW's fanbase is international, and of course anyone from outside of the UK would be able to watch videos of the spinning seats.

PBE have posted a train mounted POV looking at the spinning seats. Looks pretty poor.

I actually think that looks pretty decent, there's some good spinning in places there which will no doubt enhance the ride experiencer. Sounds like the bigger issue is the lack of spinning when you have two people riding together.

PBE chaps have put out a video on the speculation of the next coaster. Apparently whispers and rumours have started that the much rumoured arcade site is set to be demolished over the next 18-24 months.

Scott seems to have suggested a Dive Machine which I find highly unlikely. I wouldn't be against it but with Towers having Blivy I doubt they would go there.

Mack Big Dipper or RMC Single Rail would be my bet for whenever it does happen.

I've heard of various rumoured new attractions that were meant to happen after Icon opened. None of them have materialised. I take any rumours of new major investments at BPB with a huge pinch of salt!

I actually think that looks pretty decent, there's some good spinning in places there which will no doubt enhance the ride experiencer. Sounds like the bigger issue is the lack of spinning when you have two people riding together.
I have seen a clip on Facebook of a fairly large chap that seems to have got a good spin going whilst going through the inversion. So I think the best plan is to ride on your own and be about 20 stone.

Wasn't there also a rumour a while back of the park possibly moving the main entrance to the seafront near where the bowladrome and nearby staff car park currently is ?

I would much prefer a new coaster though.

I think a new major coaster at Blackpool anytime soon is very unlikely, they simply don't have the cash or ability to pay off an even larger loan. Icon just didn't bring in the guests and make the park the money they needed. Perhaps once they've paid off a large chunk of the Icon loan they can start looking but whatever they build they need to build it was marketing in mind first and everything else second if they want it to be successful.

I've heard of various rumoured new attractions that were meant to happen after Icon opened. None of them have materialised. I take any rumours of new major investments at BPB with a huge pinch of salt!
As do I but it's a pretty desperate position they now find themselves in. The park relies heavily on very old attractions and obviously visitor numbers could be much much better too.

I think they need to invest in major attractions far more often than they currently do.

I think one of the core issues that the park has it that is incredibly expensive to operate - in part for reasons of their own making, like their frankly bizarre approach to staffing, but there are also some real issues that are intrinsically linked to the park, its location and some of its attractions.

I am certainly not suggesting that I want to see the back of any (more) historic attractions, but those things are incredibly expensive to operate and maintain, I do think more is not necessarily better from a sustainability perspective. Adding more 'stuff' to the operation, staff and maintenance budgets would be an interesting move when overall they have really tried to reduce each of those for the past 18 years.

The money that they have spent on the Big One and Grand National this winter will be well into six figures and when they're not spending 7 figures refurbishing Valhalla, they're spending an eye watering amount on operating it.

It's no secret that revenue isn't as healthy as it once was and the park faces all the cost pressures that most businesses are dealing with at the moment. The minimum wage and energy price rises are difficult for parks that employ lots of people and use lots of energy.

I think one of the core issues that the park has it that is incredibly expensive to operate - in part for reasons of their own making, like their frankly bizarre approach to staffing, but there are also some real issues that are intrinsically linked to the park, its location and some of its attractions.

I am certainly not suggesting that I want to see the back of any (more) historic attractions, but those things are incredibly expensive to operate and maintain, I do think more is not necessarily better from a sustainability perspective. Adding more 'stuff' to the operation, staff and maintenance budgets would be an interesting move when overall they have really tried to reduce each of those for the past 18 years.

The money that they have spent on the Big One and Grand National this winter will be well into six figures and when they're not spending 7 figures refurbishing Valhalla, they're spending an eye watering amount on operating it.

It's no secret that revenue isn't as healthy as it once was and the park faces all the cost pressures that most businesses are dealing with at the moment. The minimum wage and energy price rises are difficult for parks that employ lots of people and use lots of energy.

It's poor management then. There are historical rides worth saving and some are just not worth the bother.

Personally I wouldn't lose a seconds sleep if Steeplechase was closed for example. It might be a fairly unique ride type these days but it's rough as hell and offers very little in terms of thrills anyway. Sentimentality will be their undoing.

Derby Racer on the other hand is a historical ride that probably doesn't take up too much budget to keep it operating and is worth saving. Revolution is another that is probably worth the trouble. Doesn't take up much of a footprint and still offers a decent ride experience.

Their new ride choices haven't all been that great either. That Red Arrows ride is quite possibly the dumbest decision they have ever made. It's utterly boring and a throughput nightmare.

Nothing wrong with Icon as such except they clearly forgot to market it.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.