• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: 2024 Discussion

Genuine question (and apologies, i do like to speculate. Gets away from thew general negativity surrounding BPB)(Also, if this question needs to go elsewhere, i'm fine with that)

What are peoples thoughts on the Intamin Hot Racer? Anyone ridden it?

Do you think this could be a good addition for BPB in the Grand Prix space. Could you theme it to Grand Prix as a nod to the OG ride?
An Intamin Hot Racer or RMC single rail would be fantastic for PB. Visually they look great and would certainly be unique to the UK and I'm not sure if there are any in Europe either? I would imagine they would be affordable for PB unlike the Vekoma Tilt coaster and Jumbo B&M dive machine some people want.

A Single rail would also be easier to integrate into the restricted space they have at PB and it would offer a ride experience they don't currently have.

Last edited:
Impossible is indeed reopened as a walkthrough. I didn’t notice any significant work, but all reference to the swing including the entrance door have been totally removed

Overall operations seem good, I’ve decided to spring for Enso but am yet to see that train added which is a touch worrying. Big One is testing.

Walibi Rhone Alpes are opening a Intamin Hot Racer this year, and Walibi Holland are supposed to be opening two RMC raptors next year.

Don't think a Vekoma tilt coaster would cost anymore than those two types, plus Vekoma might have one (or 2)going spare now the Energylandia one seems to have been put on indefinite hold.

Should be more marketable, and the sort of thing that would go viral and draw public interest that way. Plus you'd hopefully be able to see it from outside the park.

Walibi Rhone Alpes are opening a Intamin Hot Racer this year, and Walibi Holland are supposed to be opening two RMC raptors next year.

Don't think a Vekoma tilt coaster would cost anymore than those two types, plus Vekoma might have one (or 2)going spare now the Energylandia one seems to have been put on indefinite hold.

Should be more marketable, and the sort of thing that would go viral and draw public interest that way. Plus you'd hopefully be able to see it from outside the park.
I think there's more chance of me being cast in hot ice than PB getting a tilt coaster. If Energylandia think it's too expensive what make you think PB have that kind of money?

I think there's more chance of me being cast in hot ice than PB getting a tilt coaster. If Energylandia think it's too expensive what make you think PB have that kind of money?
I'm sure you could pull it off...
1712076249952.png

And with Tilt Coasters... I'm pretty sure they are a bit of a fad. I would also imagine the upkeep and maintenance will be quite a bit more than a traditional coaster. Stick to launches and chains IMO.

There's loads of room in the park. Perhaps RMC they'd struggle but with things like B&M and Intamin, and to a certain extent Mack and Vekoma, with how their track support structures are these days (a few columns with the track being pretty well at supporting, vs Arrow style box truss everywhere), loads of room to have a huge extreme thrill coaster starting on Grand Prix site and then going high over the overpass, drop support column on Wild Mouse's grave, and around the buildings. Loads of room really for something big enough - and an extreme thrill is what the place needs after Icon (a decent family thrill, but it's a family thrill and was always intended as such)

Pleasure Beach is deceptive as they have way more room than you think - they just need to be creative in how it is used. In terms of their next coaster, I would love an RMC, or an extreme spinner, or a dive machine... but I think that from a 'getting people into the park' point of view, a swing launch coaster similar in height to Dragster is the safest bet. The GP would love it, it would be headline news and it should be less susceptible to wind than PMBO. And if they go for something at 120m-ish it would really be a phenomenal visual.

I got caught up in the comments section of a click-bait video which proclaimed Pleasure Beach to be a disaster, and ultimately went onto state that Alton Towers was just better. The main just for the argument was that 1. Opening Day didn't go well. And 2. Pleasure Beach is in Blackpool. The latter part of this argument is prevalent in the coaster-nerd community, and as much is Amanda seems to be trying to raise the standard of the park with lovely shops and better eateries she will never change that mind set. So to get people in the park, they need to be bold and just go big and give good value.

Pleasure Beach is deceptive as they have way more room than you think - they just need to be creative in how it is used. In terms of their next coaster, I would love an RMC, or an extreme spinner, or a dive machine... but I think that from a 'getting people into the park' point of view, a swing launch coaster similar in height to Dragster is the safest bet. The GP would love it, it would be headline news and it should be less susceptible to wind than PMBO. And if they go for something at 120m-ish it would really be a phenomenal visual.

I got caught up in the comments section of a click-bait video which proclaimed Pleasure Beach to be a disaster, and ultimately went onto state that Alton Towers was just better. The main just for the argument was that 1. Opening Day didn't go well. And 2. Pleasure Beach is in Blackpool. The latter part of this argument is prevalent in the coaster-nerd community, and as much is Amanda seems to be trying to raise the standard of the park with lovely shops and better eateries she will never change that mind set. So to get people in the park, they need to be bold and just go big and give good value.
I wonder if Zamperla might provide a slightly cheaper option. Throw in some flats as well.

So in their wisdom, pleasure beach have decided to increase their prices while at the same time cutting their opening hours yet again !!

At the start of the season all days were £33. This has now risen to £35, or a whopping £43 on a Saturday !!

Almost all days up to the last week in July are now 5pm closes. (other than 9pm on the 25th of May & 6th of July, and weekend 6pm closes in July)

The main summer holidays are now a mix of 6pm and 6.30pm closes for all days other than Saturdays, which are either 7,8 or 9pm.

It gets worse every year.

Last edited:
So in their wisdom, pleasure beach have decided to increase their prices while at the same time cutting their opening hours yet again !!

At the start of the season all days were £33. This has now risen to £35, or a whopping £43 on a Saturday !!

Almost all days up to the last week in July are now 5pm closes. (other than 9pm on the 25th of May & 6th of July, and weekend 6pm closes in July)

The main summer holidays are now a mix of 6pm and 6.30pm closes for all days other than Saturdays, which are either 7,8 or 9pm.

Shrinkflation The Ride 😂

Are they that eager to dig their own grave?

Let’s face it, the park is basically now operating as an inland theme park whilst attempting to present a seaside park’s lineup.

The park’s management has failed. And a
I’m not just talking about Amanda.
That is an interesting statement. I don't know if I agree or disagree with it because I don't fully understand what you mean.

If you are differentiating attractions which should be present at a place such as Towers and PB - I think you have missed the mark there. PB have several attractions which would fit very well at Towers.

In terms of the change in hours - it's madness. Where PB really should be coming into a world of their own is with evening hours - there is so much opportunity there to create a USP that no other park could match.

With the rise in ticket prices, I have a gut feeling that they have seen what Towers have done and tried to follow suit. Even with the price rise I still fully believe that PB is still a better value day out than Towers. The problem is always going to be that people put Towers on a pedestal simply because of the location.

I have lots of misgivings about the management of PB, but I wouldn't outright say they have failed... simply because the groups financials look sound enough. Better management should be aiming for better though.

You cannot blame the management, while the owner of the park overrules them.
Simple.
Known some ace management over the years at the Beach, going back fifty years.
All the really good ones walk in the end out of frustration.
Recent good managers have walked, the old South park manager walked out of frustration...made far more money flogging mobile phones.
No names, but he was very good indeed.
Likewise able staff and supervisors, what happened to the long line of Icon supervisors...seem to have got through quite a few...one now makes more money, and greater job satisfaction, cleaning trams...says a lot about how the park is run.
The old admissions manager was absolutely ace...walked...I don't think he ever failed to help when we had admissions issues...good, polite and efficient.
Wonder why all the good management seem to walk in the end???
Maybe they just can't deal with the owner.

Here's a quick question. Why is Blackpool part of that group of European Parks where you can use the annual pass? Also is it coincidence that Mack provided Icon? Could we see more of a long term plan to develop the park with better theming, rides, but this might be bumpy bit of needing to raise funds?

Why is Blackpool part of that group of European Parks where you can use the annual pass?
That is an agreement between a number of independent parks. PB's involvement is likely down to Amanda's involvement with groups such as IAAPA. It is a reciprocal agreement so no doubt the parks all feel it adds some sort of value to their offering.

Also is it coincidence that Mack provided Icon?
It depends what you mean by 'coincidence'? Amanda has stated her family has a friendship with the Mack family. Icon was a bespoke coaster designed for BPB, it was not inexpensive and as far as we know there was no special agreements between the two parties. It is normal for a number manufacturers to submit proposals for rides, and the park to choose the best. It is then the case that the book a 'slot' for manufacture which will be a few years down the line.

Mack is one of the more notable manufacturers at the moment, and as such I am sure it was felt that the park would be purchasing a quality attraction.

Could we see more of a long term plan to develop the park with better theming, rides, but this might be bumpy bit of needing to raise funds?

My view is the park is an Amusement park and should stick with that as it could offer a more unique USP. In terms of theming, I am sure you will see themed rides, and themed buildings - I doubt you will see themed areas out with the kids stuff. You talk about 'better rides' - I would argue that the ride line-up is better than the likes of Towers - so 'better' is subjective.

We have discussed funding at length in this topic. BPB fund new attractions through borrowing. This borrowing can come from a number of areas, and due to the council's reliance on the park for visitor numbers, deals have been done in the past to guarantee loans through government an the likes. So, raising funds is not the issue you think it would be - they would just need to have a robust business plan in place.

Things at BPB seem very rocky and 'in flux' at the moment. I'm sure it's most of our hopes that this could be down to a change in direction or some sort of restructuring. The worry is that it could be down to Amanda being... well... Amanda.

You cannot blame the management, while the owner of the park overrules them.
Simple.
Known some ace management over the years at the Beach, going back fifty years.
All the really good ones walk in the end out of frustration.
Recent good managers have walked, the old South park manager walked out of frustration...made far more money flogging mobile phones.
No names, but he was very good indeed.
Likewise able staff and supervisors, what happened to the long line of Icon supervisors...seem to have got through quite a few...one now makes more money, and greater job satisfaction, cleaning trams...says a lot about how the park is run.
The old admissions manager was absolutely ace...walked...I don't think he ever failed to help when we had admissions issues...good, polite and efficient.
Wonder why all the good management seem to walk in the end???
Maybe they just can't deal with the owner.

@rob666 you do speak the truth in a number of cases, however, I think it is important to remember that PB is a seasonal job. The likes of cleaning trams and selling phones is permanent - and comes with the benefits of that.

I've helped hire a number of people who previously worked at PB, and what I got from them is that a number of people at PB seem to have the same mentality as when the park was operating in the 80's and 90's. Ultimately, they treat people as a commodity who have should do exactly what is asked of them [even when to their massive detriment] and give nothing back. The management certainly need management training.

In terms of why Mack built Icon; I seem to remember hearing in an interview from around Icon’s opening that Mack, Intamin and Vekoma were shortlisted manufacturers. Apparently Mack had the weakest proposal of the three, but BPB picked them due to the “special relationship” between the two families.