• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: Pleasure Beach, Blackpool: General Discussion

With the greatest respect Scott, I feel like your posts are just personal attacks on Towers, baring a really unfair bias towards BPB. Looking back on this thread, I have seen nothing but praise and suggestions for what BPB could do – something I think we can all say is hard to find on CPBE about Alton (But that’s for another topic).

No-one is forcing BPB to tear out its rides, strip it of its history and simply replace them with state of the art modern steel coasters, or as you say, "boring B&M's". Wooden coasters are what make Blackpool Blackpool, and without them the UK would be severely lacking in a certifiably timeless coaster design, but all of this pails to utter insignificance in light of the fact that your posts are almost painful to read – we get it, Wooden coasters are great – but you add nothing constructive to the topic, just hundreds of reasons why Alton isn’t arbitrarily as good as BPB.

You could at least try adding to the discussion by still arguing your point without bringing any Towers deprecation or BPB glorification.
I understand it is your home park and you have all right to stick up for it; without a doubt if someone said "Nemesis needs tearing out and needs to be replaced with blah blah blah", I, and the rest of the coaster community, would stand our ground and argue our points without degrading Blackpool Pleasure beach while we do it.

This isn't a personal attack on yourself or BPB, this is just questioning the validity of your incessantly biased posts and why you seem it acceptable to attack Alton without looking at your own home park’s considerable faults first.

Just my thoughts but anyway! Can we back on topic now? ;D

I think maybe you need to stop being so upright about anyone saying something bad against the mighty Alton Towers.

I think you need to take your own advice, but switch BPB for Alton Towers.

Just because you say YOU think BPB don't need a new thrill coaster doesn't mean that other people can't have the opinion that they do. That's the whole point of a forum and debate.

In MY opinion, they do need a new ride to tempt ME back. Blackpool as a town is a dive and not somewhere I relish the prospect of visiting, so BPB is the only thing to draw me in. Riding the same rides every year doesn't thrill me. (see what I did there? ;) )

You have a go at me for being defensive about PB, but as proven with this topic, if anyone brings any sort of negative press about Towers into a debate, then the claws are quickly out.

I used Towers as an example, I don't have any other park to use as an example, because I don't really have many faults to pick with the other parks I've visited in the last few years except for Drayton tbh.

It shouldn't be Towers VS PB here. This thread is about PB. I have absolutely no idea why comparisons are being drawn to a park that is nothing even CLOSE to what PB is!

It's like arguing over the insulating properties of foam VS pineapple... doesn't make sense at all.

I couldn't care less about negative comments about AT, it's rapidly heading downhill and needs sprucing up. Paths are getting grotty, theme work is falling to bits and sagging, rides are looking worse for wear.

The key here is accepting that and not sticking fingers in ears and pretending there is no criticism about a park.

I'm sorry, but the sculpture garden was a mistake IN MY OPINION and looks pants as an entrance to the park. Why couldn't the park have paid a similar amount of money and bought a second-hand flat ride? A top scan, top spin, breakdance, anything! Something to thrill punters as soon as they enter the park.

Dar said:
I'm sorry, but the sculpture garden was a mistake IN MY OPINION and looks pants as an entrance to the park. Why couldn't the park have paid a similar amount of money and bought a second-hand flat ride? A top scan, top spin, breakdance, anything! Something to thrill punters as soon as they enter the park.

There's already a thrill ride by the park entrance, Ice Blast.

The gardens are there to give a better first impression to the average customer, a better first impression than an outdated Dodgems was giving.

Scott said:
Dar said:

The gardens are there to give a better first impression to the average customer, a better first impression than an outdated Dodgems was giving.

"Come and see our shiny sculptures! YAY!" ::)

Ice Blast is little more than an observation tower now, back when it was newer it was a thrill ride but not now.

I've paid money to get into an amusement park, with rides not sculptures. Put them outside the gates so they can be "enjoyed" by everyone. I really cannot see the logic behind removing an attraction, however outdated, and replacing it with sculptures.

If you're trying to improve your guest numbers, giving them less to ride makes less than zero business sense.

Scott said:
Dar said:

I've seen you admit before on PBE that the Ice Blast is nothing like it was before - in fact there is an entire long-winded topic about it; don't attempt to switch sides for the sake of argument now. The definition of a thrill ride, FOR ME, is something that submits you to such G forces or movement that you couldn't replicate anywhere else in everyday normal life. And once more, FOR ME, a 15 year old Space Shot ride no longer fulfills that criteria - the "blast" is no longer thrilling - the airtime has receded year on year until it is barely even noticeable anymore.

The same goes for the Steeplechase, as I said before; not sure why you thought I was taking the mickey? It's presumably the slowest "coaster" on park, and maybe the unique ride experience does more for others than myself - but I certainly don't find it enjoyable in the slightest. And to balance things out, I don't like Air either - for pretty much the same reasons.

Collectively all of these issues are reasons why I feel it justifiable to suggest that a new thrill ride is needed. The park has Nick Land now, and it will soon have the Wallace and Gromit ride - why can't it shift its focus to those that come for the thrills as suggested by the website description?

I haven't had a chance to fully look through each post in here so I'll take any necessary action tomorrow unless another moderator steps in before me.

So a quick reminder for EVERYONE - tone it down! Some posts in here are turning very argumentative, personal comments are being written as well as rude remarks being made to one another. If persistent rude arguments continue then we'll have no choice but to lock the topic and review it. By all means debate and form an argument. However act like adults and keep it constructive!

As always if any of you have issues with any posts for whatever reason then flag it. The team get notified on the Talk Index of any reports, and it also helps us with keeping track of things as well as being able to step in as quickly as possible.

Scott, for a lot of us, the lack of new rides at Pleasure Beach over the last ten years, that is the main gripe.

You might be fine with that but many of us want to see new attractions.

I can think of no other major park that I have ever visited which has had less new additions.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

It would be nice, as with any park, for Blackpool to gain new rides providing investment and to continue making a diverse family/thrill experience for all visitors rather than leaving it to the current rides.

Whilst it's great that they've updated the children's area into a new theme and using nationally beloved characters to replace a classic dark ride to gather more visitors for the family market with fairness to their aims being family based attractions right now, I do honestly believe that those two investments will not bring in the thrill market at the time being.

I realise that management will invest when the time is right but currently it does feel the park is missing something in that area and need a new balancing ride rather than expecting the woodies, the Arrows and Infusion to create that feeling, and for that a new flat would be a choice. One that is special, permanent and can meld in well with the park's heritage whilst retaining the 'new' title both as an attraction at the park and as a new model rather than second hand. An example would be a Huss Breakdance (regardless of South Pier) or a KMG Afterburner, both are popular and regarded as classics in the amusement park industry.

It's merely a thought that I don't expect the park to act upon.

As for the suggestion of a heritage centre, a place explaining the history of Blackpool would also be a good investment and it would make the public more aware of how special the park is as both a landmark and as a part of the amusement park industry. I know that the heritage is to be seen everywhere from the TVs to the Noah Ark entrance plaza but one collective and detailed place where time can be spent by visitors, family or thrill, understanding what rides/attractions/shows used to take place and what has built the park up to what it is today would be excellent.

I'm not sure what BP can do given the salt air, but the wooden coasters need a really good spruce up, they all look pretty rotton in my opinion.

Just a lick of fresh white paint could do the job temporarily but eventually I believe they either need another complete rehaul or...

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Fredward said:
I'm not sure what BP can do given the salt air, but the wooden coasters need a really good spruce up, they all look pretty rotton in my opinion.

Just a lick of fresh white paint could do the job temporarily but eventually I believe they either need another complete rehaul or...

A lot of the rides have had a touch up with paint this year, including the Big Dipper, Avalanche. Revolution has had a complete repaint and the Big One had a lot of paint work done to it last season.

As with people moaning at the Sculpture Gardens.... At least they look better than this.
463365319_bd88136b02_z.jpg

Yes it would be lovely to have new rides every 2/3 years and I agree that PB need to start looking at a new thrill ride in the next couple of years. However it is hardly going to happen at a family owned attraction.

Fredward said:

One thing I do remember them saying on a backstage tour is that they paint the wooden coasters on a rotational basis as unlike with steel coasters, each piece of the timber needs replacing after a certain period of time. For instance, the Nickelodeon Streak/Rollercoaster received extensive new wood at the end of 2010, so painting commenced at the same time. But I do agree, some rides' tracking (particularly the Dipper) does look a bit worn out at the moment.

Michael said:
As with people moaning at the Sculpture Gardens.... At least they look better than this.
463365319_bd88136b02_z.jpg

A matter of opinion as with the majority of views in this topic recently.

Upon entering PB, I'm found to be drawn in to looking at the sculptures. And whilst I'm on the band wagon that thinks they are a worthy investment, there isn't anything of a natural beauty about them. The main attention focus upon entering Towers is the Towers themselves from the top of Towers Street. Hence why I think Towers has the best view from the entrance in the country.

The frogs are a form of escapism. The only flaw I can pick out with them is the water they sit on top, and it could do with a more regular clean. I know they are also a very popular meet point for people throughout the day. I always hear people say "I'll meet you at the frog fountains" when arranging meeting points and such, whereas I have never heard somebody say "I'll meet you at the sculptures" whilst in PB. The frogs are iconic and do have a larger impact than probably intended.

Danny said:

Upon entering PB, I'm found to be drawn in to looking at the sculptures. And whilst I'm on the band wagon that thinks they are a worthy investment, there isn't anything of a natural beauty about them. The main attention focus upon entering Towers is the Towers themselves from the top of Towers Street. Hence why I think Towers has the best view from the entrance in the country.

When you enter a theme park you should be able to see roller coasters and rides, not tacky frogs.

The frogs are a form of escapism. The only flaw I can pick out with them is the water they sit on top, and it could do with a more regular clean. I know they are also a very popular meet point for people throughout the day. I always hear people say "I'll meet you at the frog fountains" when arranging meeting points and such, whereas I have never heard somebody say "I'll meet you at the sculptures" whilst in PB. The frogs are iconic and do have a larger impact than probably intended.

At Pleasure Beach you mainly here people saying I will meet you at the fountains. The Sculpture Gardens look modern and make PB look a lot cleaner and are much more welcoming than a dodgems ride.

Pleasure Beach, Blackpool: General Discussion

Michael said:
Danny said:

When you enter a theme park you should be able to see roller coasters and rides, not tacky frogs.
The point is not that you enter the park to see some 'tacky' frogs but that your eyes are drawn to the majestic ruins - to which the park gets its name. I can't think of a much more dramatic way to enter a park tbh! However I assume you would rather that the view were obscured by rides then?

Michael said:

I'm sorry, but I'm pretty sure you can easily spot Spinball from the bottom of Towers Street. Walking down Main Street USA at WDW is incredible with the castle at the other end, and any of the rides are hardly visible. Infact many people I've spoken to who have been there remember their first steps down Main Street as it is such a captivating scene. I much prefer seeing beautiful landscapes and well themed buildings than having rides cluttered at the entrance.

The entrances to parks make first impressions, and seeing the Towers from the top of Towers Street is enough to distribute positive factors to many first time and regular visitors.

Michael said:
Danny said:

*snip*

I agree the frogs look tacky, but I think you're downplaying the differences between a Themepark and an Amusement park. Themeparks are more about immersion and story telling, usually by setting highly detailed scenes with mass landscapes and the rides built to match or blend. Amusement parks however are much more organic and 'plop' rides wherever they fit.

One of the main gripes I have with the park at the moment is the seemingly random closure of historically important rides. I think it is an amazing shame that The Whip (and Fairy Whip), Turtle Chase and Noah's Ark* have been closed in the past 10 years. I know there are 'business reasons' behind all these closures, but surely at some point some things have to be more important than money. As has been said BPB has operated successfully for over 100 years, much of that century operating with these very rides and I would find it startling if all of a sudden at the turn of the millennium they all suddenly became unviable simultaneously.

The only silver lining being that (hopefully) these will all survive, several to reopen in Margate and the Noah's Ark as this heritage centre we've been hearing about. I just desperately hope that the Dreamland Project does come to fruition and that whatever happens to create the heritage centre at Blackpool doesn't inadvertently strip out the charm of the Ark.

The irony is of course that when Dreamland does reopen, it will draw some potential customers away from the Pleasure Beach. I know I for one will end up with a choice that it'll come down to heading either North or South for a short break, and looking at the the line-up Dreamland will hopefully be offering, for me it'll be weighted heavily towards the South at this moment, despite the fact it'd be more of a hassle to get there. And I can only imagine that this will be a recurring theme, that people who are looking for historic attractions will be forced to split their time between the South and the North.

Personally I think it is a shame the Thompsons couldn't have found a way to retain Southport to turn it into a Heritage Attraction (it certainly had credentials for this), thus allowing for the two to be enjoyed side by side rather than as an either/or scenario. But I suppose by this point it is all water under the bridge really, and there's no room for the old 'what could have been' scenarios.

*I'm just singling out these rides as the one's I personally find to be the most important of the recent closures. I know there have been similar gripes about the closures of the Log Flume, Gold Mine, Vikingnar, Super Bowl and Trauma Towers, but different people find different aspects to be more important, I suppose.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.