• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: Pleasure Beach, Blackpool: General Discussion

Adam said:
MiserableMonkey said:
In fact, I'd like you to name me just one theme park that does build a new rollercoaster every other year, because I doubt you'll be able to name one.

Hmm.. Flamingo Land possibly? Going off their recent track record - pun intended...

Zooom (2011), Mumbo Jumbo (2009), Runaway Mine Train (2007), Kumali (2006), Velocity (2005).

Oh! I'll have to give you that one! ;D

Astro said:
On a personal level, the addition of Infusion was of no interest whatsoever (although I appreciate for the general public and the parks marketing, it was presumably a great move).

This is exactly the problem with enthusiasts, for years people cried out that Pleasure Beach badly needed a new ride as they are doing now, and when they got one, the same people then decided to moan about the ride type. :-[

Astro said:
I know you love the Pleasure Beach, Scott - for its timeless and unique atmosphere, but even you would surely rather they invested in decent new attractions on a more regular basis?

It doesn't bother me no, I am quite happy with the way the Pleasure Beach is, when they build a new coaster it'll be great, but I don't care when it is or how long it takes.

As I keep saying, coaster enthusiasts think they know better than the owners and management of each and every park, they need to stopping picking at Amanda and Nick, they are not approaching the new ride situation that much differently than how GT did.

Adam said:
Both experiences were shortened extensively when put together, so they count as removals. You may have noticed I put Impossible in the new attractions list as a result of this.

How can something that wasn't removed, count as a removal? D'oh.

Adam said:
As yet, no future investments have been announced by the Pleasure Beach, so therefore any 2013 additions aren't not on the list.

Haven't you walked past the Goldmine/W&G site this year? It's quite obvious a replacement is coming.

Scott said:
Adam said:
As yet, no future investments have been announced by the Pleasure Beach, so therefore any 2013 additions aren't not on the list.

Haven't you walked past the Goldmine/W&G site this year? It's quite obvious a replacement is coming.

We all have, but the Pleasure Beach haven't officially announced it, so officially it isn't happening yet.

The number of people I've witnessed walk past it putting it down to maintenance, an arcade extension and "Oh look, they've had another fire" was unbelievable. They need to get the covers off those boards asap in my opinion. I just hope it's part of some clever marketing scheme.

@Scott: Has W&G officially been confirmed by the park yet? As I was under the impression that all the 2013 hoardings had been covered up. I don't doubt that the ride will be ready for next year though :)

----

As for the Pleasure Beach itself, I think it's a great park steeped in history with some fantastic heritage rides. The feature I actually like about the park the most isn't particularly the ride line up, nor is it the previously mentioned heritage, but it is actually the way in which all the rides have been piled on top of each other over the years. It's a fun fair on steroids and it is absolutely fantastic because of it. I love how the rides intertwine and interact and the entire crazy layout of the place is just fun.

I also appreciate that the park (thanks to its position) can somewhat guarantee a certain level of visitors due to those who only visit Blackpool annually or less frequently. However, for those that live closer, I would be interested to know what they think about the park's current line-up and whether it needs updating? I don't mean updating in the sense of getting rid of old rides, but updating in the sense that there hasn't been a new coaster in a while... It is great that the park has recently focussed on families with Nick Land having been a great success for the park and W&G also looking to be the kind of attraction that will entertain families for years to come. However, I do think that within the next 3-5 years the park ought to turn their heads back towards a big thrill installation.

After heavy family investment, it is only fair to assume that the park needs a thrill to come in (particularly with the recent loss of a thrill flat in Bling). I would assume that a thrill flat might enter the park in 2014 which would leave 2016 free for some kind of coaster IMO... It would be nearly 10 years since Infusion by then but it would also risk going against a new SW from Towers if they follow the three year cycle. Ideally, 2014 would be the perfect time for PBB to launch a new coaster as we know that 2015 is Thorpe's next and we can assume 2016 would be Alton's, however, we know this is highly unlikely.

Basically, the point I am trying to make is that PBB are doing great with family additions right now (Nick Land has proved this immensely) but after Wallace and Gromit the thrill-seekers need to be cared for. If a park is to keep everyone happy then no one group can be left out for too long - and too many years without a thrilling new ride may harm the park in the long term, because no matter how long the park has survived doing what it has always done, things have changed in the industry and unfortunately a lot of people expect faster, bigger and better... more often than they did before.

I've missed out on a few days of, err, 'interesting' discussion. Scott, when you're not posting in this topic, we all have a pleasant discussion about PBB, one of the greatest parks in the country. In fact, I consider it joint with Alton as the UK's greatest park. Many people on here would put it up there amongst their all-time favourite parks. We have pleasant discussions about how much we love the place, and we also discuss its shortcomings, like every other park.

Yet this seems to be a problem for you. I don't know why, because the discussion is usually very balanced, compared to the absurd bashing Alton gets on PBE. But people on TST liking the Pleasure Beach or even saying it's one of their favourite parks isn't enough for you. They're just stupid (or some other degrading throwaway insult) or not a 'real' enthusiast if they don't raise PBB to some absolutely faultless pedestal, a shining beacon of brilliance and excellence who can do no wrong, and whose every decision is a Kim Jong-il-esque stroke of genius from the Dear Leader. It seems if people have even the slightest criticism about the park, it warrants a dressing down from you.

As much as I don't want to encourage you, I must pick up on a few points...

Scott said:
PMBO, Infusion, Revolution, Avalanche and let's remember, Steeple is considered as three different coasters in the operating department at PB, as one lane can be signed off to run without the other two lanes even being looked at and signed off.

Oh come off it! It doesn't matter what PBB operations class it as, Steeplechase is one coaster when being compared against other parks. The ride experience on all three tracks is nearly identical. That makes it one ride, with three tracks. Pretty much the only dueling/racing coaster I've been on where the tracks are different enough to class as two different ride experiences for me was Duelling Dragons. I'm not insulting Steeplechase here - I love the ride and I think it's great that it's a triple racing ride. But it's one ride, no doubt about it. :)

Scott said:
Ok, if you want to talk about thrilling coasters, there is no way Air, Rita, Thirteen and Spinball can be considered anything more than family rides, none of them are remotely thrilling compared to any of the major coasters at PB or Thorpe to be honest.

The other three, yes, but there is no way Rita is a family ride. Even if it's tame compared to Stealth/TTD/whatever, the launch is still very physically intense, and places the ride very firmly in the thrill bracket. That is not a judgement on the ride's quality. You can have crap thrill coasters and great family coasters. But Rita is undoubtedly a thrill coaster - its launch is one of the most physically intense elements on any UK ride.

Scott said:
Physcoaster said:
What?! More than Nemesis or Oblivion?

Yep, a lot more, I'd rather ride the Grand National than those two coasters, it may seem shocking to the Towers fanbase because someone prefers a classic wooden coaster over two B&M coasters, but outside of the Towers community not everyone is so obsessed with the B&M bore machines of this world.

I rate Nemesis very highly, but there is better coasters out there, not sure if that's because I've got bored of it because I've ridden better coasters out there, or maybe Towers have done something to stop it running as well as it used to do? I don't know, but I know a lot of coaster enthusiasts who've travelled the world to ride coasters (and not just Europa Park), and rate Nemesis pretty low compared to other coasters out there, so I am certainly not alone in having an opinion that doesn't satisfy the Towers faithful as far as B&M coasters are concerned.

Well, someone's jealous! Yes, I bet you'd really hate it if the Pleasure Beach built a stonking great B&M. Boooo-ring!

I've never heard anyone but you say that Nemesis runs worse than it used to. Not a single person. And many people believe it runs slightly better every year.

Oh yeah, all those enthusiasts rank Nemesis really low. That's why it came 5th in the world out of 342 on Mitch Hawker (by far and away the most accurate measure of worldwide enthusiast opinion). Where did PMBO come? 202nd. I'm not saying MH is perfect, but with such a clear gap in the figures, it's unarguable that enthusiasts on the whole (pay very close attention to those words Scott) that enthusiasts consider Nemesis one of the best coasters ever built, while they consider PMBO one of the worst. I know there are a lot of rides behind it, but they're mostly TOGOs, or kiddy rides or off-the-shelf rides (i.e. stuff that you'd expect to be crap anyway). For an 213ft Arrow hypercoaster, still one of the tallest, fastest and longest coasters in the world, to do that badly is a pretty damning indictment of how appalling the ride is.

I'm sure you'll come back with your anecdotal evidence of some enthusiasts you know who think Nemesis is really overrated and whatever. It doesn't matter - by the most accurate barometer we have, enthusiasts on the whole (there it is again) consider Nemesis one of the greatest coasters currently operating in the world.

Edit: Just thought I'd point out, whatever I feel about PMBO, I vastly prefer it to Air, which I detest even more. Before you play the fanboy card.

Not surprised that the PMBO ranks so low - the thing is as one-trick as Oblivion. You go down the first drop and that's basically the ride for me. I know it was built as an "icon" and everything, but they could and really should have added at least one good airtime hill on it, the thing reaches 70mph!

Scott said:
Astro said:
On a personal level, the addition of Infusion was of no interest whatsoever (although I appreciate for the general public and the parks marketing, it was presumably a great move).

This is exactly the problem with enthusiasts, for years people cried out that Pleasure Beach badly needed a new ride as they are doing now, and when they got one, the same people then decided to moan about the ride type. :-[
hang on, isn't that exactly what happened when Thirteen opened? Oh yeah, it is. Just because enthusiasts want a park to build a ride, it doesn't ean we have to be happy when they do.

Scott said:
It doesn't bother me no, I am quite happy with the way the Pleasure Beach is, when they build a new coaster it'll be great, but I don't care when it is or how long it takes.

As I keep saying, coaster enthusiasts think they know better than the owners and management of each and every park, they need to stopping picking at Amanda and Nick, they are not approaching the new ride situation that much differently than how GT did.
Why? If we feel they're doing something wrong, we're free to say so. Find one person on here who says we need to stop picking at Merlin.

Scott said:
How can something that wasn't removed, count as a removal? D'oh.
Can you still go on those attractions? No. Therefore they were removed. He did count Impossible as a new attraction. Either way, that's a net loss of one attraction, and even if they shouldn't count as removals, it still doesn't change the huge net loss in the overall number of attractions.

Scott said:
Adam said:

As above. Doesn't change the huge decrease in available attractions. And as it's not 2013 yet it isn't eligible yet anyway. For 2012 with Goldmine gone, Blackpool are one ride down.

The Psychoaster said:
Not surprised that the PMBO ranks so low - the thing is as one-trick as Oblivion. You go down the first drop and that's basically the ride for me. I know it was built as an "icon" and everything, but they could and really should have added at least one good airtime hill on it, the thing reaches 70mph!
I've never hated PMBO. It's not intended as an airtime machine so I don't think it matters it has none. Objectively it is a pretty terrible ride, but I do find myself strangely endeared to it.

Scott said:
Physcoaster said:
What?! More than Nemesis or Oblivion?

Yep, a lot more, I'd rather ride the Grand National than those two coasters, it may seem shocking to the Towers fanbase because someone prefers a classic wooden coaster over two B&M coasters, but outside of the Towers community not everyone is so obsessed with the B&M bore machines of this world.

I rate Nemesis very highly, but there is better coasters out there, not sure if that's because I've got bored of it because I've ridden better coasters out there, or maybe Towers have done something to stop it running as well as it used to do? I don't know, but I know a lot of coaster enthusiasts who've travelled the world to ride coasters (and not just Europa Park), and rate Nemesis pretty low compared to other coasters out there, so I am certainly not alone in having an opinion that doesn't satisfy the Towers faithful as far as B&M coasters are concerned.

I've actually found the opposite from my various UK coaster circles. I've not ridden the Grand National for donkeys years due to distance and stuff, but I've heard from various, non towers-biased people that the new trains and magnetic trims have really affected the ride. In comparison I only hear that Nemesis gets better and better with age.

As for your gripe with Nemesis, well of course, some will rate Nemesis low. Apart from sounding like you're getting your handbag out at Towers Street with the Europa Park comment, the majority of enthusiasts outside of the UK do rate Nemesis incredibly highly. I agree with you that it isn't the best roller coaster or even B&M in the world, but the majority do think that. Maybe you and your friends from Pleasure Beach could do with being a little more open minded to other peoples opinions because it certainly isn't Towers street that is showing amazingly high levels of blind fanboyism.

Regarding Infusion - show me a web forum that thinks the standard model SLC isn't anything other than average at best. Just because they put Infusion in does not mean we all sit there and euphorically endorse it. Look at 13. It may be expensive, world first and custom - but it is hardly a revered coaster.

The greatest accolade I can give Infusion is that it isn't the worst of the five standard SLCs I have been on. It isn't the best, either.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Looking at the planned W&G addition for 2013, I've been doing a bit of searching around. Rather than head to the obvious parties' Twitter accounts associated with the project, got straight to the point with a quick question - still no definite date as yet though;

Sam said:
I don't know why, because the discussion is usually very balanced, compared to the absurd bashing Alton gets on PBE

The discussion is still balanced, just because someone doesn't agree with the posts being made by the majority doesn't mean they are wrong, nor does it mean they have no right to comment.

Have you ever thought that maybe the majority on PBE don't like Towers, therefore aren't going to pretend to do so just to please you and your friends on here.

Sam said:
Oh come off it! It doesn't matter what PBB operations class it as, Steeplechase is one coaster when being compared against other parks. The ride experience on all three tracks is nearly identical. That makes it one ride, with three tracks. Pretty much the only dueling/racing coaster I've been on where the tracks are different enough to class as two different ride experiences for me was Duelling Dragons. I'm not insulting Steeplechase here - I love the ride and I think it's great that it's a triple racing ride. But it's one ride, no doubt about it.

PB consider it as three seperate rides under one name, one lane can operate without the other two, etc. It's splitting hairs, no different to when people said the Goldmine was not a coaster but RMT is, despite them both being powered.

It's one of them agree to disagree moments.

Sam said:
The other three, yes, but there is no way Rita is a family ride. Even if it's tame compared to Stealth/TTD/whatever, the launch is still very physically intense, and places the ride very firmly in the thrill bracket. That is not a judgement on the ride's quality. You can have crap thrill coasters and great family coasters. But Rita is undoubtedly a thrill coaster - its launch is one of the most physically intense
elements on any UK ride.

I can only assume you find it more physically intense on your body than I do, I just don't find it intense at all.

I personally think it's a family coaster more than a thrill coaster, but once again we'll be going round in circles if we continue to debate it.

Sam said:
Well, someone's jealous! Yes, I bet you'd really hate it if the Pleasure Beach built a stonking great B&M. Boooo-ring!

Jealous of what exactly, Sam? Out of the B&M coasters I've ridden, I rate Inferno, Khan and Nemesis, everything else is nothing more than average IMO. I hope that I'll enjoy the three B&M coasters which I'll get to go on in the coming months (Shambhala at PA, Superman & Batman at Parque Warner).

I'd rather PB bought an Intamin not a B&M, if I am totally honest.

Sam said:
Oh yeah, all those enthusiasts rank Nemesis really low. That's why it came 5th in the world out of 342 on Mitch Hawker (by far and away the most accurate measure of worldwide enthusiast opinion). Where did PMBO come? 202nd. I'm not saying MH is perfect, but with such a clear gap in the figures, it's unarguable that enthusiasts on the whole (pay very close attention to those words Scott) that enthusiasts consider Nemesis one of the best coasters ever built, while they consider PMBO one of the worst. I know there are a lot of rides behind it, but they're mostly TOGOs, or kiddy rides or off-the-shelf rides (i.e. stuff that you'd expect to be crap anyway). For an 213ft Arrow hypercoaster, still one of the tallest, fastest and longest coasters in the world, to do that badly is a pretty damning indictment of how appalling the ride is.

I'm sure you'll come back with your anecdotal evidence of some enthusiasts you know who think Nemesis is really overrated and whatever. It doesn't matter - by the most accurate barometer we have, enthusiasts on the whole (there it is again) consider Nemesis one of the greatest coasters currently operating in the world.

Talk about being defensive, where did I say Nemesis was voted a bad coaster? Where did I rate PMBO against Nemesis? And what makes you think I should rate Nemesis as my favourite coaster because it does well in coaster polls?

Mark9 said:
Maybe you and your friends from Pleasure Beach could do with being a little more open minded to other peoples opinions because it certainly isn't Towers street that is showing amazingly high levels of blind fanboyism.

Yes Mark, we're all blind fanboys aren't we?

I think not, we've been more negative than positive about PB since the start of the season. ::)

AstroDan said:
Regarding Infusion - show me a web forum that thinks the standard model SLC isn't anything other than average at best. Just because they put Infusion in does not mean we all sit there and euphorically endorse it. Look at 13. It may be expensive, world first and custom - but it is hardly a revered coaster.

The greatest accolade I can give Infusion is that it isn't the worst of the five standard SLCs I have been on. It isn't the best, either.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

You can't have it both ways, moan for years about them not building a new ride and then when they do, moan all the time about the ride they built.

Infusion isn't all that special, I'd rather have the Log Flume there but just like with PMBO, the paying public love it, so what does it matter what enthusiasts think?

Scott said:
You can't have it both ways, moan for years about them not building a new ride and then when they do, moan all the time about the ride they built.

I'm pretty sure the Thirteen situation was quite similiar. People moaned that Corkie was gone and that the new ride wouldn't live up to it [which I agree with slightly], and then people went on to moan for a long period after the opening for over hyping, "it's RMT mixed with a frog hopper" etc.

It's fine wanting a new ride to continue to add to the overall experience of a park, but when it doesn't deliver the promised qualities such as Thirteen, or when it's just a ride that falls flat on it's arse [I'm looking at Mumbo Jumbo here], you can't win.

Scott said:
Sam said:
Oh come off it! It doesn't matter what PBB operations class it as, Steeplechase is one coaster when being compared against other parks. The ride experience on all three tracks is nearly identical. That makes it one ride, with three tracks. Pretty much the only dueling/racing coaster I've been on where the tracks are different enough to class as two different ride experiences for me was Duelling Dragons. I'm not insulting Steeplechase here - I love the ride and I think it's great that it's a triple racing ride. But it's one ride, no doubt about it.

PB consider it as three seperate rides under one name, one lane can operate without the other two, etc. It's splitting hairs, no different to when people said the Goldmine was not a coaster but RMT is, despite them both being powered.

Unless you're an unacquainted international enthusiast, Steeplechase is pretty much just one coaster experience with three lanes. I can't even remember the last time all three lanes were operating at the same time? :-\
Steeplechase however is one of my guilty pleasures at the Pleasure Beach.

Adam said:
Scott said:
Sam said:

Unless you're an unacquainted American enthusiast Steeplechase is pretty much just one coaster experience. I can't even remember the last time all three lanes were operating at the same time? :-\
Steeplechase however is one of my guilty pleasures at the Pleasure Beach.

You seem to make this point every year, yet it's never with justification.

If it's quiet, it'll be on two lanes, if it's busy, it'll be on three.

Rita is a thrill ride, just one that you happen to dislike. That opinion is not shared by everyone, a post on AT's facebook today claimed it to be "the only reason to visit". It's status as a thrill ride isn't really up for debate*, though it's quality is. For the record, I consider it underrated, as it has a fair bit of airtime and the 2nd corner in particular is very forceful).

As for Steeplechase, I only consider coasters with multiple lanes to be separate rides if the experience is sufficiently different to justify queueing up again to go on the other side(s). Regardless of the ability of the lanes to operate independently, Steeplechase is 1 coaster.

*at least, not on here. I'm sure I wouldn't be alone in considering it trolling.

As a parent Rita is certainly NOT a family ride. 13 is, all of PBBPBPBs woodies are, but neither Rita nor PMBO are family rides. (Though for different reasons).

Also im well confused by the steeplechase is 3 rides thing. I love the ride, its the best thing about BPBPBPP - but RCDB seem to list it as one, the BPBPB website list it as one too. Maybe in the park its a maintenance thing to class it as three, so they can say lane 3 needs work, but 1 and 2 are good to go?
Out of interest they list Steeplechase as a thrill ride, not family? Wheres the logic in that.

The Psychoaster said:
spike1911 said:
The Psychoaster said:
spike1911 said:
The Psychoaster said:
Classic PBB, in need of a thrill ride but what will they build.... a heritage centre!

Who says they need a thrill ride when nick land pulls in record crowds...

Well, their tagline on Google would suggest false marketing if that were the case...

This Theme Park / Amusement Park in Blackpool is the UKs most famous thrill seeker, kids & family theme parks.

So... why does that mean they need another thrill ride? If it's already a haven for thrill seekers?

That depends on what you define as a haven? Clearly it's not the most famous thrill seeker park in the UK regardless, that title goes to one of Thorpe or Alton. In my opinion, to even compete as the best thrill park in the UK it has to have more than 3 steelies - one of which isn't even a proper circuit coaster.

I would agree with the majority of people who have posted since you made the above quote, and have to say most of the wooden coasters are more thrilling than a lot of the more modern rides you find elsewhere, and yes, the Nash, Big Dipper, Mouse and Streak all beat Oblivion IMO.

SPL was a dump, I know it was a dump, PB know it was a dump, and most people who attented knew it was a dump. The Cyclone was the worse example of a wooden coaster I've ever encountered by some considerable distance. I find it odd how every no and them people jump up to slate AjT for the closure of that pile of firewood, but noone has much to say about GT closing the much better Texas Tornado in 1999.

As for the Steeplechase, I know a grown man who has been on more coasters than Alton Towers have lied about, and he still messes himself at the thought of Steeplechase.

And how anyone can suggest the Grand National is a family ride is beyond me.

Ash

Ash84 said:
As for the Steeplechase, I know a grown man who has been on more coasters than Alton Towers have lied about, and he still messes himself at the thought of Steeplechase.

I've read this sentence seven times now, and I'm still none-the-wiser. It's an enigma, trapped in a puzzle, wrapped in a mystery. :D

Also whether you like it or not, to say Rita is not a thrill ride is like saying cheddar isn't a cheese. It's undoubtedly a thrill ride. It accelerates from 0-61.1mph in 2.5 seconds. It's clearly in the thrill bracket, and you're simply wrong.

On the subject of the Wallace and Gromit ride I'm really curious as to how it came about. Did Blackpool approach Aardman or Aardman contact Blackpool? I know that Aardman seem to have a soft spot for the pleasure beach, especial as the location and feel of the place ties in with their most iconic characters:

4101289920_811e8c8857.jpg

Picture from the opening sequence of The Curse of the Were-Rabbit

If it was Aardman that approached Blackpool then I'd be very excited for what they have planned.

Scott said:
Sam said:

Did you count Spin Doctor as two rides?

Ash84 said:
And how anyone can suggest the Grand National is a family ride is beyond me. Idiots. lol

Do families not ride it then? That's funny for a ride that has a 117cm height restriction. I would've thought families would be all over it...

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.