• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: Pleasure Beach, Blackpool: General Discussion

Height restriction is not the be all and end all when determining whether or not something is a family ride. Having said that, I would never count a ride with a 1.4m restriction as a family ride (even if it might otherwise be classed as such, like with X:\NWO or Rattlesnake) simply because it is not accessible to a key part of the family demographic.

Sam said:
Also whether you like it or not, to say Rita is not a thrill ride is like saying cheddar isn't a cheese. It's undoubtedly a thrill ride. It accelerates from 0-61.1mph in 2.5 seconds. It's clearly in the thrill bracket, and you're simply wrong.

My opinion is wrong, is it? I don't think so.

Rita isn't even close to being a thrillseeker's ride, it's tame and doesn't exactly put fear into people, not in the way that Nemesis or even Oblivion would do.

Do you agree Sam that the Grand National is just a family ride then? I don't, but seems as it keeps being mentioned I thought I'd ask.

Pleasure Beach, Blackpool: General Discussion

Ash84 said:
And how anyone can suggest the Grand National is a family ride is beyond me. Idiots. lol
I'll just go and call me Mum an idiot then. The Nash is a fantastic ride and I rate it very highly, but the old woodies are seen by large swathes of the general public as good 'old-fashioned' family fun. My Mum wouldn't touch a ride like PMBO or Infusion with a very long stick but was well up for the Nash... It gives a thrill but I find it incredibly unfair to label those who put it in the 'family thrill' category as idiots... For daring to have a different opinion.

As for Steeplechase, I count it as one ride and see the tracks in a similar way to how other rides take off trains depending on the amount of visitors...

Scott said:
Rita isn't even close to being a thrillseeker's ride, it's tame and doesn't exactly put fear into people, not in the way that Nemesis or even Oblivion would do.
Once again you are claiming that as fact... I love thrilling rides but Rita actually scares me way more than Blivvy or Nemesis ever do. It's the anticipation of the launch and then the speed and force that is applied that makes it very scary in my eyes! So I suppose I'm not a thrill seeker then because it scares me?

We're all scared by different things but I would say that the majority of the GP find Rita to be a very thrilling ride!

John said:
Height restriction is not the be all and end all when determining whether or not something is a family ride. Having said that, I would never count a ride with a 1.4m restriction as a family ride (even if it might otherwise be classed as such, like with X:\NWO or Rattlesnake) simply because it is not accessible to a key part of the family demographic.

Now thats the first sensible thing anybody has said for the last 5 pages. The River Caves, Go Karts and Swamp Buggies all had higher restrictions than the National, does that mean they are more thrilling?

Sam, care to quote where I said Rita isnt a thrill ride?

Ash

Scott said:
My opinion is wrong, is it?

Yes. Intensity is measurable, not subjective. Although it might be fuzzier around the edges, a launch from 0-61 in 2.5 seconds is firmly and provably a very intense experience. I'm afraid you're just wrong.

I believe the Grand National is a family-thrill ride, somewhere in-between, similar to Blue Fire or Dragon's Fury.

Wrong in your opinion, not wrong factually.

Rita for me is not intense, maybe you can't handle the launch, I find it tame, for me the launch on Stealth is a lot more intense, and the same can be said for Furius Baco.

We all react to coasters differently, I still find it odd (but not wrong, note that), that anyone can consider the Grand National a family ride.

Scott said:

I'd contest that. Whether they like it or not, you're the only person I've ever met who doesn't think Rita is a thrill ride. It's clearly laughable.

But nobody really takes your views on this seriously at all, given that everyone on here knows that everything you write about Towers is clouded by your irrational hatred of the place.

Sam said:
Scott said:
My opinion is wrong, is it?

Yes. Intensity is measurable, not subjective. Although it might be fuzzier around the edges, a launch from 0-61 in 2.5 seconds is firmly and provably a very intense experience. I'm afraid you're just wrong.

I believe the Grand National is a family-thrill ride, somewhere in-between, similar to Blue Fire or Dragon's Fury.

I believe you are mistaken.

Ash

Sam said:
Scott said:

I'd contest that. Whether they like it or not, you're the only person I've ever met who doesn't think Rita is a thrill ride. It's clearly laughable.

But nobody really takes your views on this seriously at all, given that everyone on here knows that everything you write about Towers is clouded by your irrational hatred of the place.

Irrational hatred? Haha. :D

I don't hate Towers, not at all, I've had some good visits this season as well as enjoying Scarefest and the Fireworks last season.

There's plenty of things I don't like about Towers, but if I was to post what I didn't like about Towers, I'd get shot down in flames, plus this is a PB topic. ;)

You need to realise that if someone doesn't like Towers, it doesn't mean they hate it, it just means they don't think it's magical and the ''best day ever''.

Pleasure Beach, Blackpool: General Discussion

Most people on this forum stopped thinking that Towers was 'the best day ever' a season or two ago... However that's fairly irrelevant in a PBB topic. In fact Scott, were you to post views of Towers within Towers related topics you'd probably find people that shared your opinions on negative points about AT.

This thread however seems simply like a case of one up-manship between you, Sam and Ash with everyone else's points and opinions being ignored so that you three can get back to playing 'who's going to have the last word?'

Scott said:

Rita for me is not intense, maybe you can't handle the launch, I find it tame, for me the launch on Stealth is a lot more intense, and the same can be said for Furius Baco.

We all react to coasters differently, I still find it odd (but not wrong, note that), that anyone can consider the Grand National a family ride.

Scott, Furius Baco is actually less intense than Rita.

Let's do some math, assuming acceleration for these rides are constant (may or may not be I don't know, but for arguments sake, however point will still stand as Baco has a much longer launch strip than Rita) we can us v=u+at, where v is final velocity, u is initial velocity a is acceleration (and therefor the force of the launch, therefor the intensity) and t is time. So for both rides u=0 meaning to get the intensity of the launches we rearrange the equation to get a=v/t (I'm doing this for people who haven't done the suvat equations)

Rita:
a=61.1/2.5
a=24.44ms^2

Baco:
a=83.9/3.5
a=23.97ms^2

As you can see baco is clearly less intense acceleration than rita. However I will say this, due to the duration of the acceleration I can see why you would think that Baco packs more of a punch, but factually it doesn't

And for some comparison:

Stealth:

a=80/1.9
a=42.11ms^2

King Da Ka:

a=128/3.5
a=36.57ms^2

Formula Rossa

a=149.1/4
a=37.28ms^2

Figures take from RCDB

So as you can see Rita and Baco pale in comparison to the fastest two and Stealth, and are also pretty much the two weakest launches from Intamin :/

However, like I've been saying on CPBE (it's coasteraddict BTW), Rita couldn't go any faster like you so desperately think that launch coasters that thrill need as Alton don't have the ability to build to the sky and don't have room for Baco esque layout (even though we've established that baco's less forceful at launch :p )

This topic is getting infuriating. I lost any idea of what was being discussed several pages back, now it just seems to bit nitpicking for the sake of nitpicking.

Now one thing that I have grasped is that there is some debate as to what is a thrill and family ride, neither of which I should note is inferior to the other as both can be just as fun and interesting. As far as I see it there is a blurred line between thrill and family. However anything that pulls a high G-force can undoubtedly be counted as a thrill ride because it is unsuitable for a non-thrill audience. At 4.7g (according to the RCDB) Rita is definitely within this category. Out of interest 4.7g is higher than that found on Nemesis and other such rides, it's just not sustained for as long.

Now can we get back to discussing Blackpool properly, It's not like there aren’t interesting things to talk about at the moment, they're building a ride based on Wallace and Gromit!

Tim said:
It's not like there aren’t interesting things to talk about at the moment, they're building a ride based on Wallace and Gromit!
cheese-gromit-o.gif

Can we make sure we stay friendly please guys.

I've had to edit out some direct personal insults - which are not welcome at all. If anyone continues to get personal then warnings will be issued.

If you have issues with members then take it to PMs, flag the post or contact a member of the team with your concerns. Otherwise lets get back onto discussing PBB in a 'ol friendly manner. Debate if you like, just keep it constructive and adult!

Thanks. :D

indeed this thread is becoming tedious to read, i decided to join in and offer some fresh views, which (as some others peoples posts) have been ignored in a preference of nit-picking and snide comments.

This is not acceptable behaviour, several team members have already commented on this thread. And with the amount of reports this thread is constantly receiving it seems the community is as unimpressed as myself and the other team members.

Please, think before pressing that post button.

I must say I am looking forward to the Wallace and Gromit ride :D I think I am going to PB next week so I will try and get some construction updates. :D

In terms of these latest developments is it anticipated the Millennium Dome (or whatever it is called these days) will still be there next season, or will it disappear as part of the new attraction?

Squiggs said:
In terms of these latest developments is it anticipated the Millennium Dome (or whatever it is called these days) will still be there next season, or will it disappear as part of the new attraction?

Don't think so. They have ripped down some of the roofing on the Gold Mine side to fit in some new framework which does go right up against it. The new ride will take up part of the Magnolia Cafe and Blue Grotto though by the looks of things.

Ive always found pleasure beach a bit weird as a park I've only been 1 or 2 times but it seems a bit overcrowded great ride but just strange as a park

I'm really looking forward to the opening of the new Wallace and Gromit ride. I honestly don't think there isn't an IP anymore suited to the park than this. And if it's the same quality as Nickelodeon Land, then we're in for a treat!

On a side note, the new Nickelodeon Land section of the Blackpool Illuminations look fantastic.

SpongeBob SquarePants and other favourite Nickelodeon characters are getting ready to light up Blackpool Illuminations this year!

As the resort builds up for one of the biggest dates in the calendar, Blackpool Illuminations have joined forces with Blackpool Pleasure Beach and Nickelodeon for this year’s Lights extravaganza.

A section of the world famous Lights will feature Nickelodeon characters outside Britain’s favourite tourist attraction when the Illuminations are switched on in front of thousands of people on August 31.

SpongeBob, Patrick, Dora the Explorer and all your favourite characters will appear throughout the Lights season which brings hundreds of thousands of extra visitors to the resort after a busy summer season.

2012 marks the Centenary of the Illuminations and Nickelodeon is one of a number of new sections being introduced this year to mark this milestone.

Managing Director of Blackpool Pleasure Beach, Amanda Thompson OBE, said: “Nickelodeon Land has been a huge success since we launched the attraction in May last year and to have SpongeBob and all his friends as Illuminations is very exciting.

“The Illuminations are a national treasure and we are delighted to be involved in a year which marks its Centenary.

“Having seen the Nickelodeon Illuminations being built I can tell you they are fantastic and will really add to the visitor experience of people coming to see them.”

Cllr Graham Cain, Cabinet Member for Tourism and Culture, at Blackpool Council, said: “Nickelodeon characters are recognised all over the world so there’s no doubt they will be hugely popular feature. It’s an honour for the Illuminations to be linked to such an iconic brand.

“We have a number of new features in this year’s lights and the Nickelodeon section will help us to put on a show that’s bigger and better than ever before to mark 100 years of the Illuminations.”

Natalie Wyatt, Managing Director of Marketing Blackpool, said: “It is great that Blackpool Pleasure Beach and Nickelodeon Land are supporting the Illuminations this year in such a positive way.

"Millions of children will be delighted to see SpongeBob and his pals featuring in the Lights and it is particularly pleasing to have such an exciting new feature as we celebrate 100 years of the Lights."

Tina McCann, SVP Managing Director, Nickelodeon UK, said: “We are so pleased that characters such as Dora and Bikini Bottom’s own SpongeBob and Patrick have been included in this year’s Illuminations. Being incorporated into one of the UK’s most iconic cultural events during such an important year is simply brilliant.”

iluminationsbob.jpg

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.