• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Sazzle said:
Sorry if this is a little naive, but is this actually a dark ride being built from scratch, or is it just a HUGE overhaul of the old ride system?

Given the photos above showing the track still in place, I think i'm mistaken for suggesting this was a new ride from scratch. However, I'm not sure as to the extent of the new building - whether it is just a replacement for the original facade on the upper level, or whether the lower areas of the ride will also see their outer building replaced too?

Jordan said:
Dave said:
Nemesis: Sub-Terra?

Unless you mean a dark-ride transit system?
Yes, that's what I meant. :p

I'm not sure whether I'd count Sub-Terra as a dark ride or not, as it doesn't have a transit system, but I'm sure that's a controversial discussion to have elsewhere :D

I realise as above that this may not be relevant, but if the dark ride doesn't have a transit system, then it's just a ride in the dark.

Jordan said:
Sazzle said:
Sorry if this is a little naive, but is this actually a dark ride being built from scratch, or is it just a HUGE overhaul of the old ride system?

Given the photos above showing the track still in place, I think i'm mistaken for suggesting this was a new ride from scratch. However, I'm not sure as to the extent of the new building - whether it is just a replacement for the original facade on the upper level, or whether the lower areas of the ride will also see their outer building replaced too?

From what I've gathered, the ride will follow a similar route, but will include a new section surrounding the Blue Grotto and into the now closed Magnolia Food Court.

If the track was to be retained, would there be a supplier that could provide track similar to that of Arrow does anyone know?

Jordan said:
Sazzle said:

From a few trusted people in prominent positions at the park, I can confirm (as far as confirmation goes in these circumstances) that the Wallace & Gromit ride will take the exact same route through the buildings as the Gold Mine did - no extensions, no areas of the ride removed. What exactly will replace the Magnolia Cafe is anyone's guess, but I'd like to think a large vault containing one of Wallace's previous inventions, such as the rocket, would be good?

The ride is said to begin in Wallace's house, passing through his front room, along the hallways and down into his basement, where he creates all his amazing inventions. Now, this is where your imagination will be stretched to the extreme - his three bedroom end-of-terrace house will have a basement the size of a small supermarket.

Whether the ride is merely a tour of his inventions or, as previously plugged, his invention "The Thrill-O-Matic" - which is essentially a rollercoaster (if you can call the system that) built in his house - is yet to be seen.

Remember guys, this is from the world of misinformation and imagination where occasionally, things are right so don't hold me responsible if it turns out that the ride is a Intamin launcher with 17 loops and pyrotechnics frying all of Wallace's enemies in the finale ;)

Hmmm... Interesting. Could that imply that they are going to reclassify the ride as a coaster? I've always been one of the minority who thinks "coaster track, coaster trains, coasts down hill at points.... Sounds like (powered) coaster to me."

Though I am well aware that very few people share this opinion.

BPB have finally offically announced the ride on the park's Faffbook page.

So, who fancies a new ride then? Well.... today Blackpool Pleasure Beach is delighted to announce the Thrill-O-Matic, the UK's only Wallace & Gromit ride which is due to open next year! Here's a sneak peek, there'll be plenty more to come!!!

313015_10151099359732365_57821479_n.jpg

297493_10151099360547365_1221505327_n.jpg

Seriously going to enjoy this ride if it's implemented properly - and with a budget of over £5mill I'm presuming it will be done to a great standard with some sort of innovation. :)

Sorry for the small picture, it's all I could find. But concept art is concept art hey?

gI_68339_Thrill-O-Matic%20artist%20impression.jpg

Looks like they are going for the same kind of clean image that Nick Land has. Oh, and here's an article on the subject:

Wallace and Gromit are coming to Blackpool Pleasure Beach!
Blackpool Pleasure Beach, the UK's favourite tourist attraction, announces new Thrill-O-Matic ride with much-loved characters Wallace & Gromit

Get ready to be stocked up on cheese because Wallace and Gromit are coming to Blackpool Pleasure Beach!
The Great British icons are to be the centerpiece of the new Thrill-O-Matic family ride which will replace the Gold Mine which closed at the end of the 2011 season.
The £5.25m investment is due to open in 2013 and will feature all the best-loved characters from the dynamic duo’s adventures.
Creators Aardman are working with Blackpool Pleasure Beach design and engineering team on the ride which will take a trip through A Grand Day Out, visit The Wrong Trousers, take A Close Shave and deal with A Matter of Loaf and Death.
The ride takes almost four minutes and takes in dozens of well-loved scenes from the Wallace and Gromit films.
The riveting ride will also feature a shop where you can buy Wallace & Gromit merchandise.
Special hoardings featuring Wallace & Gromit are due to be erected at the site of Thrill-O-Matic as engineering work continues.
Blackpool Pleasure Beach managing director Amanda Thompson OBE said: “We are delighted to be welcoming Wallace & Gromit to Pleasure Beach.
“Thrill-O-Matic represents a significant investment in the park and we know the characters will be a huge hit with the families who come and visit Pleasure Beach.
“Wallace & Gromit are national treasures and to have them here re-affirms our commitment to attracting families back to the resort for what we hope will be A Grand Day Out!”
Nick Park, creator of Wallace and Gromit, said: “We are really enjoying working with the Pleasure Beach team on this new ride and new format for Wallace and Gromit and can’t wait to get started on building all the props and set pieces.”

Why can't we just post it on here directly?

Thrill-O-Matic_artist_impression.jpg

WandG3.jpg

WandG2.jpg

WandG1.jpg

Don't seem to have changed their name from Pleasure Beach Blackpool then...

How consistent :-/ the construction site states Pleasure Beach Blackpool, and the online images say Blackpool Pleasure Beach...!

What's the deal with the branding reversal, by the way?

And why does Ms Thompson state "attracting families back to the Resort"... sure, because they recently focused on bringing in thrill seekers with their AMAZING installations? Those installations being.. uh.. Infusion. And nothing else of note? Their last big overhaul was Nickland - a huge family investment. If anything, there's nothing new of note for thrillseekers! I imagine the thought was with the park having placed emphasis on the thrill market between 2000-2009(ish), but even so... you can never really lose the family market in such a headline holiday destination? Surely?!

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

Can very easily lose them if the park gets a reputation...

I imagine it's part of the push to bring back families in general to Blackpool - they'll want more at the pleasure beach as well. Unlike towers, I doubt it means instead of pushing for Thrill Seekers.. just means getting more of them back.

After studying Travel & Tourism and Blackpool being one of the subjects believe it or not Blackpool are actually doing alright for themselves at the minute.

Whilst it seems BPP is struggling this is only due to the rescission but still people are continuing to visit Blackpool in general and I do believe the Family approach they are taking to turn the town around is working and Nickeloden Land has clearly showed this and plus with Merlin on board and taking over the tower operation there's more attractions and things to do in Blackpool to make it a more of a over night destination.

I think the council need to address the state of the shops, hotels etc on the beach front though to make them more presentable as some of them are in a current state and really do need doing up!

I personally don't think Blackpool has ever lost its family tag, as it is surely one of the most popular seaside destinations in the UK for family trips? I understand there is a big 'stag and hen' reputation, but that's part and parcel of the cheap and cheerful British seaside destination - common up and down the country!

What I was getting at, is its hardly like the park have been thrill focused in the last five years - there has been no hard selling of the thrill factor as far as I am aware (as there have been few notable thrill installations), so why did that press release say they attracting families back to the "Resort"? Why did they leave? Surely the thrill seekers had also drifted, because they barely had anything to draw them in either?

To lose the family market in a prime holiday destination, someone's taken a wrong turning...

I think it's just been read into too much.

Pretty sure she just means people returning to the place, as in visiting again.. rather than having deserted the place.

Aardman's Wallace and Gromit Facebook page has just released this image:

582558_10151021131718831_919407816_n.jpg

And for anybody interested, here's the competition info they've put on their forum:

Cracking Competition!
To celebrate Wallace & Gromit's new ride at Blackpool we are giving you a chance to win a family day ticket for 4 to Blackpool Pleasure Beach!

To enter, we want you to draw or model your own cracking theme park ride and upload it to our creations section! The competition will run for one month until 15th September and soon after this date we will announce the winner! See below for terms and conditions.

Terms & Conditions
The prize is a family pass to include 4 people (containing at least one adult) and does not include travel or accommodation, the voucher cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer, all wristbands to be used on the same day, only the original voucher will be accepted, the voucher has no cash equivalent. Wristbands issued will and must be placed upon the right wrist of all guests only by Pleasure Beach Blackpool staff and once removed will become instantly invalid. For security reasons an invisible stamp may be placed on the back of guests’ hands
Terms and conditions apply. Non-transferable and not for re-sale. Child classed as aged 2 to 11 years.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.