• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I put a lot of the opening times shenanigans down to agreements with the council, opening on days where staff outnumber punters, always an early close on switch on night, they just don't make economic sense.
I don't understand why people focus on switch on night - they have seemingly been to a different event than I have done these past ten years or so. Switch on night is now very different to what it once was.

I'd suggest that the night as a whole is far smaller than it once was, for starters and it's made up of two types of guests.
  • People going to the ticketed event on Tower Headland
  • People going through the illuminations on a tram or in their cars
If they're going to the ticketed event, I think they will likely do that and go home after walking through some of the lights - it lasts a good while. If they're going through the lights in the car - it now takes so long they will have no meaningful time at the park and tram riding visitors - by definition, there can't be that many of them.

If you discount all of the above and a percentage of these people come to the park, what are you going to sell to them? A wristband is expensive (say they arrived at 8 and you closed at midnight - wristbands would be more than double the cost per hour than a summer day) and PPR is even more so.

Then, it hammers it down and you have an empty park fully staffed with everyone going through the lights in the tailback under the Big One.

Few spots this morning:

- New park map is out. In a new format which is blander. Personally not a fan, but it does show the new hotel and Icon.

- New hotel park entrance through the restaurant now that the old entrance building has been demolished, along with the white entrance arch and volcanoes which are also mid-demolition.

- In a random act of vandalism the pathway which the PBE travels under after Burger King station has had ugly white cladding added to cover over what used to be the windows on either side. A baffling decision.

- Icon now has a large gold-ish pagoda structure atop the station.

- Coasters looks very close to being finished. Cladding looks great.

EDIT:

- The organ on Derby Racer is alive again.

- Grand Prix is testing.

ANOTHER EDIT:

- Icon merchandise is now available opposite Big One. Some new items are available, including a rather nice key ring.

- Coasters is looking very good. With the exception of some of the chairs, which look to have been picked up from a 1970s car boot and then sprayed gold. The bar is fully stocked, the oven was ‘testing’ today and staff were mulling around. The downstairs toilet area is getting a new brick wall. I haven’t quite figured out why but can only suspect that it’s connected with these toilets reopening. I wouldn’t be surprised if we see Coasters open very soon, perhaps even this weekend. The toilets may take a little longer.

Last edited:
Where are these "fold up maps" you speak of? I can only ever find the a3 ones and they're extremely awkward to carry around.

Pictures on Facebook of Parts of Wild Mouse now appearing for sale..

Saw these myself today. As posted by me earlier on another site :

Just a tip off for the Wild Mouse fans, some parts from the ride are now on sale in the Kiss Me Quick shop under the Flying Machines. Blocks of wood for £20, chain dogs (didn't notice price as I already have one), one mushroom wheel (I think there had been more of these and also running wheels but none there today, think they were £50 each, more than double the price of when I got mine when the ride was still standing), some chain links at £50 and 2 x large sections of wood with nuts & bolts attached for £100 each!

Taking the Mickey (pun intended) with some of those prices but I couldn't resist getting a chain link. They are quite cute little things and not too heavy unlike some of the ride parts. In fact I've just discovered it makes a nice phone cradle on your desk! A fool and his money are easily parted. Oh well, it was my favourite ride after all.

It looks good, very reasonably priced as well. As a fan of hispanic food, this is looking fab :)

Beer glass doesn't bother me, as a budding biologist I don't think I could ever bring myself to ingest poison :p

Managed 34 rides at BPB yesterday, vs 7 at Alton Towers last Sunday.

Blackpool may have demolished one of my favourite rides but it's still a much more enjoyable day out.
Was Dipper on two trains? I know most of the coasters were on full capacity but I've never actually seen the 2nd Dipper train this season.

It's the plaza area with the central fountain show/food outlets in the North side of the park. Long rumoured for some kind of developments and even more so now Trauma Towers is gone.
Ah right. Thanks @Alastair! I wondered whether it was something that you had to be a proper BPB enthusiast to know.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.