• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
They're such fab rides (provided you know what you're doing, which when I was at Nigloland and Legoland this year, many people don't have the knack for it)...

Good fun but not an inspiring addition. But what else do we really expect from such a park? I'm just thankful that they have not gone for an Air Race, common sense has prevailed there.

:)

Looks like a fantastic addition to the park. It's great to see BPB bringing us a ride that's unique to the UK.
Hopefully the queueline will be made interesting to make up for the low throughput - the press release certainly suggests a preshow of some sort.

Having looked at that promotional image, it looked to me like it was basically a floorless Zamperla Air Race, but I just googled an image of a Sky Fly, and it does look rather good! Again, both a spectator and rider attraction. Seems like a good investment for BPB. :)

Come on, let's be fair. Yes they need a coaster, but this themed to Red Arrows is pretty cool!! Jeez man. I don't even like these types of rides, spinning round on TWO axis is a ride nightmare for me.

They're such fab rides (provided you know what you're doing, which when I was at Nigloland and Legoland this year, many people don't have the knack for it)...

I remember the conversations when this video first surfaced about this ride:

So Blackpool get one and it's suddenly a rubbish choice for a FLAT? Give over.

Throughput nightmare though I agree. Practical maybe not, but as a great thing to watch and for many unique to ride, well done Blackpool and looks a LOT better than the Zamperla DMP got - far more visually striking, if they tag on a great theme and some atmosphere, I think this will be a win for them and I most certainly hope it is!

Will look fantastic next to The Big One!

So Blackpool get one and it's suddenly a rubbish choice for a FLAT? Give over.

It is like many rides. People look at Huss Jump 2's and Topple Towers and think they're amazing until they get on and realise they're average.

The vast majority of people in the 20-or-so people off TST that went to Nigloland in April and rode theirs did not come off saying it was anything special. Admittedly, if you get a spin on you can rotate solidly for 1-2 minutes but in truth, very few of the general public wll be able to do that and for the most part, neither will enthusiasts. There was a similar ride at Bakken which the guys I was with said was similarly quite dull. This was long before Blackpool Pleasure Beach revealed theirs and was simply an assessment of the rides in those parks at face value.

The capacity is horrendous. We're talking 12 cycles per hour at 5-minutes per full cycle at most which is barely 144 people. By contrast, Air Race can achieve around 2 or 3 times that. The queue time for this could be truly enormous.

It is unique and from a marketing perspective will give Blackpool something to use in 2015, which is important.

However, I personally don't really have much interest in it.

For reference - the ride in the video is different to what Blackpool are getting. The video shows a Sky Roller not a Sky Fly. I would actually say the Sky Fly is visually better, so at least that is what we're getting here.

Last edited:
The Gerst website claims it can reach 360pph if running at full capacity, 30 rides per hour. Which it never will be, because that implies that the ride cycle plus onload and offload will take a maximum of 2 minutes. Also, BPB staff are running it.

Don't get me wrong @AstroDan I don't have any interest in it as a ride, and er yeah, that throughput is better than the smiler :D diabolical.

Seriously though about throughput, they wont run a 5 minute cycle surely? The website states up to 720pph based on the 24 model. Now it's Blackpool, I'm not that silly, but even if they can get 500 out of it, that's not too bad surely?

I mean 5 minutes for the FULL cycle - not the ride.

2 minutes for everyone to get off then on and get their harnesses down and checked.
2-3 minutes for the ride.

500 per hour? Hah! That would be 41 rides an hour!!! Not a chance in hell! More like 12 an hour.

Presuming this IS the 12 seater version?

Don't get me wrong @AstroDan I don't have any interest in it as a ride, and er yeah, that throughput is better than the smiler :D diabolical.

Seriously though about throughput, they wont run a 5 minute cycle surely? The website states up to 720pph based on the 24 model. Now it's Blackpool, I'm not that silly, but even if they can get 500 out of it, that's not too bad surely?

24 seat model? As far as I can see there only exists a 12 seat model. I'm begging Gerst have developed a 24 seater though for this instance.

Diameter (gondolas lowered) ~ 66 ft (~ 20.3 m)
Diameter (gondolas swung out) ~ 69.9 ft (~ 22.0 m)
Maximum Height ~ 59 ft (~ 18.0 m), ~ 80 ft (~ 24.5 m) or ~ 116 ft (~ 35.5 m)
Max revolutions per minute ~ 11 rpm
Connected load ~ 100 - 130 kW
Minimum height (TÜV) ~ 4.1 ft (~ 1.25 m)
Guests (per ride) 24 bucket seats
Capacity
20 rides per hour ~ 320 or 480 pph
30 rides per hour ~ 480 or 720 pph
Special Features
  • state-of-the-art safety PLC with wireless data transmission
  • User interface witz visualization of the complete ride for service and maintenance
  • lighting (or LED-lighting) optional
PL3SkyRo02.png

Diameter (gondolas lowered) ~ 66 ft (~ 20.3 m)
Diameter (gondolas swung out) ~ 69.9 ft (~ 22.0 m)
Maximum Height ~ 59 ft (~ 18.0 m), ~ 80 ft (~ 24.5 m) or ~ 116 ft (~ 35.5 m)
Max revolutions per minute ~ 11 rpm
Connected load ~ 100 - 130 kW
Minimum height (TÜV) ~ 4.1 ft (~ 1.25 m)
Guests (per ride) 24 bucket seats
Capacity
20 rides per hour ~ 320 or 480 pph
30 rides per hour ~ 480 or 720 pph
Special Features
  • state-of-the-art safety PLC with wireless data transmission
  • User interface witz visualization of the complete ride for service and maintenance
  • lighting (or LED-lighting) optional

But, where is that? All I can see is this...?

But, that's not a Sky Fly; that's a Sky Roller. -_-

Yes, I just noticed. And if it's a Sky FLY then I take it back, because with 12 seats that would just be idiotic.

Now the Red Arrows makes more sense because it kind of flies in formation.

WHY DID THEY NOT FOR A SKY ROLLER??? (Having checked the image, I see what you all mean btw, apologies)

It is a Sky Fly. Hence our prior complaining :p

It still looks alright, but why a big park would choose such a dire throughput ride, it can't have cost that much more to have the Sky Roller. TWELVE per cycle? Less throughput in 3 minutes (generous) or so than 3/4's of a Smiler car?

That seems crazy. I wish them well with it still, it will still look pretty cool, maybe this will be a speedypass only ride on busy days? I can't see how else they could run such a low throughput ride?

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.