• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
When did Pleasure Beach launch this website? Forgive me if I'm a bit behind, looks like a nice departure for them, they've had some very clunky sites over the years.

this popped onto my Tube timeline yesterday and all I kept thinking was, please fall off and die. please please just one little slip.. complete holes that they are :mad:

I think that they are complete idiots/holes, however I would never wish on anyone to slip, fall off and die. Where was the security?

I too saw this on FB yesterday, not for the faint hearted

At least it's not some rubbish news report about a ride getting evac'd which is a nice change. Completely stupid though of them to do it, could have ended very badly for them if they weren't careful.

Am I allowed to say "they deserved a horrible death" this time? Or are we still in full on "can't offend the idiots" mode?

Am I allowed to say "they deserved a horrible death" this time? Or are we still in full on "can't offend the idiots" mode?

"Can't offend the idiots mode"...*Offline*

Tbh, stupid? Incredibly.... Brave? Incredibly. Get on Youtube and watch these sort of videos....Holy crap.

I've submitted my appeal to the Department for Culture, Media & Sport about the decision against listing the Wild Mouse. Partly because I want to see it protected, and partly because I am an enthusiast for tedious bureaucratic machinations like you'd get in provincial regions of the Soviet Union in the early eighties.

The grounds were basically:
1. The bit in the report about the ride recently having been modified and extended is factually incorrect.
2. One of the primary reasons to reject the application was because the ride was extensively modified in the sixties by the Volare brothers, but so was the Big Dipper so the rides have been inconsistently assessed as a group.

Received a response to this from DCMS:

"Dear Mr Gregory,

PLANNING (LISTED BUILDINGS AND CONSERVATION AREAS) ACT 1990
BUILDINGS OF SPECIAL ARCHITECTURAL OR HISTORIC INTEREST
Wild Mouse Ride, Blackpool Pleasure Beach

I write further to your application asking for a review of the decision not to list the Wild Mouse Ride (the “Ride”) at Blackpool Pleasure Beach. I’m the Department’s officer responsible for this review and had no involvement in the original decision to list/not to list.

Outcome
After carefully considering your grounds for review the original decision not to list the Ride is upheld. The reasons for this are given below.

When the overturning of a previous decision will be considered
Overturning an original decision will only be considered if there is evidence that the original decision has been wrongly made. Examples of a wrongly made decision would be:

- where there has been a significant factual error, e.g. the wrong building was listed; or
- where there has been some irregularity in the process that has affected the
outcome, e.g. significant relevant considerations have not been taken into
account/significant irrelevant considerations have been taken into account.

Reviews of decisions are also undertaken if there is significant new evidence, not previously considered, relating to the special architectural or historic interest of the building in a national context as defined by the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990. For example:

- where new evidence relating to the date of a building has been discovered; or
- where there has been a material change of circumstances affecting the
assessment of a building’s architectural or historic interest.

In every case evidence can only be considered which relates to the special architectural or historic interest of the building in the national context. The Principles of Selection for Listing Buildings, March 2010, (which may be found at: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/principles-of-selection-for-listing-buildings ) sets out general principles and statutory criteria for measuring architectural and historic interest. Other factors, such as planning considerations and local importance, cannot be taken into account.

Reasons for upholding the original decision
We don’t consider that the grounds for review provide evidence that the original decision was wrongly made, and nor do they contain significant new evidence relating to the special architectural or historic interest of the Ride. This is for the following reasons, which address the key points made in the grounds for review.

Modifications and extensions to the Wild Mouse Ride
We are in agreement with you that the Ride was not extended during the refurbishment that was carried out during the winter/spring of 2007/2008. The advice report has been amended to correct this error. However, major changes were made to the Ride in the 1960s and they had a significant detrimental effect on the architectural and historic interest of the Ride.

The application of selectivity to the listing assessment
The level of selectivity required is progressively greater the later the date. The Wild Mouse is a post-1945 structure, for which the Secretary of State’s Principles of Selection for Listing Buildings require ‘particularly careful selection’, requiring progressively greater selectivity towards the present day. Dating from the late 1950s and the 1960s, it is therefore assessed against a higher standard than pre-war rides, which are 20-30 years older than the Wild Mouse Ride’s original construction.

The assessment of alterations
It is true that some listed rides at Blackpool Pleasure Beach have been substantially altered. However, some alterations enhance the architectural or historic interest, as is the case with the Big Dipper. The later alterations to the Wild Mouse Ride are not considered to add substantially to the architectural or historic interest, principally for their relatively recent date.

The rarity of the Wild Mouse Ride
While the Ride is one of a very small number of wooden Wild Mouse rides, this example is simply a variant of the rollercoaster. Its rarity as an example of this particular variant does not in itself add significantly to the interest of the Ride. For its date, the use of wood rather than steel was a conservative choice. The global rarity of surviving rollercoasters dating from the 1930s and earlier is a factor that enhances the interest of the listed examples at Blackpool Pleasure Beach.

Conclusion
The grounds for review don't provide evidence that the original decision was wrongly made. In particular, there was no irregularity in the process and no significant new information has been provided on the Wild Mouse ride’s architectural or historic interest.

The original decision was correctly made. The decision and the principal reasons for it should therefore stand. The Wild Mouse, Blackpool Pleasure Beach does not meet the criteria for listing and should not be added to the statutory list.

I’m sorry to have to send you a decision that I know you will find disappointing."

Ahh well.

@Sam I'm still not sure I can fully get on board with the whole listing thing, but every credit for all your efforts that you've put in.

Well, at least they took the time to reply, I didn't expect that. How long do you think we have to wait before it's worth trying again?

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.