• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Chiapas is far superior to Valhalla in almost every regard. Valhalla has a couple of very impressive set pieces, but there's too much meandering around in near darkness and the unreliability of effects means there can be very long stretches of ride where nothing happens.

Best water ride would be between Chiapas and Splash Mountain for me, a few other rapids and log flumes would probably be ahead of Valhalla in my rankings too.

River Quest looks great (I haven't ridden myself) but it has nothing on Valhalla IMO. Guess it all comes down to personal opinion, but this is one of the rare times that I agree with the Golden Tickets.

Last edited:
As someone posted in a different thread, the criteria extends beyond ride experience to operations and reliability. Given the ride operations and the reliability of Valhalla and River Quest recently, Chiapas should be winning the award.

Unsure if it has re-opened yet but as of last week Chiapas had been down for two or three weeks!

We're getting slightly off-topic here but for me Splash Mountain just about beats Chiapas but I love both. Valhalla is a brilliant ride but not the best water ride in the world.

:)

Chiapas being delayed for an entire year and a few other issues it's had have probably counted against it...

It's better than Valhalla purely because it's not dumping the equivalent of the Irish Sea on you...

Chiapas being delayed for an entire year and a few other issues it's had have probably counted against it...
This raises another important point about the awards that was touched upon in the other thread. People rate them using different metrics and criteria. @PeteA used Tatsu as an example.

Valhalla remains my favourite water ride because it offers something none of the others do... A sense of real Danger! The rides finale through the wall of fire is unmatched because you can feel the real flames, and in that brief moment getting completely soaked feels like a blessing.

I forgive the ride for its flaws because the concept behind it was so ambitious, and Blackpool actually pulled it off.

I forgive the ride for its flaws because the concept behind it was so ambitious, and Blackpool actually pulled it off.

Totally agree with that. I cannot comment on the other water rides mentioned as I haven't ridden them but Valhalla is a fantastic ride if you are lucky enough to get most of the effects working.

Sadly it rarely has most effects working these days and it is overly wet for a ride based on the Lancahire coast.

It wouldn't surprise me if the ride is replaced in the next few years.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

This seems very unlikely to me. The ride is still hugely popular, even if it is equally expensive to run on a day-to-day basis. I have always had mixed thoughts on it. Genuinely impressive set pieces are mixed with stretches of nothingness, and some very Geoffrey-era style ghost train touches that lessen the drama of the experience. It's always a must-do for me, though. And I do love that overwhelming chlorine scent.

Totally agree with that. I cannot comment on the other water rides mentioned as I haven't ridden them but Valhalla is a fantastic ride if you are lucky enough to get most of the effects working.

Sadly it rarely has most effects working these days and it is overly wet for a ride based on the Lancahire coast.

What would they replace it with, though? An indoor spinning or powered coaster, perhaps?

What would they replace it with, though? An indoor spinning or powered coaster, perhaps?
Indoor coaster, maybe a water coaster seeing as they already have water there.

Or maybe a fun house

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.